Witney Euston

mitziblue

Hi Mark,

Not my era, scale or region, but truly inspirational modelling for me nonetheless. I love the winter setting, and so well done too, not easy but very refreshing. I always thought that one day when I get bored of my layout, I'd turn it into a snow scene.

Looking forward to watching your progress!

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

Hi all

Now I did say I would put a post in each week so not to go back on myself here goes.

Modelling time is getting cut as Christmas is approaching and tonight could be my last chance for a few weeks supposed to be on holiday for a fortnight now but find myself busier than normal. :(

I have pulled off the landscape this week to put a few figures into the scene. These are white metal kits which i have butchered a bit to fit the time frame better and also to cut down the chunkiness of the material

Transfers have been drawn and printed for a couple of the carts which I am very happy with and before someone mentions the Whychwood brewery didn't come into existence until 1990 I consider those bad days and should never be recalled. ;)

All this leaves me to do is wish you all a merry Christmas and a happy New Year :D

Mark :)

post-7093-12631573961047_thumb.jpg

post-7093-12631573983739_thumb.jpg

Hello Mark,

Some great progress is being made, I'm taken back by how effect the snow looks. Top stuff. Out of interest, how did you model the track in the yard? Did you use clay/plaster instead of ballast?

Cheers,

Bryn

how did you model the track in the yard? Did you use clay/plaster instead of ballast?

Hi Bryn

As this is the first real attempt at a layout I have treated the whole thing as a test bed for ideas picked up from other people, this forum and a few of my own.The original idea for this came from Mr Nevards Catcott Burtle layout. Air dry clay is pushed in and around the sleepers and textured with a brush in a stippling motion. My first attempt at this kept cracking as it dried. Second attempt was to seal the board with dilluted p v a but again to a lesser extent it cracked, rubbing water in solved a lot of the problem but a few still came back and as it was late at night when I done this I was not on hand to keep an eye on it.

Finally I tried Das air drying modelling clay and this worked fine with no signs of cracks at all.

Mark. :)

Finally I tried Das air drying modelling clay and this worked fine with no signs of cracks at all.

Thank you Mark,

I did a small trial with Das and it seems to of worked. Do you have any tips on applying it? I've been messing around with the tip of a flat blade screw driver. Is there a better (quicker...) method?

Cheers,

Bryn

• RMweb Premium

I've used a lot of das for making simulated stonework. I usually cut a piece of the block then roll it out into a thin sheet on a piece of glass. then spread pva on the area it's going on. Stick it down then work it while it;s still wet. Depending on the surface effect that you want anything will do I used the blunt end of a small paintbrush and rolled it to create each stone block after marking the outline with a slightly blunted cocktail stick. I used to be able to work iot for about 20 minutes before it started drying at the edges. The main thing is not to put too big a sheet on ir the tin sheet will dry before you get all the surface finished. Have fun.

Jamie

I did a small trial with Das and it seems to of worked. Do you have any tips on applying it? I've been messing around with the tip of a flat blade screw driver. Is there a better (quicker...) method?

Hi Bryn

To be honest i just rubbed it in with the end of my finger and cleaned up with a flat blade screwdriver also washed of the clay with a wet tooth brush.

Mark

Hi

I trust you all had a great Christmas break I know I did but spent a lot of it away from home. As a result nothing was accomplished on the layout.

That is not to say it was all rest and alcohol admittedly I did have my fair share of both but modelling also continued in the form of coaching stock. These have taken a fair while to build originally started two years ago but when I got the final two for Christmas I felt it was time to crack on. These are Worsley works 2mm 6 wheel s&d stock and all that is left to do now is fix the running chassis when they turn up from fencehouse foundry.

post-7093-12631572905977_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi

I trust you all had a great Christmas break I know I did but spent a lot of it away from home. As a result nothing was accomplished on the layout.

That is not to say it was all rest and alcohol admittedly I did have my fair share of both but modelling also continued in the form of coaching stock. These have taken a fair while to build originally started two years ago but when I got the final two for Christmas I felt it was time to crack on. These are Worsley works 2mm 6 wheel s&d stock and all that is left to do now is fix the running chassis when they turn up from fencehouse foundry.

Hi Mark the coaches look realy good. I have a rake of MR clearstory coaches on the go at the moment (see 2mm VAG). The thing that I am most daunted by is painting, and particularly lining them. How did you do yours?

Jerry

These are Worsley works 2mm 6 wheel s&d stock and all that is left to do now is fix the running chassis when they turn up from fencehouse foundry.

Mark smile.gif

G??™day Mark, first the midland clerestory??™s and now these S+DJR 6 wheelers, do you have crystal ball looking into my 'to do' box. When I got mine, the Worsley Works etches came with Cleminson frames. Are the Fencehouse ones better? I still haven??™t started on the clerestory??™s yet, which of the 2 (clerestory or S+DJR 6 wheeler) gave you the least difficulties?

• RMweb Gold

G??™day Mark, first the midland clerestory??™s and now these S+DJR 6 wheelers, do you have crystal ball looking into my 'to do' box. When I got mine, the Worsley Works etches came with Cleminson frames. Are the Fencehouse ones better? I still haven??™t started on the clerestory??™s yet, which of the 2 (clerestory or S+DJR 6 wheeler) gave you the least difficulties?

I have yet to order a set of Worsley works SDJR coaches (though I will be)so I can't comment on their Cleminson frames but I have built a couple of the Fencehouses ones. They were designed by Bob Jones and Jim Watt specifically for 2FS and are a realy clever design which can be built to a variety of wheelbases. They result in a very free running and stable chassis and can be highly recomended.

Jerry

The thing that I am most daunted by is painting, and particularly lining them. How did you do yours?

