MRJ 262

jamie92208

• RMweb Premium

Just to let eager readers know. I was at the printers this morning and could see some pallets  labelled  MRJ 262. They should be winging their way to the distributors very shortly.

Jamie

• Like 1

Just to let eager readers know. I was at the printers this morning and could see some pallets  labelled  MRJ 262. They should be winging their way to the distributors very shortly.

Jamie

Ah, there'll be the ones for the Easter show at York, then  :nono: 

• RMweb Premium

Ah, there'll be the ones for the Easter show at York, then  :nono:

Yes the rush to get certain books etc published in time for York was mentioned.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

• RMweb Gold

No sign of MRJ as of yet but this months Rubber and Plastics Gazette has a smashing feature on PVC shorts.

Rob.

Sorry, it is not acceptable to publish MRJ on or close to the stated publishing date. The frothers will choke whilst foaming at the mouth. Think of the poor staff at WHS Ealing.

It'll just confuse non-subs readers. They'll start looking at their usual post-stated-publication-date offset and find that the issue has sold out already!

What do you mean, "there's aways copies left when the next one comes out?"

• RMweb Gold

So it's the usual s*d the subscribers, let them wait in the queue attitude, then.

I’m pretty sure that Cygnet can defend themselves and I’m also pretty sure that this has been explained before, although I can’t immediately find the relevant post. So...

If you’re a “big” publication, then your printer tends to handle your distribution as well. So they print the mag, bag up and post the subscription copies and send the rest out to the newsagent through the usual channels, hence subs copies tend to arrive before the shop copies. However, if you’re a “small” publication (and in the overall scheme of publishing things, MRJ is pretty small) the magazine is printed, newsagent copies are distributed and the subs copies are sent back to the publisher, who then bags up and posts; hence the subs copies tend to arrive after the shop copies.

I subscribe to MRJ to make sure I always get a copy, not because I want to get it more quickly. And to paraphrase something I’ve posted before, a world in which I receive my copy of MRJ after it is on sale in WHS Ealing is still infinitely preferable to one where there is no MRJ at all.

• Like 9

I’m pretty sure that Cygnet can defend themselves and I’m also pretty sure that this has been explained before, although I can’t immediately find the relevant post. So...

If you’re a “big” publication, then your printer tends to handle your distribution as well. So they print the mag, bag up and post the subscription copies and send the rest out to the newsagent through the usual channels, hence subs copies tend to arrive before the shop copies. However, if you’re a “small” publication (and in the overall scheme of publishing things, MRJ is pretty small) the magazine is printed, newsagent copies are distributed and the subs copies are sent back to the publisher, who then bags up and posts; hence the subs copies tend to arrive after the shop copies.

I subscribe to MRJ to make sure I always get a copy, not because I want to get it more quickly. And to paraphrase something I’ve posted before, a world in which I receive my copy of MRJ after it is on sale in WHS Ealing is still infinitely preferable to one where there is no MRJ at all.

I might point out that Narrow Gauge and Industrial Review is also a small publication, yet it's subs copies are bagged, addressed and sent out direct from the printers in clear poly sealed bags.

I think it is probably the choice of Cygnet to this themselves, rather than the printer doing this for them.

Some associations I belong to get the printers to distribute and post the copies because it’s cheaper than doing it themselves so the MRJ method might not be the cheapest. Though probably avoids the need to embrace modern technology.

Not being a subscriber, doesn’t matter to me which comes first. However, I agree with the comment that I’d prefer to have MRJ whichever way or time it comes rather than no MRJ and being a small fish in a big publishing pond, whatever works for them is good for me.

Andrew

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It is swings and roundabouts financially as the printer can get a discount on postage rates which may or may not cover the extra costs of the printer wrapping, labelling and posting the copies. the HMRS has its mag and newsletter posted out by the printer (Amadeus as it happens, the same as MRJ) but the WRRC currently gets them delivered in bulk and the newsletter editor arranges it. It probably depends with MRJ how many subs copies there are.

Jonathan

I certainly agree that the important thing is getting the mag, whether on time or late.

I've bought the lot since No. 0, plus the two Compendiums (Compendia?) and have relished just about every issue; and I subscribe, rather than asking my mate Nigel Bird to keep a copy for me, precisely because I want to support them and I know that having the money up front can be very important for a small business.

But these things do cut both ways, don't they?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've bought the lot since No. 0, plus the two Compendiums

There have actually been three compendiums and it's high time a forth one appeared I reckon!

Regards

Dan

Edited by Dan Randall