Minerva announce Manning Wardle K Class 0-6-0ST

Andy Y

MINERVA MODEL RAILWAYS ANNOUNCES THE MANNING WARDLE K CLASS 0-6-0 SADDLE-TANK LOCOMOTIVE IN 7MM ‘O’ GAUGE (1:43.5) FOR 32MM STANDARD GAUGE

Minerva Model Railways, the independent company formed by Chris Basten and Chris Klein,    announces the production of a finescale, injection-moulded 0 gauge model of the Manning Wardle K Class 0-6-0 saddle-tank locomotive in 7mm scale (1:43.5, for 32mm standard gauge).  It is the ideal locomotive for industrial and light railways as well as some mainline settings and follows Minerva’s highly acclaimed Great Western Railway 57XX/8750 0-6-0 pannier tank locomotives. 

The first of Manning Wardle’s Class K was built in 1864 at the company’s factory in Leeds. Many of these locomotives were built specifically for civil engineering contractors, including those engaged in building railways.  Subsequently, many of these engines found their way onto industrial and light railways with a few ending up in mainline company ownership, including the Great Central Railway and Great Western Railway. There were many variations to these locomotives including different cab, buffers, brakes, sandboxes etc.  The engines were long-lived and at least two are preserved. 

K Class.jpg

The Manning Wardle will be built to the same general specification as Minerva’s GWR 57XX/8750 0-6-0PT, Kerr Stuart Victory 0-6-0T and Peckett 0-4-0ST locomotives.  It is believed to be the smallest mass-produced, injected moulded 0 Gauge model steam locomotive ever produced. The small size of the model has presented several engineering challenges and will feature a new smaller motor. The illustration is an early CAD drawing with much more detail still to be added. 

Technical Specification

An injection-moulded body 

Over 200 individual components

Die cast metal chassis 

Fine scale wheels 

Six-wheel electrical pickup 

High-torque flywheel-equipped motor, driving the rear axle 

40:1 precision gearbox for slow, smooth running 

Options include DC/DCC ready, DCC-fitted and DCC sound fitted 

Cab detail 

Sprung buffers 

Hook draw-gear with three-link couplings 

Choice of three liveries: lined dark crimson, lined dark blue and lined black. 

A bespoke DCC sound project is being developed.  Design work is almost complete and the Manning Wardle is expected to be available in time for Christmas 2018. 

The retail prices including UK VAT are expected to be: 

DC - £255

DCC fitted – £310

DCC and sound fitted - £380

Advanced orders will be taken until the end of business on 30th September 2018 and will qualify for a discount of £25.  The models will only be available direct from Minerva Models via mail and telephone order, the Minerva website and from the Minerva stand at selected model railway shows.

Further information is available from the Minerva Models website www.minervamodelrailways.co.uk. You can also contact us via e-mail sales@minervamodelrailways.co.uk or telephone 02920 531246/07775 782086. 
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Sorry about that. We are trying to solve the technical problem. Meanwhile, I have attached a copy of the order form.

Regards,

Chris

Thanks Chris, much appreciated. 

Just scanned mine in and emailed it over - is is Christmas yet?!?!  :yahoo:

Knowing that generally Minerva have their timescales pretty much nailed down before making announcements, when might we expect to know what the colours / lining styles are going to be like? Thankfully there’s plenty of time before the pre-order cut off at the end of September. Just undecided currently on which one to go for.

Cheers,

Andrew

Knowing that generally Minerva have their timescales pretty much nailed down before making announcements, when might we expect to know what the colours / lining styles are going to be like? Thankfully there’s plenty of time before the pre-order cut off at the end of September. Just undecided currently on which one to go for.

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew,

Planned liveries are:

- Dark crimson with block black and yellow lining.

- Dark (prussian) blue with red and straw lining with scalloped corners

- Black with a fine straw line and convex radiused corners.

We will publish the artwork when we have finalised it.

Regards,

Chris

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Woohoo - best announcement so far for RTR 0 gauge! Thank you Chris and Chris!

I have to agree with the comments above - I have to sit opposite Neil at work and he's had a silly grin on his face since 10.00am this morning - it can't be that he's happy with his work (that's usually head down and lots of muttering) - I suppose it could be wind but it's more likely that he's rather pleased with this announcement especially as he tells me he has Order No 1 and I see that our friend and co-conspirator on layout planning and narrow gauge modelling, Andy is also planning a purchase (as of course will I once we have made some progress on sorting things out after the recent house move).

• Like 2

Andrew,

Planned liveries are:

- Dark crimson with block black and yellow lining.

- Dark (prussian) blue with red and straw lining with scalloped corners

- Black with a fine straw line and convex radiused corners.

We will publish the artwork when we have finalised it.

Regards,

Chris

Thanks Chris, thought that might be the case. An order will follow in due course (I have greater patience than Neil it seems!!) when I’ve decided which one to go for.

Here’s hoping it warms up between now and delivery...

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's very welcome to see a return to small light/industrial loco production, after those rather bigger locos!

It's also worth noting that both the K and slightly larger L classes also ran with an all over cab with sides, like 'Bamburgh' [North Sunderland Railway] giving a more modern appearance, and when fitted you can't tell the difference between the K and L types. Preserved [static] K classes are 'Aldwyth' in Leeds Industrial Museum and 'Sharpthorn' on the Bluebell, the L class are slightly more active with 'Sir Berkeley' [cabless] and 'Matthew Murray' [cabbed] also both in Yorkshire, KWVR and Middleton Railways respectively.

Even if the Minerva model has the wrapover cab/spectacle plate only, I'm sure there would be interest in a simple etched cab of the later design too.

Dava

• Informative/Useful 1

It's very welcome to see a return to small light/industrial loco production, after those rather bigger locos!

It's also worth noting that both the K and slightly larger L classes also ran with an all over cab with sides, like 'Bamburgh' [North Sunderland Railway] giving a more modern appearance, and when fitted you can't tell the difference between the K and L types. Preserved [static] K classes are 'Aldwyth' in Leeds Industrial Museum and 'Sharpthorn' on the Bluebell, the L class are slightly more active with 'Sir Berkeley' [cabless] and 'Matthew Murray' [cabbed] also both in Yorkshire, KWVR and Middleton Railways respectively.

Even if the Minerva model has the wrapover cab/spectacle plate only, I'm sure there would be interest in a simple etched cab of the later design too.

Dava

Dava makes a very good point, especially about the cabs, but, there are so many variations that we had to land on something. We chose this particular cab because it will be a very simple matter to slice off the roof and rear to leave the large weatherboard as seen in this photo I took of the sadly derelict SHARPTHORN at Horsted Keynes last summer. 

Regards,

CK 

post-13142-0-41063400-1521486516_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I have been struggling to find photos of the GCR examples. So far the only two I have found are in Dow, volume 2, showing locos in early condition. And yes, they do have open cabs at that point.

The search for a later photo continues...

Very nice that may have to join the Ixion Hudswell Clarke just to keep it company :)

Oi..!! Not fair!! :nono: Here I was, thinking my money's safe as I'm not into Industrial Kettles, and you go & remind me I have one of those, bought when my lad took a brief interest in O Scale steam. :(

I now feel slightly tempted :shout:

A lie down in a dark room might help :tease:

The crucial question for me is how easy it will be to convert to S7. If it's reasonably easy I'll have two. Otherwise it'll have to be back to the kit/scratch route.

Richard

We are specifying clearances to accommodate the wider S7 wheel spacing. Stand by for news on this and other channels.