Decoder at Fault?

Sir TophamHatt

I’m not clear whether the Hattons product is actually faulty,

The point is that the Hattons staff member agreed that it sounded as though the decoders were faulty. That's good enough for me.

Odd that a ‘new’ decoder should display settings that are not default.

I have seen this a time or two and now the first thing I do is a reset of any new decoder to get all the ducks in a row for starters.

In my opinion Hattons don’t really have a leg to stand on under the ‘unfit for purpose’ clause where they have recommended that decoder for that model.

Rob.

have you removed ALL the capacitors (including the one beneath the motor)-  and also seen if there was a difference between back emf on and off ??  ....   not that that excuses unworkable performance - but may explain it,and the highlight the decoder weakness.

To be fair, I didn't.

The 48xx/58xx: I didn't check but heard it was a pig to get into.

The Pannier: I didn't remove the capacitor / supression disc. It was DCC Ready though so thought I'd leave it as standard as possible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've just had a similar problem with a friends Heljan 13xx panier tank fitted with a dcc concepts 6 pin plug in chip. The random stopping and starting a low speeds was just like the video clips linked to on page 1. We spent a lot of time looking at pickups and the potential  for mechanical lock ups before taking the decoder out and running on dc. Sweet as a nut without the chip. Wonder if chips are badge engineered items and there's a duff batch doing the rounds.

Edited by Neil

To be fair, I didn't.

The 48xx/58xx: I didn't check but heard it was a pig to get into.

The Pannier: I didn't remove the capacitor / supression disc. It was DCC Ready though so thought I'd leave it as standard as possible.

The DCC models I have had remove the capacitor (and coil if fitted) from the circuit when you unplug the blanking plate though it stays physically within the loco to enable reversion to DC if required

Edited by WIMorrison