Smoke in Magazine photographs

DCB

Lots of magazines have photos showing smoke/ steam issuing from 00 gauge locos as part of their layout features.

How much of this is Airbrush and how much DCC?   Can anyone enlighten me please.

In the 4mm scale world it will be 100% photoshop (whether it's CGI smoke or cloned from full-size steam), the only 'real' smoke shots you are ever likely to see will be in the Garden Rail world where live steam can be photographed in natural light with reasonably short shutter speeds. Indoors much longer exposures are needed and any 'smoke' will have dissipated.

It'll only be 10 minutes before someone pops up to say they hate it; but you didn't ask whether people liked it. ;)

• Like 2

I was going to say that this sort of photoshopping only seems to be applied to steam locos. I can't recall seeing any where exhaust has been added to photos of model diesels; but I won't mention it as it'll be putting bad ideas in Photo Editors' heads... :rolleyes: :jester:

We need to go back to the days when the Editor would take a mighty puff of his pipe and breathe over the loco just before the intrepid Photographer took his snap!

Much more realistic......

• RMweb Gold

I'm sorry it took a bit longer than 20 minutes but here goes - I HATE IT!  Hornby Magazine should know by now that it doesn't fool anybody.

Chris

Arguably it is no more false than the weathering so many people now apply.....

• RMweb Gold

Another "Marmite" scenario.

If image manipulation must be resorted to it should render results which are convincing to the viewer; a high percentage of photos just shout "Photoshop" or whichever program has been used.

Injector "blow offs", leaks from locos in dire need of repair and coach heating connections are seldom represented and would add to the overall realism.

Do we stop there? Perhaps smoke from house chimneys, bonfires, vehicle exhausts.

The creativity and skill shown by the modeller is first and foremost what the magazine should portray, the ability within the digital darkroom of lesser importance.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, seems to me if one of these electronic cigarettes can fill an entire car with fumes then maybe DCC was creating some of these effects.

I will get back to experimenting with a Triang smoke unit in my class 37.

• RMweb Gold

I suspect Photoshop and similar tools are mainly used to paint out unrealistic backgrounds in photos of models. I think this is a good thing because a background that's not part of the modelled scene can be really jarring and removing it massively improves affected photos.

However, I think that using Photoshop any further than that is, as some people above have suggested, a dangerous slippery slope that eventually leads to complete computer simulation. Nothing wrong with simulation in itself but it's a different beast with different rewards than physical railway modelling.

Anyhoo, what I really wanted to say was this:

@David: You are hinting at an interesting idea: Use the electronic vapour generators found in "e-cigarettes" as "smoke" generators in model locos. Take power from the track and connect the airflow switch input (I assume there must be one in these devices) to one of the DCC function outputs to generate "smoke" chuffs appropriate to the speed and work rate of the loco. 

This may or may not be feasible but it might be worth investigating! Maybe one day it will be possible to buy "vaping fluid" (urgh) with the flavour of oil, hot steel and coal ash...

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Maybe one day it will be possible to buy "vaping fluid" (urgh) with the flavour of oil, hot steel and coal ash...

About 30 years ago a US firm offered a product called Olfactory Airs, designed with a choice of multiple aromas as you suggest, to give the railway room a little extra atmosphere. I’m not sure they were a great success.
  • Like 1

This topic wasn't supposed to be about the merits or otherwise of smoke.

However, the most important people in the equation are the layout owners and what their wishes are which I frequently discuss with them.

• Like 2

About 30 years ago a US firm offered a product called Olfactory Airs, designed with a choice of multiple aromas as you suggest, to give the railway room a little extra atmosphere.....

I can do that all on my own.

A curry and a couple of pints usually helps the effect.

This topic wasn't supposed to be about the merits or otherwise of smoke.

However, the most important people in the equation are the layout owners and what their wishes are which I frequently discuss with them.

perhaps not, but like a conversation in the pub (and that is the best real world analogy) it will wander around and many of those wanderings provide interesting diversions from the original topic ;)

Well, I don't care if they Photoshop a bit of smoke on the pictures.

What REALLY irks me is the bad habit of photoshopping real backgrounds in every picture!

If the builder hasn't managed to build a complete railroad environment, then it is to be shot as is.