Bespoke Drive System

matt1471

So I've just installed my Heljan Transfer table and sadly, as many internet posts suggest....it's a pile of poo!! 

Having looked at the problem, the motor is incredibly loud so this can be replaced and I'd like to think, quite easily.

This has a worm drive attached to the spindle which in turn then turns a plastic toothed wheel on the axle which then turns and drives the end toothed wheels along the rack, thus moving the table along the rails.

The issue is that the plastic toothed wheels slip on the metal axle.

My proposal is to replaced the motor and fixed a brass worm drive and brass wheel to the axle.

And then to prevent any further spinning of the plastic toothed wheels on the axle, to have them replaced or modified with a spline.

Can anyone advise where I might be able to look for some bespoke or off the shelf parts to do this?

I've looked at Markits and they seem a good place to start

Thoughts?

• RMweb Premium

Have you tried securing the plastic gears on the axle with one of the many varieties of Loctite? There's one grade designed for that sort of purpose. looking at the website it could be 638, or you could try one like 435 or 438. The website is a mine of information, so you should be able to find one perfect for what you want. And they will send you samples too!

http://www.loctite.co.uk/homepage.htm

Andy G

Edited by uax6

Hi uax6,

I didn't realise Loctite was that comprehensive!! I shall certainly have a look and give it a go.

Would be good to come up with a more robust solution and upgrade.  I suspect over time it will fail again! 

Matt

If there is room the best way to secure plastic gears to an axle is with a roll pin, Photocopiers seem to have their plastic gears held this way as I found when recovering components recently. Ti keeps them concentric on the axle and of course you can't use a grub screw in soft plastic.

Loctite works well on metal to metal but I've not had much success using it on plastic.   Gorilla Glue seems pretty tenacious.

The whole operating mechanism sounds like a lash up.  CD players use a threaded rod which pulls almost a "Nut" attached to the traversing part along two parallel polished rods. Something similar should be easy enough to cobble up using a bit of studding and a nut as a drive, can't really be worse or noisier than standard