Funiculars and Cog-wheel Railways of France

rogerfarnworth

I wonder whether there might be an appetite on this Forum to discover more about these railways in France. I have been looking at particular examples in the South if France in recent weeks.

A funciular railway existed in Cannes until the mid-1960s and I am beginning some research in that now.

There was a funicular railway in Grasse, the perfume capital of Provence which closed before the 2nd World War. You can find out more about this by following the link below to my blog ....

https://rogerfarnworth.wordpress.com/2017/11/30/funicular-railway-in-grasse-chemin-de-fer-de-provence-23

There is a move afoot to construct a replacement for this old funicular and the blog provides links to the detailed proposals and some explanatory videos about the new scheme which has not yet been built.

I understand that the costs of the new scheme are, at present, prohibitive.

Edited by rogerfarnworth
  • Like 1

It looks spectacular, Andy.

PS. .... Any idea how I correct my typo in the subject/title of the thread?

Best wishes

Roger

Go back to your original post and click on Edit at the bottom right of the post. Then click on Use Full Editor button at the bottom right. This will enable you to edit the topic title. Then save it.

• Like 1

This site may be helpful. It lists most, but I am not sure all, of the French funiculars. For example, there is one in Le Treport (not far from the Baie de Somme railway) but it is very modern, more like an outdoor lift on a slope.

Apart from Montmartre, I have been on the Evian one, many years ago, and, although short, it is an amazing journey visually, like a metro but on a steep slope!

http://www.funiculaires-france.fr/?lang=en

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There are a couple that form of the Lyon public transport system, from Vieux Lyon to St Just and Fourviere.

Both funiculars and worth doing for the view when you get to the top.

One of the metro lines is a rack railway which was there long before the rest of the metro.

Both funiculars and worth doing for the view when you get to the top.

One of the metro lines is a rack railway which was there long before the rest of the metro.

Is that the one that goes to Croix-Rousse?

Other funicular or rack lines that spring to mind are the one at Laon, rebuilt in the late 1980s, and that at Langres.

• RMweb Gold

Is that the one that goes to Croix-Rousse?

Other funicular or rack lines that spring to mind are the one at Laon, rebuilt in the late 1980s, and that at Langres.

Yes, up to Croix-Rousse where the PLM had a terminus station.

I remember the one at Laon before it was rebuilt but never managed to travel on it.