Hintock St Loe-my OO cameo Inglenook in 6'0 a 1'4

john flann

Like everyone else that was a shock to me. I had a good few PMs from John over the years and he was always supportive when I was going through low periods at home, he always seemed when those times were as well.

I shall miss him greatly but think of him resting in his beloved Dorset countryside.

My condolences to all the family.

Jim

Nicholas, may your father rest in peace, he was always very friendly and encouraging to me.

He loved this picture of GWR Pannier 7714 I once put on the Hintock thread (he said that photos of Panniers never fail to impress), and so I'd like to leave it here as a tribute to him.

post-31351-0-30124600-1522221935_thumb.jpeg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

What a shock. I'm so sorry to here this.

I'd saved this post to enjoy the layout updates over a morning coffee, not what I was expecting.

Best wishes to you all, our thoughts are with you. We will miss his posts massively on the forum.

Although I posted my condolences to Johns Family yesterday I just wanted to add this from my Kings Moreton thread.

John and I conversed via e-mail at least once, sometimes 4 or 5 times a week, over the last 3 years or so. He gave me valuable advice on many issues, and when I was planning Pencarne, he kept saying, TO MUCH TRACK, TAKE OUT ANOTHER SIDING, and he was right, he really was the master of LESS IS MORE and as a digital friend, and commentator on here and my other threads he will be sadly missed.

Andy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You are so thoughtful to post this sad news so short a time after your Dad's death. Such poignant pictures of the layout as well, especially with the spectacles folded neatly at the layout side. Bless you all at what is a very sad time, but rest assured his memory lives long on this Forum.

Phil (in the UK)

Nicholas - This must have come as a huge shock to you and the family, as it did to me. I will pass this on to Chris Ellis (Model Trains International)later today and I know that he will want me to pass on his condolences and commiserations, as indeed do I.

Best

Jack

• Like 3

We all found and followed Johns efforts for the superbly understated layouts, that were so evocatative of another time and place.

But having done so we found one who could be firm of mind, but so kind in explanation.

A true gentleman, and friend, to all of us, and his passing leaves us much the poorer.

Thanks for the memories John.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nicholas - so sorry to hear the sad news and condolences to you and your family.  Some of us are old enough to remember your father's magazine articles from a long time ago and be impressed by the way he carried the spirit of his writing and identity of his railways into the internet age to again inform and entertain us, a sad loss.

Nicholas, as well as accepting our condolences please also know that we are grateful that you took the time to let us know. It isn't unknown for topics to come to an abrupt end on RMWeb with followers having no idea what became of the author. Clearly Hintock and the community that followed it mattered to John and he was in turn was greatly respected.

Andy.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Very sorry to hear about Mr Flann. Like others I have been reading and enjoying his articles for many years and it was always a pleasure to see his new projects developing on RMweb. His modelling always had a distinct signature to it, I found, regardless of whether it was a British scene or a North American one, a certain understated quality that was very easy to recognise but hard to emulate. I think he had an exceptional eye for composition, knowing what to leave out as much as what to put in, and I'm sure his many articles will continue to be quietly inspirational for years to come. Thank you to Nicholas for keeping us informed, and condolences to Mr Flann's family and friends.

Al

• Like 1

What a shock!

My condolences to you Nicholas and all your family.

John's layouts brought great pleasure to so many people.

May he Rest in Peace.

May I add my own condolences, John was a true gentleman. His layouts have always given me great enjoyment and inspiration over many years. God Bless.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

My condolences.

Your dad's modelling was truly inspirational and very distinctive.

It is stating the obvious to observe that the comments that have been generated by your post are indicative of the high esteem in which he was held by modellers all over the world.

He and his posts will be greatly missed.

• RMweb Gold

Nicolas, a great loss to the modelling world, our condolences go with you and yours.  Thank you too for letting us know and your insight of him as you were growing up.

Peter

I remember reading about one of John's layouts in a Model Railway Constructor - think it was the Jan '67 issue. Such detail, yet such simplicity and neatness. He always managed to create a sense of place and space in his modelling.

Little did I know that 50 years later he'd still be inspiring people through the medium of the internet.

John was able to create very effective railway scenes which we could all aspire to.

I never did manage to convince him about trap points though.....

• Like 1

My deepest condolences, His 'Owlcombe' layout from many-a-year ago will always remain amongst my personal favourites.

Please take some solace that John will long be fondly remembered, even by those who didn't know him personally, via his inspirational modelling & well-thought posts.

• Like 1

Hello to all of John's family...

It was with great sadness that I have learnt of your sudden and sad loss, my sincere condolences to everyone.....the messages appearing on here are a testament to John's skills in all aspects of railway modelling, his humanity and willingness to advise and pass on this knowledge to all .....

it also speaks volumes for the acknowledged respect in which he was held and always will be remembered by the members of this site....

Regards always...Bob (UK)

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

Very sorry to hear about John's sudden passing, thanks for taking the time to let us know Nicholas; my sympathy to yourself and all of John's family.

Although I didn't know him personally, John's modelling was inspirational and superbly executed, always well worth a look. He will be missed by a great many fellow modellers.

Martyn.