Wordsworth Kits and ‘Train Set in a Tin’ - Fun Project

Every year we have a Christmas fair in the village and I thought it would be fun to have a side project (and escape from my N scale projects). I want to produce a small diorama aimed at youngsters to showcase card modelling using paper kits. Many of you will have come across the £9.99 Toy Train in a Tin? I have two of these... and plan to remodel the train as well (maybe even have a go at making track)!

For the buildings I have been looking at Mike Martin’s free downloadable kits, which he originally created as ‘fillers’ for his own large layout and feature in a number of YouTube videos. I spoke to Mike about me kit bashing his designs and he is happy for them to be adapted.

This first image is from Mike's layout:

post-33019-0-44071600-1522061652_thumb.jpeg

To fit the space, I have allowed for the layout, the buildings need to be ‘narrowed’ down a lot, but still retain the correct scale height wise for 00. My first attempt was adapted from the basic goods shed kit. I would normally model windows in acetate with separate framing, but for this project I am looking at creating a similar feel to the old Hornby tinplate buildings.

post-33019-0-00956000-1522017952_thumb.jpeg

Then I created the 'Highland rural style' station from elements of the Daisy Station kit.

post-33019-0-63486000-1522018110_thumb.jpeg

For more details of Wordsworth Original Kits and links to his videos: http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk

Edited by Marly51
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Yes I used to use Wordsworth building kits too as a basis for my own models re-scaling them to 'O' and sometimes doing some additional graphic editing on them as well.

Nice goods shed and station Marly, - you've done a very tidy job of putting those together.

• Like 2

Every year we have a Christmas fair in the village and I thought it would be fun to have a side project (and escape from my N scale projects). I want to produce a small diorama aimed at youngsters to showcase card modelling using paper kits. Many of you will have come across the £9.99 Toy Train in a Tin? I have two of these... and plan to remodel the train as well (maybe even have a go at making track)!

For the buildings I have been looking at Mike Martin’s free downloadable kits, which he originally created as ‘fillers’ for his own large layout and feature in a number of YouTube videos. I spoke to Mike about me kit bashing his designs and he is happy for them to be adapted.

This first image is from Mike's layout:

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

To fit the space, I have allowed for the layout, the buildings need to be ‘narrowed’ down a lot, but still retain the correct scale height wise for 00. My first attempt was adapted from the basic goods shed kit. I would normally model windows in acetate with separate framing, but for this project I am looking at creating a similar feel to the old Hornby tinplate buildings.

attachicon.gifD1960D1F-9679-41AC-8697-806A8BBACFF7.jpeg

Then I created the 'Highland rural style' station from elements of the Daisy Station kit.

attachicon.gifC0DB6503-8695-4309-A3A9-825DC276E4FF.jpeg

For more details of Wordsworth Original Kits and links to his videos: http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk

A real professional job on those.

I've used some Wordsworth brick on Castle Aching and been very happy with the result.

post-25673-0-49723700-1522762391_thumb.jpg

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

A real professional job on those.

I've used some Wordsworth brick on Castle Aching and been very happy with the result.

I’ve admired these buildings in your earlier post and it’s good to hear from other members who’ve used paper textures. Looking forward to experimenting more with paper as well as 3D textures. I think it is about getting the balance right between the level of detail required for each project.

Marlyn

• Like 4