#1 bryherw

bryherw

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 17:55

Hi all,

I noticed on another thread that news of our programme has created a bit of stir! And I thought I'd take the opportunity to answer a few queries that have been raised. 

THE GREAT MODEL RAILWAY CHALLENGE - CHANNEL 5 (FILMING MAY & JUNE 2018) 

- The aim of the programme is to bring this beloved hobby to a wider audience and we are working alongside market leader manufacturers, magazines, exhibition organisers and professional modellers to ensure that this programme is authentic and true to the hobby.

- We want to showcase the remarkable skills of British model makers and shine a light on the fantastic diorama and layouts usually only appreciated by those involved in the hobby.

- The programme aims to show audiences the years of commitment and care that goes into these models (by featuring at home loft and basement layouts) whilst also demonstrating that this is a hobby that anyone can take up should they have the interest and that it's accessible to all.

- This is how we came up with the concept of creating diorama and layouts in a limited time frame, as an exciting challenge that demonstrates the skills required and also tests our talented modellers ingenuity. 

- The competition is intended to be friendly and positive, encouraging teams to create something incredible and unique on screen. We as a production team and our manufacturer partners will do all we can to support the teams to create the best models possible in the time allowed, we want to wow the audience! 

- Filming will take place in Henley in May and June 2018 and competitors would need to commit to filming for at least 3 weekdays filming for the heats and a further 6 days if they successfully progress to the semi final and final.

- We will cover costs for teams transportation and accommodation, refreshments, meals etc. And crucially building materials! 

- This programme has been commissioned by Channel 5 and has nothing to do with any previous model railway programmes. 

For further information or to discuss any of the above in more detail, please don't hesitate to call me or Daniella on 02087406300 or email bryher@knickerbockerglory.tv or daniella@knickerbockerglory.tv to register your interest.

We are coming towards the end of our casting process and we are keen to make sure we've reached out to as many people involved in the hobby as possible. 

Application deadline is looming! We are going to start signing off teams at the beginning of April. So please don't hesitate to get in touch if you're interested. We think this could be a wonderful opportunity for all those who are involved.  :)

• Like x 3
  • Informative/Useful x 1

#2 Phil Parker

Phil Parker

• Administrators
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationLeamington Spa

Posted 28 March 2018 - 13:49

I had a chat with the producer at the weekend, hopefully we've answered a few of your questions:

#3 Chris M

Chris M

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 18:35

I think this is a great project. Unfortunately I can’t take part due to other commitments but maybe next year if it is a success. I wish all the best for those who do get involved.
  • Friendly/Supportive x 1
  • Agree x 1
  • Like x 1

#4 knitpick

knitpick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 10:11

A few comments / queries.

Firstly, I note the timing - May / June with a Bank Holiday and more to the point Half Term.  Also it's the run up to / start of GCSE, A level and Degree exams.  This timing will make it rather awkward for those with children to attend - especially where the children are taking public exams.  Further a lot of large companies give holiday preference around school holiday time to those with children.  Thus your applications may be predominately from the Retired and Self Employed.  Not sure how representative this would be of the hobby as a whole.

Secondly - you don't indicate how large a team should be.  Nor do you indicate if single applicants would be accepted and merged into a team.

Thirdly, you don't mention tools; will these be supplied or should contestants bring their own?  Other making competitions seem to supply tools required.  Depending on how materials are supplied etc., trestles, saw tables, band saws and pillar drills are difficult to transport.  For significant baseboard construction these can be useful timesavers.  Otherwise building on an unfamiliar baseboard structure could disadvantage a team. 

Finally, I note your domain ".tv" - how are things in Tuvalu? ;~)

• Agree x 1

#5 Chris M

Chris M

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 10:23

The teams are six people.

#6 PMP

PMP

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 10:54

Firstly, I note the timing - May / June with a Bank Holiday and more to the point Half Term.  Also it's the run up to / start of GCSE, A level and Degree exams.  This timing will make it rather awkward for those with children to attend - especially where the children are taking public exams.  Further a lot of large companies give holiday preference around school holiday time to those with children.  Thus your applications may be predominately from the Retired and Self Employed.  Not sure how representative this would be of the hobby as a whole.

