TMC announce 24.5T mineral wagons

Andy Y

The Model Centre ['TMC'] have commissioned Bachmann to produce the 24.5T Mineral Wagon in OO Scale. TMC and Bachmann have been working on the project for over 18 months with the project progressing extremely well.

This completely new tooling creates a family of wagons covering most variances. These differences include two types of axle box, three types of buffers and three different bodies. Covering the period from BR Steam and well into the TOPS era. Between December 1952 and September 1962 BR built 3,395 24.5T mineral wagons to diagrams 1/115 and 1/118. The wagons were built by BR works at Ashford and Shildon. They were built primarily for coal traffic to coal fired power stations and large industrial locations and often worked in block trains. A good number were lettered for specific routes but in practice often strayed from these routes. A small batch were produced with pressed side doors and there were differences in buffer types and axle boxes as well. Their duties meant that they could be found from Scotland to South Wales, virtually anywhere where coal was mined at the time. In later life some had doors sealed or removed and were used to convey other types of load such as sand. The TMC models will cover many of the detail variances to be found on these wagons, brief details given in the descriptions below.

The price of the models will be determined closer to delivery. The models to be produced will be as follows:

38-925Z Set of BR 24.5 Ton Mineral Wagons, B280037 & B280009 in BR Grey Livery with Spindle Buffers & Oil Axleboxes

38-926Z BR 24.5 Ton Mineral Wagon, B282087N, in BR Grey Livery with Pressed Side Doors, Spindle Buffers & Oil Axleboxes

38-927Z BR 24.5 Ton Mineral Wagon, B280883N, in BR Grey Livery with Yellow Triangle, marked 'NO DOORS', Spindle Buffers & Oil Axleboxes

38-928Z Set of 25.5Ton Mineral Wagons B281982 in BR Grey with Yellow Triangle, Black Data Panel marked 'To work between Babbington & Castle Donnington Power Station LMR' with Pressed Side Doors, Spindle Buffers & Roller Bearings and B281146 in BR Grey with Yellow Triangle, chalk lettered 'Load only to C E A Castle Donnington' with Spindle Buffers & Roller Bearings.

38-929Z Set of BR 24.5 Ton Mineral Wagons, B282904 & B282891, in BR Grey with Yellow Triangle, Black Data Panel marked 'Load only to John Summers & Sons Ltd, Hawarden Bridge Shotwick Sidings LMR (GC' , Oleo Buffers & Roller Bearings

38-930Z BR 24.5 Ton Mineral Wagons, B282299, in BR Grey with Yellow Triangle, Black Data Panel marked 'To work between Rawdon Colliery & Hams Hall C Power Station', Self-contained Buffers & Roller Bearings

38-931Z BR 24.5 Ton Mineral Wagon, B281861, in BR Grey Livery marked 'NO DOORS', Data Panel coded SAND, Spindle Buffers & Oil Axleboxes

38-932Z BR 24.5 Ton Mineral Wagon, B282217N, in BR Grey Livery with Yellow Triangle, Data Panel coded COAL 24 1/2, Self-contained Buffers & Roller Bearings

38-933Z BR 24.5 Ton Mineral Wagon, B282827, in BR Grey Livery with Yellow Triangle, Data Panel coded COAL 24 MEO, Oleo Buffers & Roller Bearings

Hill Farm, Beck Hole,

Whitby, YO22 5LF

01947 899125

sales@tmc-direct.com

AY - see Paul Bartlett's image collection for 24.5T MEO wagons here - http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brmineralmeo

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

The top doors are extra tall compared with the 21 ton ones but are easier to spot when mixed!

Mark Saunders

Cheers Mark! Looks like 16 tonners behind the first few so suspected a head of fitted 21 tonners although is a class 8 - but they have double door springs like 24.5 tonners....

