GWR Sleeper Pack

Phil Mc

• RMweb Premium

Looks great. Do they have the new NEM bogies fitted?

The bogies are the same as usual.

The 'glass' is actually Black plastic in them which, to me, looks fine in isolation, but I haven't run them yet.

If they look odd when I run them with other coaches I'll just swap them for Laserglaze !!

Cheers,

Phil.

• RMweb Premium

I did ask about the finish when the pack was announced. But are the coaches in a gloss finish like the hst mk3s?

Many thanks

Gary

I've tried them with the HST stock, they look the same colour/finish to me !

Cheers,

Phil.

I preordered these and their system refunded me (I understand that they do this and then take the money again) will they now take the money or do I need to get in touch with them about it? also do they send out dispatch emails. (This is the first time i've ordered from them) Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Sian :-)

I preordered these and their system refunded me (I understand that they do this and then take the money again) will they now take the money or do I need to get in touch with them about it? also do they send out dispatch emails. (This is the first time i've ordered from them) Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Sian :-)

In my experience, Kernow takes the money and sends an e-mail. The only problem is when a credit card has gone out of date. Then the order is left until all the problem-free ones have been completed and then the problem orders are followed up. If Kernow is very busy, it is better not to phone and delay the packers but they are friendly and if you are at all worried, phone and set your mind at rest.

In my experience, Kernow takes the money and sends an e-mail. The only problem is when a credit card has gone out of date. Then the order is left until all the problem-free ones have been completed and then the problem orders are followed up. If Kernow is very busy, it is better not to phone and delay the packers but they are friendly and if you are at all worried, phone and set your mind at rest.

That's great. Thank you for getting back to me. :-) I'll hang fire on contacting them. I just wasn't sure what their process was. 

That's great. Thank you for getting back to me. :-) I'll hang fire on contacting them. I just wasn't sure what their process was. 

My card had gone out of date and i received the email on Monday. Phoned the new details Tuesday and they have arrived today. I also ordered the day coaches when i was on the phone.

My card had gone out of date and i received the email on Monday. Phoned the new details Tuesday and they have arrived today. I also ordered the day coaches when i was on the phone.

I arrived home to a nice surprise today. They have been delivered and look great. I plan to order the day ones too. :-)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi

I was to late to get my hands on some, but yes, more on order, I see the price rise from the £69.99 Originally was it or something close, the remainder sold out in seconds and missed out. :nono:  

The Next batch announced is R4868A Hornby Mk3 Great Western Railway Sleeper 3-Pack 10532, 10534  & 10594  GWR Livery £104.99 price tag...!

Lets hope I catch this next batch hey...

Regards

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Hi

I was to late to get my hands on some, but yes, more on order, I see the price rise from the £69.99 Originally was it or something close, the remainder sold out in seconds and missed out. :nono:  

The Next batch announced is R4868A Hornby Mk3 Great Western Railway Sleeper 3-Pack 10532, 10534  & 10594  GWR Livery £104.99 price tag...!

Lets hope I catch this next batch hey...

Regards

Jamie

The first batch were £89.99 + £4.00 shipping, which I thought was very reasonable for a limited addition, where there are different livery printing details on each of the 3 vehicles.

Even with a price rise to £104.99 (plus shipping) I still think that is a pretty decent deal !

I haven't checked, but that can't be much different to RRP for a Hornby Sleeper in the standard catalogue range.

Cheers,

Phil.

The first batch were £89.99 + £4.00 shipping, which I thought was very reasonable for a limited addition, where there are different livery printing details on each of the 3 vehicles.

Even with a price rise to £104.99 (plus shipping) I still think that is a pretty decent deal !

I haven't checked, but that can't be much different to RRP for a Hornby Sleeper in the standard catalogue range.

Cheers,

Phil.

Hi Phil

Thanks for the correction in price, I just remember watching the number of stock dropping fast on the day they came out. Yes, I agree the price is excellent for a limited edition as is the £104.99 for the second batch, I will make sure I order the next batch before its to late, as soon as I see the expected date show up.

Regards

Jamie

I was really tempted by these and the previous batch but but can’t help but think that they won’t match Bachmann’s class 57 that hauls these... can anyone advise how they look against 57603? Or provide any pictures?

• RMweb Gold

I was really tempted by these and the previous batch but but can’t help but think that they won’t match Bachmann’s class 57 that hauls these... can anyone advise how they look against 57603? Or provide any pictures?

If there is no reply by the end of the week when I am back home I will take a couple of photos.

Roy

That's a very interesting question, as they are two different manufactures involved in the same livery, I never even gave that thought till you said, hence a great question, which I do have the class 57 GWR but don't have any coaches as yet, I'm waiting for Hornby to release the next batch that I can buy at a normal price, which I believe is very soon, along with another HST in GWR. 

Regards

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

That's a very interesting question, as they are two different manufactures involved in the same livery, I never even gave that thought till you said, hence a great question, which I do have the class 57 GWR but don't have any coaches as yet, I'm waiting for Hornby to release the next batch that I can buy at a normal price, which I believe is very soon, along with another HST in GWR. 

Regards

Jamie

How prototypical do you want to be? The Class 57s only work with the sleepers, except for the one return service from Penzance to Exeter(?) in the summer. Hornby's GWR liveried day coaches are HST vehicles.

How prototypical do you want to be? The Class 57s only work with the sleepers, except for the one return service from Penzance to Exeter(?) in the summer. Hornby's GWR liveried day coaches are HST vehicles.

Hi Yes I agree with you,

I was responding the original question above Shoey (post #18) who raised the question, and I never gave it a thought, (about it being two different manufactures) but I wouldn't think it would be so far out that it would be noticeable in any way.

Have you ever noticed on the Network Rail HST and the coaches do have different colour yellows to some of the other in the same rake, which is similar in question above, when it was last up Holyhead way, I took photos of it and that's when I noticed two of the 5 coaches were much darker yellow, so personally in my own rake, now I don't mind having a different shade of yellow where I have bought them off eBay in times gone by, as it matches what it is the real world, well may not be exact but I'm sure you catch my drift, its as good as!

Regards

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

I got back late last night and had a quick look. The 57 matches the matt stripe on the Kernow sleepers, the main body colour looking quite different. I will take the promised photos later when it is a better light and I can do it under natural lighting.

Given Hornby have looked to show the difference between the gloss sides and matt stripe, I am not sure how they could have done it any differently.

Two other points: in photos of the prototype, the loco does look a slightly different shade of green to the coaches in some photos, which may result from the paint weathering. Secondly, the Hornby coaches look closer to the prototype than the Bachmann 57 in my (very subjective) opinion.

Roy

Edit:

Here are the pictures - they are taken on some track on a board in the conservatory. It is a really bleak day here today and the lighting was not ideal so they haven't come out brilliantly. I didn't want to use any artificial lighting so as not to distort the colours. What I will say, is under daylight they looked pretty good sat together.

One more comment - these are (other than DCC chipping the loco) still as they came out of the boxes.

post-8912-0-43320200-1527240866_thumb.jpg

post-8912-0-54339500-1527240879_thumb.jpg

post-8912-0-53804900-1527240888_thumb.jpg

post-8912-0-38501300-1527240904_thumb.jpg

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 4