Hi Jerry

I know exactlly what you mean. Crimson lake paint from the railmatch range seems to be nothing stronger than a tinted varnish. I used a white primer with my first attempts which resulted in a pink finish and took to many coats to get the desired colour,grey doesn't seem much better either . In the end I opted for Halfords red primer which is close to red oxide, then just a short blast with the air brush gives the correct shade to the finish.

As for the lining, when the paint has completely dried (24 hours) i took a scalpel blade and scratched back the paint to expose the bear brass where the lining is raised on the coach sides. I notice your kits are brass so will not cause a problem for you to do. The black lines are beyond me i'm afraid but i have done the end of the coaches with an ink pen using 50/50 mix of paint and thiners.

Your coaches are looking great and look forward to seeing more progrees. :)

Neb

The simple reason i have not used the cleminson frames is Allen is out of stock of them at the moment and as Jerry has said the fencehouse ones look fabulous.

AS for which set of coaches are easier to build, both bodies go together the same but the clerestories have no roof which is a bit of a pig to form yourself,bogies have to be made for them which the 2mm association can supply and the under frames have to be made which all in all creates a much longer build.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jerry

I know exactlly what you mean. Crimson lake paint from the railmatch range seems to be nothing stronger than a tinted varnish. I used a white primer with my first attempts which resulted in a pink finish and took to many coats to get the desired colour,grey doesn't seem much better either . In the end I opted for Halfords red primer which is close to red oxide, then just a short blast with the air brush gives the correct shade to the finish.

As for the lining, when the paint has completely dried (24 hours) i took a scalpel blade and scratched back the paint to expose the bear brass where the lining is raised on the coach sides. I notice your kits are brass so will not cause a problem for you to do. The black lines are beyond me i'm afraid but i have done the end of the coaches with an ink pen using 50/50 mix of paint and thiners.

Your coaches are looking great and look forward to seeing more progrees. :)

Thanks for that Mark. It was the lining that was worrying me most and its very reasuring to know that the siplified lining you have gone for is so afective. Your experience with the crimson lake is also very useful.

Progress on my coaches will slow down now the christmas break is over. I also have a long list of jobs to do on the colliery before its next outing to Ally Pally at the end of March. I know its almost two months away but I've left things to the last minute before......

Jerry

Hi All

Have I been concentrating to much on my layout lately, every where I look I see snow.

Had to take a day off Wednesday so took the opportunity to work on my Bain clerestory coaches. Two had previously been built about a year ago so while building the six wheelers I worked on these as well. All sprayed up now and glazed also tried out some weathering on them with the help of a new book.

Today the layout was set up in the house and I cleaned the track (that snow gets every where). Took most of the day but in the end the layout was behaving itself and I enjoyed shunting a few wagons around hindered by the layout on a slope, will have to fit the leg adjusters soon these 2mm chasis roll far to easy. :lol:

Took a few shots before I striped it back down just hope they upload all right.

post-7093-12631571484715_thumb.jpg

post-7093-12631571500096_thumb.jpg

post-7093-12631571517959_thumb.jpg

post-7093-12631571534056_thumb.jpg

Is the weigh bridge office at the entrance to the yard on your layout aligned correctly?

Hi Simon

Had a scan of the interweb and the few books I have, have to agree with you on this so the building has been dug up and replanted in new position.

Thanks for the help with this if you spot anything else please don't hesitates to tell me .

• RMweb Gold

Mark

That looks great - really enjoyed to see those new photos of the layout in its entirety - the snow has been well executed too as I guess it would be easy to overdo it but I think you have captured it very well :icon_thumbsup2:

I assume the last board will get a dusting of the white stuff sometime?

Pete

I assume the last board will get a dusting of the white stuff sometime?

Hi Pete

Still have a lot of work to do on this board,wall the other side of the road,cattle docks,station building to finish and the mills storage sheds then the snow will fall.

Hello Mark

I must agree with Pete. It really does look the part now, those last few photos are really good.

Missy

Hi M

Glad you approve may make some progress today due to another snow day good to know you got home safely.

Hi All

Had a bit of fun today weathering some wagons. also made some tarpaulins for the open wagons from cigarette papers, simply painted them a brown/black and inked the lettering in with a fountain pen when glued on I toned them down with weathering powders.

post-7093-12636710614426_thumb.jpg

Good evening

I must confess buildings are not one of my strong point :( .I first started the station building some two years ago and returned to it on the odd occasion only to end up frustrated with it :angry: . This weekend showed little change to the situation but it was one of the biggest jobs left to do. One of the chimneys had to be rebuilt as the previous one had gone walk about also the canopy had to be fixed, then there was all the little details to worry about. The fire buckets started off as white metal castings but as I cleaned them up I discovered they were over scale and far to bulky so the lathe was dug out and six new ones turned of which I lost two, and brass wire handles soldered on. Also the plank they hang on was to course and this was remade with plasticard and guitar string hooks.

Patience is not my strong point at the moment due to having another go at quitting smoking not that it should be an excuse but I will leave the building as is for now and maybe come back to it at a later date.

Mark.

post-7093-12638479152262_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Patience is not my strong point at the moment due to having another go at quitting smoking not that it should be an excuse but I will leave the building as is for now and maybe come back to it at a later date.

Mark.

Keep at it mate. The building looks fine. The giving up smoking is a pig - I know I did it loads of times!! I did manage to finaly kick it about two and a half years ago and whilst it was terrible for concentration innitialy it was worth it in the end and productivity went up as I didn't keep stopping for a fag. Work out how much you are saving and then go and spend it on some complete indulgance - I bought a Bob Jones 9F kit (not that I,ve built it yet).

best of luck, Jerry

Archived