Phil

Phil

• RMweb Premium

A quick snap of examples to hand:

post-5204-0-31614700-1521922628_thumb.jpg

Bachmann 16t / Chivers 21t / Parkside 24.5t

Certainly easier to spot when mixed; a trainload of the same, especially fairly head-on, not so easy.

Edited by HillsideDepot
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Adrian

Looking at the relative heights makes me think those are 24.5 tonners leading 1919's train....

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

Hi Guys

Having had a good read and look through this page I know it says they often worked in block trains but the photo in post 8 looks to me at being a mixed train of mineral wagons so my question could these wagons be put into a pick up good or a mixed fraight train or would it be rule 1 again lol

Thanks

Alan

Edited by Thebigshot

So how to differentiate 21 and 24.5 tonners please folks?

Phil

Phil,

The ratio of the top doors on a 21t ( MDV/MDW ) is around a 1/3 of the height to the main body door, where as on a 24.5t ( MEO ) its about half the height of the main body door. Once you can " see" the difference you get your eye in very quickly in spotting them in pictures as they look 'Too Tall'.

Early 21t 2 door opens, and the rebuilds did not have any top doors ( MDO )

Another thing is that if the door spring is visible in the photos, the 21t ( MDV/MDW ) seem to have been built with 2 door springs per door ( and S.A.B. linkage on one side? ), where as the 24.5t seems to have been built with only one per door!

The Yellow triangle mark was also an indication to staff of the larger, 24.5t capacity of these Opens and the Hopper coal wagons too IIRC?

HTH

Meld

Phil,

Another thing is that if the door spring is visible in the photos, the 21t ( MDV/MDW ) seem to have been built with 2 door springs per door ( and S.A.B. linkage on one side? ), where as the 24.5t seems to have been built with only one per door!

HTH

Meld

That is true for the diag. 1/115 wagons, but the diag 1/118 wagons don't only have roller bearings they also have paired door bangers.

A surprising number of my photographs suggest that many originally had the diagonal stripe going right up to the top corner - which is wrong (according to official drawings). It should only be to the top of the door. Because this area on the side is frequently repainted they then have the "correctly positioned" diagonal, but because the upper area remains original a decayed white line can be seen going to the top corner. This http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brmineralmeo/e1f838028 shows this quite well, and how replacement doors appear to have been acquired from a VB wagon (or been repainted at one of the times when BR stopped using a grey for any wagons).

Paul

My first "Parkside" kit bought from the model shop opposite West Croydon bus station back in 1980 ............. I have enough for my "condemned" wagon train ..................

These latest ME) / HUO announcements are almost enough to make one sell all those Cromptons , invest in some 20's, abandon 1970's fitted SR territory and model Gedling Colliery instead ....

• Like 2

I notice one variant they're proposing is one branded 'No Doors' and 'SAND'- I saw one of these on a Brynlliw to Carmarthen Bay P.S. coal train in the early 1970s. Despite the 'No Doors' branding, only the side doors had been removed; the end ones remained.

The same train included examples branded for 'Jon Summer's' as well; I noticed them as one of my uncles worked there. I might get a couple of examples to sit alongside my Ian Kirk 'Originals' and their Parkside cousins.

• RMweb Gold

Another wagon of interest to a mid ‘60s ScR scenario.

Cheers!

D4

True, IIRC they weren't that common a sight south of the border for part of their careers.

Presumably they were too tall to load at certain collieries, too?

I'd personally have preferred a 21-tonner to Diagram 107, which has never been offered in kit-form or r-t-r, to the best of my knowledge. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

True, IIRC they weren't that common a sight south of the border for part of their careers.

Presumably they were too tall to load at certain collieries, too?

I'd personally have preferred a 21-tonner to Diagram 107, which has never been offered in kit-form or r-t-r. 

John

Certainly too tall for the majority of screens in South Wales, and also for the coal-hoists at the ports. I could never understand why, given they were intended for industrial coal, they were built with the 'London Merchants'' top doors.