N gauge diorama called the cutting

Guest ShildonShunter

Guest ShildonShunter

My wife was going to throw this out so I thought no this will be perfect for a small n gauge diorama. Base measures 7.5 inches long and 5.5 inches wide and 1/4 inch in thickness. loco will be coming through a cutting. The cutting will be on either side of the track with undergrowth shrubs and grassed area and also a couple of rail enthusiasts taking pictures. Hope this sounds OK.

Picture of base:)

post-33479-0-86266300-1521906090_thumb.jpg

Edited by ShildonShunter
  • Like 1

Guest ShildonShunter

Thanks Luke I'm looking forward to starting my little project will post some more as and when progress happens.:)

Guest ShildonShunter

Thanks Jerry little bit more progress today on one of the embankment structures so paper can be packed in and covered with plaster cloth, will start on the other embankment tomorrow.:)

post-33479-0-61845800-1521995171_thumb.jpg

Edited by ShildonShunter
  • Like 4

Guest ShildonShunter

Some more progress on my diorama this evening building the tunnel area and finishing the hill supports. Still loads to do..

post-33479-0-05893400-1522130704_thumb.jpg

Edited by ShildonShunter
  • Like 2

Guest ShildonShunter

Very nice. It is of course eligible for the cake box challenge as well being under size.

Hi 009 micro modeller this is the first time I have modelled in n gauge and I will say some bits are tricky but I'm having loads of fun. Tunnel area and packing the hill supports tomorrow.:)

Guest ShildonShunter

Little bit progress this morning one of the embankments filled with paper and finished off with strips of paper soaked in water and PVA mix first time for this as I normally use plaster cloth but I'm really happy with the result, once dried will apply some polyfilla with brown paint mixed in. Hope you like.:)

post-33479-0-86113100-1522144248_thumb.jpgpost-33479-0-08500700-1522144265_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Guest ShildonShunter

I'm impressed at your speed! It's great to see the landscape developing!

Hi Matt thanks for the kind comments to tell the truth I'm just doing little bits from time to time as I think you can get carried away. But I'm enjoying having fun and getting sticky with glue and water.:) will start on the other embankment tomorrow as the supports need to dry and harden properly.

Guest ShildonShunter

Managed to complete the embankments using water PVA mixture and its worked really well just needs to dry properly now for a couple of days.:)

post-33479-0-84866200-1522157065_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Guest ShildonShunter

Managed to finish the PVA and pollyfilla coating over the top of the paper mache this afternoon happy with the result time to dry out now.

post-33479-0-30542000-1522256246_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Guest ShildonShunter

Thanks Luke I'm getting hooked on this type of modelling finding it most enjoyable ordering the grass scatter and ballast from trackshack tomorrow and hope it arrives Saturday..

Guest ShildonShunter

Some progress this morning put the colour on for the rock faces and the areas to be grassed. This afternoon will apply a black wash to the Rock face and when dried will dry brush some cream or white for the 3D effect on the rocks. Here is a picture so far.:)

post-33479-0-04948400-1522406848_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Guest ShildonShunter

Looking good, will look great once finished on a shelf, mantle piece etc.

Jerry.

Thanks Jerry for your comments I'm waiting for grass scatter and ballast to arrive but until then I can concentrate on the rocks and tunnel area.;)

Guest ShildonShunter

Finished the rock face and tunnel area this afternoon its great how dry brushing with a cream brings the rocks out. Really happy with the way its turned out more tomorrow if things arrive.

post-33479-0-47730200-1522420707_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Guest ShildonShunter

Looks good so far, and if I may ask, were you by any chance partly inspired by own recent cakebox offering, "Cutting the cake?"

Hi Andrew your layout was fantastic and yes I will admit I have took some inspiration from your layout hope you don't mind. This is all new to me as I have only been modelling like this for six months but I'm hooked on dioramas and micro layouts. Thanks for your comments Andrew.:)

@ ShildonShunter

Thanks for your comment/feedback re "Cutting the cake", and it was nice to know that I've helped inspire a fellow modeller! And yes, I must admit from first-hand experience that small-scale layouts and dioramas can be quite addictive (but good fun at the same time), for including my current model (Down the old shed, my fourth cakebox offering), I seem to have lost count of how many small-scale models I've made in total! 

Still, its all good stuff, and a nice alternative to shopping, DIY etc., so long may it continue, and I look forward to seeing "the cutting" in it's final finished form. :)

Guest ShildonShunter

Hi outcastjack this is my first attempt at replicating rocks and really pleased with the results I watched some vids on YouTube which helped.:)

Guest ShildonShunter

@ ShildonShunter

Thanks for your comment/feedback re "Cutting the cake", and it was nice to know that I've helped inspire a fellow modeller! And yes, I must admit from first-hand experience that small-scale layouts and dioramas can be quite addictive (but good fun at the same time), for including my current model (Down the old shed, my fourth cakebox offering), I seem to have lost count of how many small-scale models I've made in total! 

Still, its all good stuff, and a nice alternative to shopping, DIY etc., so long may it continue, and I look forward to seeing "the cutting" in it's final finished form. :)

Thanks Andrew for your comments it certainly is addictive but loads of fun at the same time, I'm hoping to get some ballast and scatter on today.:)