How Do I Remove This Motor From A Rivarossi-N-Gauge-Scale-9170-261-DB-Diesel-Loco.

itsthegman

Hello

I hope the this is the right place to ask but how to i remove the motor from this Rivarossi N Gauge Diesel loco.

The motor seems to be kaput and i have gotten the top off removed the brushes but can't see a way to get the motor out short of destroying the chassis.

I would like to get it out and save the worm gear so that i can attempt to re-motor, the next part of the plan would be to turn the wheels down to 2mm fine scale sta dard, one thing at a time motor first.

Any ideas?.

post-16566-0-15492500-1521402904_thumb.jpg

post-16566-0-25280800-1521402913_thumb.jpg

post-16566-0-54612800-1521402924_thumb.jpg

Your hopefully.

G.

It's a bit hard to tell from the pics but I would hazard a guess that the odd looking washer thingy was pressed on to hold the armature in place. I'd be inclined to tap the end of the shaft with a punch. I'm a bit worried about where the brushes are. Is there any way to remove them or have you removed them already?

BTW, the armature windings look OK. Maybe it's a worn or contaminated brush problem.

• RMweb Gold

I'm in deepest darkest Hampshire.

Whats your thinking on how it might come out?.

G.

I get across to Hampshire quite often. Maybe I can drop by and take a look.

But I am with Andy that it is something to do with that washer. I also recall some older N gauge motors that involved circlips.

But also, as Andy says, the armature looks fine. So perhaps no need to get it out. Do you have a meter to test it?

It's a bit hard to tell from the pics but I would hazard a guess that the odd looking washer thingy was pressed on to hold the armature in place. I'd be inclined to tap the end of the shaft with a punch. I'm a bit worried about where the brushes are. Is there any way to remove them or have you removed them already?

Hi yes I did remove the brushes they don't look good.

I can't see the washer thing can you point it out too me?.

G.

can't see the washer thing can you point it out too me?.

It's the slotted circular thing in the middle of the lower pic, but before you try to remove it might be better to replace the brushes or even reinstall the old ones, and do a continuity across the motor with a meter.

Good News, Bad News and Other News.

Following on from some of your suggestions i took the meter to the armature which seemed to be inconclusive.

I spent a little time making some really small cotton buds to clean the brush hoods guides and armature face which worked well lots of dirt.

Upon trying the re-assembled motor it would run but only if you give it a spin so to speak which makes me think one phase has gone.

I did check closer and found a broken winding showing so went back to plan A remove the motor.

Just to see what happened i tapped the top of the armature shaft that was exposed and it moved quite easily so after a short time i removed the pinion gear with shaft.

See the picture.

post-16566-0-28238500-1522424301_thumb.jpg

Now i need to wait for my micro pinion puller to show up and for the second time remove said gear from a shaft (i have a minitrix motor to do the same on again a dead phase on the motor).

So for the Riva chassis i need to find a replacement motor round (as the body is full of a machined weight) with a shaft size of 1.42mm or there about's.

I guess it's time for coffee and a scout on ebay. Old motor can is 14.5mm diameter and 12.5mm in height here's hoping for a 5 pole something.

I did have a closer look at the wheels and think i can make up something to mount them in the lathe i intend to reduce the flange to 2mm fine scale standards but i may do less to the tread as the molded center might look odd then re-gauge to 9.42mm. 

A little progress at least.