Railway & Modelling Obituaries

John Lloyd Flann

nickwood

Only just found this obituary and would like to pass on the condolences of my wife and I to John's family ... I never knowingly met John but as a young railway modeller his layouts were inspirational and we actually shared a common bond after my marriage as shortly after that my wife transferred on promotion within the Civil Service and John became her Boss :)  Since those days (35 years ago) its been my job to keep my wife updated on news about John's moves and output ... this sad news has now been relayed to her :(

Edited by Nicktuk159

• 3 weeks later...

A great loss.  I occasionally corresponded with John in the past - he wrote some interesting articles for Backtrack - but like many, I knew him largely from what he posted here.

My condolences to his family and friends.

His modelling was accomplished and his style, particularly his buildings to my eye, had a distinct quality and were to a high standard.  His layout planning seemed nothing short of masterful to me.  I hope that there is some way his modelling legacy can be preserved intact.  The models deserve to be saved, and it would be a fitting tribute. 

• 1 month later...

Yes, I agree with Edwardian on his buildings, he never followed the ready to plonk or built from a kit. I like many others on RM who followed his works took a lesson from this that it doesn't have to be perfect, to be perfect. Keep it simple was the way he built his railway's and it always paid off.

He will be missed, but he will be remembered.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have made mention before of my occasional travels through John's themed area of west Dorset and specifically the region around West Bay, Swyre, Long Bredy and Litton Cheney upon which some of his scenes were no doubt based albeit loosely.

On Saturday I walked the coastal path between West Bexington and Weymouth.  To reach the start point required a bus to the village of Swyre which took a road overlooking the Bride or Bredy Valley through which the Hintock trains would have run.

I took a moment to quietly reflect upon John's life, works, friendship and inspiration.  For just a moment I am sure there was a distant hoot of acknowledgement from his little train somewhere in the distance.

The image below shows something of the scenery and is, I believe, East Bexington Farm which overlooks the sea and is backed by the Dorset hills in the area John was so fond of.  In tribute to a friend who I never met, though enjoyed correspondence with and derived great inspiration from, and in whose memory I promised to return and pay quiet respects when in this area.  Job done, Sir.  Rest in Peace.

post-3305-0-54293500-1531913563_thumb.jpg

• Like 6