Secondly - you don't indicate how large a team should be.  Nor do you indicate if single applicants would be accepted and merged into a team.

Thirdly, you don't mention tools; will these be supplied or should contestants bring their own?  Other making competitions seem to supply tools required.  Depending on how materials are supplied etc., trestles, saw tables, band saws and pillar drills are difficult to transport.  For significant baseboard construction these can be useful timesavers.  Otherwise building on an unfamiliar baseboard structure could disadvantage a team. 

http://www.rmweb.co....ther-challenge/
Pretty much all of your questions are answered in this thread. As far as getting participants the C4 great glen project both recruited and filmed during the same part of last year. They didn’t seem to have any issues with the diversity of ages and personalities chosen.

.TV domains are gaining popularity within media to identify channels and broadcasters/production companies, the same way that a .co domain doesn’t have to come from Columbia
  • Agree x 1

#7 Huw Griffiths

Huw Griffiths

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationCwmbran

Posted 02 April 2018 - 13:37

I can see what you're saying - however, I doubt if there would be too many times in the year when it would be possible to fit in with everyone. As you suggest, even the long school summer vacation might be a problem for some people. Ultimately, the production company just had to pick some time in the year - and run with it.

As for size of teams, that's also been spelt out - effectively reckon on 7 people who either know each other or can at least get on with each other - that's 6 for the main team, plus a reliable reserve. The production company have made it clear that they don't have a problem with virtual teams (formed via sites like this one) - and it's no secret that at least one such team has been "green lighted" - judging by various comments, both on this site and at "Ally Pally", I suspect there might be more.

http://www.rmweb.co....ther-challenge/
Pretty much all of your questions are answered in this thread. As far as getting participants the C4 great glen project both recruited and filmed during the same part of last year. They didn’t seem to have any issues with the diversity of ages and personalities chosen.

.TV domains are gaining popularity within media to identify channels and broadcasters/production companies, the same way that a .co domain doesn’t have to come from Columbia

Fair comment.

Anyway, some people might suggest that domain names aren't the only stuff being exported from Colombia. There are also cash crops - like coffee, for instance ... .

I think this is a great project. Unfortunately I can’t take part due to other commitments but maybe next year if it is a success. I wish all the best for those who do get involved.

I'm certain that a number of people are determined to ensure that this exercise is a resounding success this year.

Assuming that this exercise also runs next year, I suspect that a number of people might be very interested in hearing from you - and hopefully seeing you - next year.

Anyway, returning to this year's challenge, Phil's interview was interesting - even if, inevitably, some stuff is yet to be announced.

For example, as yet, there's no mention of who the experts / judges are likely to be - or who'll be fronting the programmes. It'll be interesting to find out in due course.

Also interesting will be the background music on the programmes. In view of this series being produced by the same company who do "GPs Behind Closed Doors", I trust we won't be treated to 5 second snatches of "The Devil's Galop" or everyone's favourite*, "Coronation Scot".

(* Well, I say "everyone's favourite" - I wonder how true this might be for D&E modellers ... .)

You could just about imagine efforts to inject tension into programmes: Just before an ad break, one team's build reaches a critical point - so we get a burst of some ominous sounding music, while a narrator excitedly invites viewers to wonder if the team's efforts will pay off in time, or be derailed by their dastardly rivals.** "Stay tuned after the break to find out ... ."

(**What the narrator doesn't tell you is that this break also corresponds to the end of a day's filming. All the teams are actually heading to the nearest boozer, which just happens to be a Wetherspoons. It's Thursday - so it's "Curry Club" night - with a hot meal washed down with some "nourishing beverages" and a friendly chat.)

Joking aside, a lot of people are looking forward to this series - people taking part - manufacturers seeing this as a chance to showcase their wares - plus a large number of viewers.

Anyway, I trust that everyone's going to give this series a chance - I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths, 03 April 2018 - 14:59 .

#8 rue_d_etropal

rue_d_etropal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,151 posts
  • LocationLancashire and sometimes France

Posted 02 April 2018 - 16:40

It has been titled a 'challenge' not a competition. 3 days is not long, and I am concerned that some groups might use a lot of extra help getting boards etc built beforehand. Would be difficult to stop, but should be specified to only be those in the team involved.

