Straightening code 30 rail

DavidLong

• RMweb Premium

I've been fiddling about with The 2mm Scale Association's Code 30 strip rail. The main difficulty with using it is the unusual curve that it shows. Here is a photo of a short length as it comes from the coil:

post-9616-0-78156600-1522319027_thumb.jpg

The important point is that this is the profile view i.e. looking at the rail from the side and shows the horrendous curve which needs to be removed before laying the rail, If this curve was along the length this could be dealt with fairly easily but straightening along the 'thin' side is a bit of a battle as my rathered battered forefinger and thumb can attest!

I have a suspicion that this subject may have been discussed previously on the forum so I would appreciate a pointer towards the discussion if anyone can recall it. Any other suggestions in resolving this conundrum would be appreciated.

Just to prove that it is possible to use it I have built a 120' length using the 30' settings on Templot and below are a couple of quick snaps of the result. 2FS flanges have no problem with the height of the rail providing that the solder isn't too high on the inner gauge face.

post-9616-0-74019400-1522320023_thumb.jpg

post-9616-0-61589300-1522320046_thumb.jpg

I have already asked this question in the 2mm area of the forum but I thought that widening the audience may help with a solution.

David

I guess you can straighten it using some form of rollers.

At work we used coiled wire which is straightened by going through one or two sets of feed rollers before it gets to the machine.

Rollers could be made using bearings or bushes with one fixed and one adjustable to clamp against the rail as you pull it through.