Bachmann Class 117

TomE

• RMweb Premium

Quite a bit of thread drift, I have a 107 which has been under construction for years. Here it is on my new layout where I have been running it.

post-16423-0-03329200-1525119356_thumb.jpg

It is a compromise, I have used the Hornby 110 as a basis. The body profile is almost right, the windows are at the right height but not quite in the right places, to adjust them is possible but for the effort involved the small difference is not that noticeable. 

post-16423-0-25597100-1525119365_thumb.jpg

Once painted green it will look OK, I hope.

I started to convert this well before the Bachmann orange one so it isn't me trying to get one over on Bachmann, but I do feel the 110 as a starting place is better than a 108. I really like the 108, I have three 2 car units, three 3 car and a four car plus an even earlier conversion of a 110 to a 108, horribly wrong but I still run it. 

• Like 3

For the record, I didn't say I was waiting for somone to produce a 107........I'm quite happy to produce my own thanks!

As per Clive, I'm going to be using the Hornby 110 as the donor unit - plenty of cutting around, filing, gluing and filling to do. I'm concerned that this thread is starting to drift off somewhat from the 117, so that's my last post about 107's/108's on here...........

cheers

Andy

• Like 2

I think the point is that given how successful the Strathclyde 107.5 was, Bachmann would probably stand a much better chance of passing off a 117 as a 118 given the main difference seems to be a fraction of a millimetre's curvature on the headcode box. I know that there are collectors of BT memorabilia out there who would probably love to get their mitts on a Busby Bogcart although I do wonder if the price might be an issue.

Didn't Busby's Yellow Peril dmu run as a two car unit occasionally? I'm sure I've seen photos of it as a two car set.

• Like 1

Mark, you are correct. I found it as a three car set on a visit in November 1985, as a power twin in January 1987 and then as a three car set again in November 1987. These were snapshots during occasional visits to the West Country. Perhaps someone more local to the area can confirm Laira policy on turning triples into power twins...?

Mark, you are correct. I found it as a three car set on a visit in November 1985, as a power twin in January 1987 and then as a three car set again in November 1987. These were snapshots during occasional visits to the West Country. Perhaps someone more local to the area can confirm Laira policy on turning triples into power twins...?

Was it due to seasonal demand ?

Have a feeling a few trailers were stored during the low season with sets left as twin power cars.

• RMweb Premium

Not sure that Laira had a policy as such but centre trailers were not used up to Gunnislake nor (usually) to Looe due to the need for power being greater than a need for extra seats up the hills. Looe platform also doesn’t hold a full three cars though I have seen triples on the branch on occasions.

The trailers were the first out of service at class run-down and were said to be in pretty average condition. A unit could run with two power cars but not with just one and a trailer so guess where any cost savings were found.

The GWR150 unit which ended its days on the St. Ives branch also lost its trailer W59520 long before the motor coaches were withdrawn. The poor thing sat rotting in full view of railway and road for many months at Long Rock.

I suspect that some sets were reduced in response to seasonal traffic requirements. 

Having a 1984/85 all line timetable to hand, at that time all branch lines using Laira DMUs were Second Class only, so the removal of the trailer with First Class made no difference. On one visit in Autumn 1985, my HST from Bristol to Penzance was running late and so was turned back at Plymouth. The onward journey was accomplished in a Class 118 triple, although on that set the First had been declassified in any case.

• RMweb Premium

Was it due to seasonal demand ?

Have a feeling a few trailers were stored during the low season with sets left as twin power cars.

usually just P480, one branch, probably Gunislake

Not sure that Laira had a policy as such but centre trailers were not used up to Gunnislake nor (usually) to Looe due to the need for power being greater than a need for extra seats up the hills. Looe platform also doesn’t hold a full three cars though I have seen triples on the branch on occasions.

The trailers were the first out of service at class run-down and were said to be in pretty average condition. A unit could run with two power cars but not with just one and a trailer so guess where any cost savings were found.

The GWR150 unit which ended its days on the St. Ives branch also lost its trailer W59520 long before the motor coaches were withdrawn. The poor thing sat rotting in full view of railway and road for many months at Long Rock.

Last went to Looe on a 3 car ex B430 then 117305

• RMweb Premium

P480 was effectively the permanent Gunnislake unit being a 2-car at all times. When unavailable other 2-car formations would substitute with a trailer left at Laira.

My last 3-car to Looe was a 120 in or about 1972. Passengers in the rear coach had to walk through to exit onto the platform as only the guard’s van of that coach was “on”.

The use of power twins at Laira began in 1960, with the delivery of the 118s.  Initially there were nine three car sets and four power twins.  The spare trailers went to Reading where they were formed with 117 power cars [three] and a pair of 116s [one].  In the early days at Laira the power twins were used interchangeably with pairs of 122s.  A photograph which typically I cannot locate at present shows a '4 car Stop' board at, I think, Saltash, suggesting that something other than triplets was contemplated.

Chris 

• Like 2

The use of power twins at Laira began in 1960, with the delivery of the 118s.  Initially there were nine three car sets and four power twins.  The spare trailers went to Reading where they were formed with 117 power cars [three] and a pair of 116s [one].  In the early days at Laira the power twins were used interchangeably with pairs of 122s.  A photograph which typically I cannot locate at present shows a '4 car Stop' board at, I think, Saltash, suggesting that something other than triplets was contemplated.

Chris 

This one perhaps of a class 118 from about 1960? 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/6268415363/in/photolist-fQ6yan-WZ9dHW-axVguX-6NnEmM-6NnEjV-Wyox2m-YQnZ4H-FTxoEY-KzAuiQ-KvvFsH-242t8k4-6TznGD-dD2EHE-VBQZ3x-nrAGGf-Ja6yZE-4P637g-cuJD13-6e2Tbt-6e74vu-cXh4Xq-qTMgEb-qBirLo-HepJUt-qzPq7H-FTxpVo-t1y1gX-sHXveL-7qMXGV-EcCR2h-6e2SA6-RHJNgR-Vo7JGC-pX5sE4-E9oNmv-E9niEe-EGRkMt-Gvw8wn-E9o2ai-E9o2ug-EfLMoQ-EyEPj8-E9oXU8-DKajLE-zsZGZr-E9o9cp-Ewq2su-yAVGiv-CX8qet-CX8qnK

cheers

• RMweb Premium

Chris 

Hi Chris

Page 38, Modern Railways, July 1962, has a photo of two 2 car class 118s at St Budeaux (Ferry Rd) on  Slatash working.

• Like 1