Pleased to see they hope to broadcast before Christmas, but then I think that was also the original intenson of BLT, but that slid back into the start of this year. It would make sense to have it broadcast before Cristmas, as that is what Bachmann, Hornby , Peco and Gaugemaster would want. I seem to remember the original James May railway challenge was on at Christmas, just a pity it was not as well done as it could have been.

• Like x 1

#9 PMP

PMP

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 17:36

It has been titled a 'challenge' not a competition. 3 days is not long, and I am concerned that some groups might use a lot of extra help getting boards etc built beforehand. Would be difficult to stop, but should be specified to only be those in the team involved.

It is a competition, it says so in the first post on this thread, and in the media the TV company has put out.

Which groups are getting a lot of extra help with ‘boards etc, built beforehand’? They’re using teams of six, it’s those six competitors who will have to build/work with the materials provided.

Why would it be difficult to stop? All the TV company or judges have to do is say ‘that’s not allowed, you can’t use it’ for whatever item/s is relevant. It seems again that there’s assumptions being made, with little consideration about the most likely and obvious answers.
  • Agree x 1

#10 rue_d_etropal

rue_d_etropal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,151 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 22:25

I know it is a competition, but the program is called ' The Great ModelRailway Challenge' not 'The Great Model Railway Competition', that is all I am saying. 

As for building items beforehand, as far as I know it has not been said whether materials to build board etc are supplied, just how big.

• Agree x 1

#11 PMP

PMP

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 23:48

I know it is a competition, but the program is called ' The Great ModelRailway Challenge' not 'The Great Model Railway Competition', that is all I am saying. 

As for building items beforehand, as far as I know it has not been said whether materials to build board etc are supplied, just how big.

I don’t follow what the point is regarding the title, ‘challenge’, a call to compete, using skills and ability surely? I doubt many are getting confused with the confrontation/dispute/objection meaning of challenge

The first post (from the TV company) of this thread answers the second point. ‘We will cover costs etc, ‘And crucially building materials’
Seems quite straightforward.

#12 Huw Griffiths

Huw Griffiths

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationCwmbran

Posted 03 April 2018 - 08:32

I don’t follow what the point is regarding the title, ‘challenge’, a call to compete, using skills and ability surely? I doubt many are getting confused with the confrontation/dispute/objection meaning of challenge
The first post (from the TV company) of this thread answers the second point. ‘We will cover costs etc, ‘And crucially building materials’
Seems quite straightforward.

On a further note, if the production company were to have too many concerns about teams getting external help, they'd just specify that certain stuff must be used - and only make it available as teams walk in the door.

Huw.
  • Funny x 1

#13 rue_d_etropal

rue_d_etropal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,151 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:58

There has actually been a lot of discussion about this behind the scenes. Initially I suspect it was thought everything could be done on the day, but the video interview confirms that quite a lot will need to be done in advance. A bit like a baking contest where everyone turns up with a cake already baked, an all they do then is decorate it. A great program about cake decorating but not much about actually baking a cake.

In my opinion I think it could all be done on the day. The French magazine, Loco Revue came up with the idea of 'A Train in a Box', the box containing everything to build a layout, including a very clever cardboard construction for the baseboard. There was an exhibition last year, where a team(?)/group of modellers built the layout over the 2-3 days of the exhibition. There are several companies, here in the UK producing laser cut wood kits for baseboards, which don't take that long to put together. Track laying and wiring does not take long, assuming it has been planned properly, and then the fun can start.

• Like x 2

#14 sammyboy

sammyboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts
  • LocationChesterfield

Posted 03 April 2018 - 10:28

This programme sounds interesting, I'll be watching it when it goes on air...

Sam

• Agree x 1

#15 ardbealach

ardbealach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationIn a village in England which had its railway station in Wales

Posted 03 April 2018 - 10:39

Cannot think it will be much more than set track, with out of the box stock and a bit of scatter for grass and bottle brush trees.  I hope I am proved wrong! 

• Friendly/Supportive x 1
  • Agree x 1

#16 rue_d_etropal

rue_d_etropal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,151 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 19:11

Cannot think it will be much more than set track, with out of the box stock and a bit of scatter for grass and bottle brush trees.  I hope I am proved wrong!

Expect to be proved wrong.

• Agree x 1
  • Like x 1