Hornby B set Coach (Maroon)

Blobrick

• RMweb Premium

Gents

I Like to ask if anyone has attempted to remove the lining on the latest Hornby version of the old Mainline B set coach?

I am attempting to replicate the coaches which ran on the Kingsbridge branch toward the end of the branch's life. Whilst the model in question is not the most accurate or even the right type for the branch, it’s the best available in the RTR sector today (Hint Hint Mr Hornby!!)

I am wondering if its possible to remove the lining without having to repaint the coach.

Thanks in advance

Bob C

• RMweb Gold

Be careful as the old Mainline mouldings don't like abrasive fluids like white spirit to remove insignia and lining. Even something like Modelset might leave a shiny surface when removing the lining.

• RMweb Premium

Be careful as the old Mainline mouldings don't like abrasive fluids like white spirit to remove insignia and lining. Even something like Modelset might leave a shiny surface when removing the lining.

Right thanks for that Rob

mmmmmmmm possibly "T" cut and a cotton bud then?

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone else got any ideas please?

• RMweb Gold

Nail varnish remover does it for me, with Acetone, just light touch, it’ll come loose very quickly, and only on the area to remove, it’ll unstick a lot of things, so caution it’s easy to make a mess, but it’s quick.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

Nail varnish remover does it for me, with Acetone, just light touch, it’ll come loose very quickly, and only on the area to remove, it’ll unstick a lot of things, so caution it’s easy to make a mess, but it’s quick.

Sounds an interesting idea, thank you for that, l ll be raiding my wife's supply tonight!

Bob C

• RMweb Gold

I would prefer to repaint the coach, as you are (assumption being made here) going for a plain unlined livery, 1956 maroon or 1949 crimson.  Take the coach apart and remove the glazing; you can paint the interior and put some passengers in as well if you want, and this makes a big difference to the appearance of the model.

I repainted a very old plain maroon set dating from Airfix days recently into crimson, and took the opportunity to fill in the incorrect window in the guard's compartment (left hand end each side of the set) with milliput while I was at it.  I also replaced the flush glazing with ordinary plastiglaze, which I was not initially sure about.  In the event, the loss of the prismatic effect on the supplied glazing, which had become fogged over time, made the windows look better in my view; the set looks much more realistic and will stand cursory comparison with a Comet kit, and I haven't even had a go at the underframe and bogies yet!

Number transfers are available.

The old Airfix / Mailine / Dapol / early Hornby coaches are all relatively cheap secondhand. Choose what best suits your purpose. All my old coaches have been refitted with Hornby metal wheels. I am guessing that the underframes will be interchangeable and you could swap your latest Horny for any of the old ones.

Might save you less heartache than scraping / sanding lining.

I have two Blog Posts dealing with these particular coaches:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/880/entry-15937-%E2%80%98b%E2%80%99-set-couplings-and-colours/

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/880/entry-16042-the-ex-gwr-%E2%80%98b%E2%80%99-set-continued/

Ray

Hello Scott

Not sure who you are asking.

You filled in the window? Is it double doors on one side and single on the other then?

I don't do exciting things like filling doors and windows.  You might have spotted a pair of Bachmann Mk1 suburbans (brake 2nd and composite)

Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines

• RMweb Gold

You filled in the window? Is it double doors on one side and single on the other then?

No, double doors both sides.  The window I mean (sorry, should have been more specific) is the one between the door marked 'Guard', which has a droplight window, and the rearmost passenger compartment of the left hand coach when you look at the set from the side.  The coach sides are mirror images of each other on the model, but not in reality and this window is not there.  The one opposite, which provides light for the guard's desk and pigeon holes, is, and must be retained on the model.

Starting at the leff hand end, luggage compartment doors 2x with droplights, guard's door with droplight, then the compartments, then the other coach; compartments, window for guard's desk, guard's door with droplight, and 2x luggage compartment doors with droplights.  The other side is the same, and not a mirror image.

I used milliput, but any similar material would do.  Slightly overfill the reveal, so that you have material to smooth down to a good finish level with the coach side.  In the case of milliput, a drop of warm water before the stuff dries out will help this process.  I initially rubbed the milliput down with my finger to get close, then ran a straight edge across, then filed to finish when the milliput had dried.  I used Humbrol Acrylic crimson, RC423, to paint the coaches, and found it was able to cover the different colour of the milliput filled window in two coats; I am very happy with the finish.

• RMweb Premium

Blobrick, do not forget that those B sets were used on the Kingsbridge branch prior to 1956.

Chris

Hi Chris

Yes l ve got a pair in crimson already, l m looking for another to make up a single coach with a southern 4 wheel cct. But l m having trouble finding a maroon version to run with the Collett 3rd brake l got,  I was hoping there was an easy fix to remove the lining !

• RMweb Premium

I Like to ask if anyone has attempted to remove the lining on the latest Hornby version of the old Mainline B set coach?

Are you possibly at cross purposes here? Does the caveat about removing the lining apply to current production?

Hi Chris

Yes l ve got a pair in crimson already, l m looking for another to make up a single coach with a southern 4 wheel cct. But l m having trouble finding a maroon version to run with the Collett 3rd brake l got,  I was hoping there was an easy fix to remove the lining !

Remember also that they were permanently coupled and therefore could not run singly, which is why they were exchanged for a type that could.

Chris

Hello Gents, it looks like youve got the window problem sorted now. I did much the same thing as Johnster- but instead used 'niceday' typewriter correction fluid to fill the redundant window recesses!!

Article about it here in my blog:http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1563/entry-19768-sproston-getting-the-b-set-back-into-service/

Regards

(SIGTECH)

Steve.

Edited by sigtech

• RMweb Gold

Are you possibly at cross purposes here? Does the caveat about removing the lining apply to current production?

My experience was with the old 70s model not the newer produced versions.