Hi all, just thought I'd make a new thread about my latest micro layout with this one being quite different. This will show the progress of my layout in a more unusual scale - 09. 09 gauge is 15 inch narrow gauge in o scale so you use 009 track in o scale basically. I'm new to the scale and have been working on a loco kit as well as the track work for the layout. I loom forward to updating you with the progress that I make. I have made a YouTube video of the layout so far so I will link that in later for you. The baseboard size of the layout is 19cm by 19cm whish proves you can get o gauge in a small amount of space. Thanks for looking. :)

• Like 1

Guest ShildonShunter

Luke this sounds like an adventure can't wait to see the process you make. I was looking to do a cakebox challenge in o gauge maybe next time.;)

Guest ShildonShunter

Looks interesting Luke the kit built loco looks fab.:)

Edited by ShildonShunter

Guest ShildonShunter

Luke a very nice loco kit are you using silver solder Luke as I use silver solder on my stationary over type steam engines.:)

Luke a very nice loco kit are you using silver solder Luke as I use silver solder on my stationary over type steam engines.:)

I couldn't tell you what solder type I use I just use this stuff off amazon. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000LFVHK6/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1522001663&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=solder&dpPl=1&dpID=31hgbMiFqdL&ref=plSrch

The important bits like the chassis are soldered together but the smaller more awkward bits like the hinges are super glued on.

Got some work done on the layout today. I have weathered the track and sleepers with some enamel washes. I used a mixture of various shades of browns and greys from the humbrol enamel range thinned down with pound lands white spirit and applied with a brush. A rub with the track rubber once the wash had dried wasn't enough so out came the white spirit on a cotton bud. A couple minutes and a filthy cotton bud later the track was clean and trains were trundling happily round the layout. Here is a picture of the finished result:post-32204-0-60108100-1522086797_thumb.jpg Now to see if I have any spare ballast!

• Like 1

I've got some more work done on the layout to show you now. I have ballasted the track. Turns our I had a fraction of a bag of woodland scenics medium buff ballast left over from my current layout , Ravendale. I didn't have much so I was a but stingy in the depth of the ballast but its deep enough and not all narrow gauge railways were built to the luxury of a high budget with lots of ballast and well laid track. I think that I'm going to go with a private farm or something similar railway to keep it nice and rural. Ballast was applied using the standard watered down pva method so nothing special there. Anyway, here's a picture of that:post-32204-0-16085100-1522170701_thumb.jpg

Guest ShildonShunter

Luke the more I look at your track and ballasting the more I like it and especially in the 09 gauge. Can't wait to see more Luke:)

So I came back to the layout today and it looks like some of the track has moved whilst the glue was drying. This was probably my fault as I did remove the track pins a bit prematurely. It's a bit of a pain but I've got just enough ballast to cover up my mistakes. I dont mind the odd 'bald spot' of baseboard as i can easily cover it up with a bush or something but this was a bit too big to ignore. Here's a picture of the ballast before I touched it up a bit.post-32204-0-92097100-1522256824_thumb.jpg

Guest ShildonShunter

The loco kit is a 'minimum gauge models' loco kit and it runs on a cut down Kato 11-103 chassis. Id highly recommend both of them particularly the loco kit for its price! (£10)

Luke thanks for the information a very interesting site and food for thought for my next project.:)

Luke thanks for the information a very interesting site and food for thought for my next project.:)

So far its probably one of the best scales I've worked in. O gauge levels of detail and weathering is brilliant but unfortunately lots of people don't have any room. 09 is a solution with incredibly compact track plans and very well priced rolling stock. The challenge of having to build all your own stock is also quite appealing to me.

Had an evening free before I go away down south for Easter so I decided to try and scratch build some rolling stock. The plan was a small wagon that is made out of timber and looks in the need for a bit of tlc. Construction is out of think match sticks glued together with rocket card glue. There are small holes pressed into the wood where the axles sit so the chassis is free rolling. The wheels are plastic ones left over from my 009 days and are from a peco n gauge kit I got the chassis from. It works perfectly well as a chassis but then it hit me. It is as light as air and I would struggle to pack any weight into it because I want to give it this look. So to save the disappointment of bad running I have decided that I will heavily weather it and it will become an abandoned wagon chassis left to rot in the under growth. Here's a picture of it:post-32204-0-70138000-1522439238_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Guest ShildonShunter

Hi Luke can't be of help mate I use woodland scenics grass scatter but have not had the chance to use their static grasses.

The loco kit is a 'minimum gauge models' loco kit and it runs on a cut down Kato 11-103 chassis. Id highly recommend both of them particularly the loco kit for its price! (£10)

Thanks for that Luke.  I too use a Kato 103 to power the traverser on my Crossways Wagon Works, I'm very impressed by its smoothness and controllability with an ordinary Gaugemaster controller.

Cheers and good luck with your layout.

Thanks shildon. But of a general question here but what are peoples experiences and opinions on the woodland scenics static grasses. I'm looking at getting the medium green one and wondered if anyone had any experience with them.

I can't speak from experience, but from what I've read, you'll get a more natural effect if you mix in some other shades and lengths, even in small quantities.  You could try a more yellow / straw colour for an area to suggest an area in full sun that's parched.  I think that if you go with one shade and length, it will look too uniform - though this may be the result you want.