Advice for someone thinking of starting modelling American

Jerry1975

Thanks Zomboid.

You could just do a layout in a boxfile using 40ft cars but not very exciting operationally although I like a challenge, I might give it a go just as something to build whilst I research as I have loads of offcuts of track.

Jerry.

Jerry.

Micro layouts are described as "within four square feet"

I'm thinking... 2' x 2' O scale, with a fiddle stick to represent the rest of the world.

I'm convinced it's not only doable, but operationally viable.

• Like 2

Thanks for your replies everyone.

I'm very tempted to give a boxfile a go just for fun, I don't think there are many U.S ones.

One in 2ftx2ft O scale sounds very interesting.

I'm just getting ideas at the moment, but the boxfile is really tempting me.

Jerry.

Micro layouts are described as "within four square feet"

I'm thinking... 2' x 2' O scale, with a fiddle stick to represent the rest of the world.

I'm convinced it's not only doable, but operationally viable.

I think 4' x 1' in O is more practical, didn't some learned gentleman from the antipodes do something similar ?..................

It could also 'plug-in' to the FreemO concept. :senile:

Now where did I put that Lionel Trackmobile ?.................................. :scratchhead:

Edited by mikjd
  • Like 2

Hi Everyone.

I'm still researching for my layout, I bought the peco American railroading book and got a bargain north American railroads book.

I'm trying to get ideas for a micro layout, I have a 4ft x 1ft pine board to build something.

Jerry.

Hi Everyone.

I'm still researching for my layout, I bought the peco American railroading book and got a bargain north American railroads book.

I'm trying to get ideas for a micro layout, I have a 4ft x 1ft pine board to build something.

Jerry.

Jerry like you I am building my first US railroad. I am building a track plan fro Carl Caredt called "Wye River City" on a board 4x1. I have used Peco settrack point and my first loco ran last night. Very happy . If needed I will also use the Peco loco lift. I see a number of people have used a simular track people.

Milano

• RMweb Gold

That's my train set!

I can heartily recommend the HO shelf layouts facebook group - I joined on the recommendation of Jon Grant and Ray O'Neill after chats at York while admiring "End of the Spur"

A more modern layout is "in development" - I have some stock already partly or as yet "un" weathered..

post-1107-0-03810200-1523208432_thumb.jpgpost-1107-0-12173500-1523208444_thumb.jpgpost-1107-0-52089700-1523208462_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I do like inglenooks . Any idea of the dimensions for this one?

Milano

The idea is to take the concept and shape it to suit your needs.

Thanks.

I have been thinking about what to build lately and reading about various layouts.

I have also been sketching out some ideas but can't seem to settle on anything.

Jerry.

• RMweb Gold

I have also been sketching out some ideas but can't seem to settle on anything.

Don't worry - you can build a second layout when you've worked out how you would improve on Layout 1... :)

• RMweb Gold

But seriously - you need to decide what is essential in your track plan and what is simply nice to have - list both  - then decide on a plan - the US Model Railroaders call it "givens and druthers" I seem to recall...

• RMweb Gold

“Givens” refers to things like physical space constraints - not just how much, but also the shape, etc - and to things such as chosen scale, prototype, era, type of layout, etc. Things which are non-negotiable.

“Druthers” are strong preferences which are not essential, e.g. “I’d ruther have a passenger station as well, but not if it means sacrificing a comprehensive yard, which is a given for me.”

• Like 1

Jerry - I seem to remember you have a small shelf and were wondering about a track plan - does this help - it will give you a small easy start - the pivot for the sector plate is on a plug-in "fiddlestick" that can be removed for storage. The industry doesn't HAVE to be a pickle factory, but can be changed to anything you require. Hope it helps

Jack

post-6688-0-66321300-1523441763_thumb.jpg

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1

Funnily enough Jack I was thinking about something very similar so thanks for that.

I have decided on period, and I have some wagons etc just deciding what to do with them, I do like Jacks idea.

Jerry.