OO/HO Otters - any model figures?

• RMweb Premium

For my next project, I would like to include a pair of otters in a scene, but I've not been able to find any. Google searches only produce airplane kits, art sculptures or cuddly toys. Has anyone used/seen any figures of otters? 

Busch do a small animals set but otters are absent from it ( butterflies, frogs, rats, snakes, insects, salamanders, hares, squirrels, hedgehogs, ravens, woodpeckers, owls and fishes)

Gaugemaster have a long list of HO Preiser items but otters do not seem to feature as far as I see

http://www.gaugemaster.com/search_results.asp?searchstring=animal%20brand~~583~~brand+scale~~%ACho%AC~~scale&style=&andor=&method=&strType=&OB=&currentpage=1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the suggestions. I've had a look round and at the moment the best bet looks like get a 7mm scale weasel and attack it with a file, then do a repaint. I'm a bit surprised no-one's done a moulding, had hoped Dart Castings or Langley would have done some, had a look at York yesterday. I'm no good at sculpting otherwise I'd try that. 

It's a good job it wasn't another type of aquatic mammal.  Searching for beaver models may have a different outcome. ;)

Seriously that's alright as it's all planes and trucks.

Yes, I ended up looking at some pictures of Canadians' undercarriages last night when I did a Google search. Not quite as bad as the time I looked for "Cornish Models" in a hurry (I'd a temporary mindblock on 'Kernow Models') and ended up at a web-page of life models... 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I will try and do an otter  or two for Dart castings if they agree which they usually do .I have done some 00 badgers recently and i think they are a similar size .Saw an otter leap up  and grab a black bird once at a zoo .It didnt go down well with the kiddies or  their mums but  it was an impressive turn .

Edited by alfsboy
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

On a slightly different point but similar - can anyone give a reason why, when you buy a pack of Preiser peacocks, you get 2 peacocks, a peahen and ..... a turkey as well ?  Does anyone anywhere want a single turkey ?  

:scratchhead:.... 

• RMweb Premium

I will try and do an otter  or two for Dart castings if they agree which they usually do .I have done some 00 badgers recently and i think they are a similar size. 

Thankyou, that would be useful if it happens. I think generally otters are longer, usually about four feet long including tail vs about three feet for badgers, though sleeker and about 2/3rds the weight of a badger. There's a nice picture of one on the front of some editions of Henry Williamson's Tarka book. Given a free choice, I'd like at least two 'poses', one swimming and one standing/walking. 

• RMweb Premium

You could always get one 3D scanned, just got to get it to stay still in the pose you want!

Well, I guess Andy would think he'd definitely had too much to drink for lunch if I post a request for anyone with a tame otter to get in touch!

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Buy yourself a model weasel.

Put it in the fridge until it's cold, then warm it up and then it'll be a little 'otter.

Sorry ...

I did ask for a chicken tarka at my local indian take away... like a tikka but just a little otter! Sorry Beast!

And whilst we are on mustelids...

How do you tell the difference between a stoat and a weasel? ....

One is weasily seen and the other is stoatally different....

But back to reality....

4ft would be a large otter  - 3ft probably more to scale, we often see them when out on the rivers, they can be fearless!

Please come back if you ferret some out as would like some for Abbotswood Mk2

Phil