Boiler tickets

rodent279

• RMweb Gold

I know a steam loco boiler ticket lasts for 7 years, and can be extended if it's in good nick.

How long can a loco be laid aside for before the ticket expires?

Put another way, if say 6 months into its ticket, a loco gets laid up for some reason, does it's ticket automatically expire after some period out of use, or does it just remain valid for the full 7 yrs, regardless of how much use it gets?

I was always under the impression it was like a car's MoT test - if it's not used at all for the whole period immediately after the test and the next test being due, too bad. If you are able to use it all day, every day, all the better. Obviously day to day maintenance is still required, if necessary.

• RMweb Premium

The usual life of a boiler is 10 years, but every 12 months the boiler has to be water pressure tested and followed by a steam test to ensure that it's still tight.

Also there are periodic wear and waste tests about every three years, where a selection of tubes are removed and cut in half lengthwise to check for wastage and pitting.

The boiler life clock starts ticking after the installation of a full set of tubes have been fitted and tested. A boilers ticket may be cut short if subsequent defects are found during service. The most common defect that I have come across in smoke tube boilers is scouring of the firebox tube plate, between the tubes. Such defects are usually discovered during a visual inspection during a wear and waste test when it's possible to use a mirror through the tube hole.

Note that the 7 year ticket is for Network rail service, although Riley's locomotives tend to be in service longer, due to an intermediate overhaul half way through a 10 year ticket.

A boiler ticket starts from the Hydraulic insurance test and lasts as long as the boiler inspector is happy with the condition of the boiler and tubes, therefore a boiler can be stopped at any time if issues appear. There is no legislated requirement for the boiler to be removed to be overhauled at 10 years if the interior/exterior of the boiler can be inspected satisfactorily with it in place and sample tubes show a retube is not required, and a ticket can be extended beyond 10 years as long as the inspector feels confident in the boiler. The '7 year' rule that is often quoted is not a definitive time scale other than being suggested as a nominal time for mainline steam, however as has been mentioned the maintenance regime of the boiler will be the main factor in when a boiler requires detubing and overhauling.

I have not seen a requirement for a hydraulic (water) pressure test every year, the annual inspection is a cold internal and external exam followed by an in steam exam. I have also not come across a requirement to remove a selection of tubes every three years, although an inspector can request tubes to be removed at any time should he feel it necessary. Perhaps these are specific to a particular inspector/insurer as everyone seems to have a different way of doing things.

I've never heard of an annual hydraulic test either.  The only time that this might occur is if the inspector was unhappy about something and had given it a 'watching brief'. On most boilers I have been involved with the most common area for corrosion was around the firebox just above the foundation ring ie 'grooving' or on/around the crown stays.

Ray.

• 2 weeks later...

I worked for MOD Navy, nobody would be willing to carry the can, so everything was gold plated. Even the working pressure was below that of the original spec. Belt, braces and a length of rope to be sure that nothing was going to fail.

Understandable - failing in the middle of the ocean is rather more inconvenient than a failure on a railway network!!

• RMweb Premium

Are steam boilers still a thing on ships today?

Apart from preserved vessels of course.

As far as the navy is concerned only the on the subs. possibly small domestic boilers for hot water and heating. Gas turbines and, diesels and diesel electric for propulsion these days.

• RMweb Premium

Most larger commercial vessels still have boilers. The steam is used for a range of duties but primarily fuel tank heating and fuel conditioning and cargo heating. Oil tankers can be provided with larger boilers than many main propulsion plant boilers for regular cargo ships just for tank heating. In terms of actual steam ships, they're pretty much dead at the moment although there are still quite a few in service and they may make a sort of come back with combined cycle gas turbine packages.