Bachmann 2 EPB

Summer_Saturday

• RMweb Gold

Just found this lovely pic of the all-blue 2EPB in the Warley thread. Looks like a lovely model, but shouldn't that black triangle be at the end of the coach with the baggage compartment: ie the other coach?

post-3981-024363500 1290555424_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Already mentioned in other threads (the Warley one and the pre production Bachmann one) but in fact the blue EPB that was on show had black triangles on BOTH ends and yes the one you see there should not be there!!

It is reported that the blue one will be a little later than the blue/grey NSE branded and green ones which suggests the possibility that this issue is being addressed.

Of course it does not mean that there weren't any EPB's or any other BR(S) units with triangles where they should not have been...

• RMweb Premium
Of course it does not mean that there weren't any EPB's or any other BR(S) units with triangles where they should not have been...

Personally I have never seen one and I cannot think of any recorded instance of this occurring going back to 1970 (green SYP / FYE both had the triangle) when my records begin.

• RMweb Gold

It's a question of whether we should model the everyday or the extraordinary. Southern units had painted numbers on each end, but it wasn't until the very early '70s that anyone actually knew where every unit was overnight. From that time on, every berthing point - there were an awful lot then - was required to report the actual unit numbers on hand at close of service to its Divisional Control. These were then reported forward and a Regional reconciliation undertaken. Inevitably there were missing units and duplicate reported numbers, leading to people being sent out in the night to try again! [i was once threatened with discipline for not calling out the SM at Tattenham Corner in the small hours to do just that, such was the political dogma of the day!] On more than one occasion it was found that a unit had different numbers on each end.

Model that, or the "twin triangles" being discussed here, and you will be forever explaining your "error" to your knowledgeable visitors!

...even if I have to paint out a black triangle!

A lot easier than painting out red stripes, Kent Link signs, NSE flashes, and removing surplus high-brightness headlamps. I have therefore cancelled my order for a brace of blue/grey units, and now wait an extra couple of months for the blue ones. A little dischuffed about that, I am - if that is not too silly a word to use in the context of EMU models.

• RMweb Gold

"Dischuffed" scratchchin.gif

Is that the same as being short of steam or having ones' fire thrown out?

"The current has been dischuffed on the Up Line between Highpoint Substation and Blogs Bottom TP Hut, as a result of a persistent short circuit."

Fits quite well into railway vernacular!

I think that this set looks great, almost irresistable. There's just a voice deep inside, though, that keeps telling me a 2-BIL or a 2-NOL would look just as good, if not better.

Hey-ho; perhaps the day will dawn............

Every chance that the underframe on the real thing was from a 2-NOL :D

• RMweb Gold

Every chance that the underframe on the real thing was from a 2-NOL :D

Not on this one as it's the BR standard design. The SR design 2-EPBs did indeed re-use the old 2-NOL underframes though.

I posted this to another thread but it probably fits better here:

It was suggested to me at Warley that the 2 EPB Motor Brake Second has the wrong roof. Even though the periscopes are in the correct place, the conduits were suggested as being those of the 'Tyneside' version, which was different to the main batch for the SR. Looking at photos, it seems there were at least two variants within the 5701-5779 series (itself built in several batches over period of around four years) plus further differences on the 'Tyneside' version, aside from the periscopes.

The photos of the Bachmann samples at Warley seem to be a close match for higher-numbered 2 EPBs (eg 5754) but don't match the lower numbered units (eg 5725). The last of the old style appears to have been 5752, with the later style applying from 5753 onwards. The roof also seems a close match for the first batch of 2 Hap units (6001-42). The conduits on the sample do not quite match a Tyneside unit. If that is what Bachmann have done, it seems sensible provided you choose the correct numbers, as the roof is then ready for an early 2 Hap should Bachmann decide to do one.

Has anyone got to the bottom of the MBS roof detail?

Your reference to the 2 HAP is interesting. Bachmann are no making the 2H/3H for Kernow and it has been suggested that the driving trailer from this model with changes to the underframe plus the addition of shoe gear added to the brake from the 2 EPB would provide a BR 2 HAP.

With your detailed knowledge of BR EMUs is this feasible?

Sounds very feasible. There is also a very minor difference in the front-end jumper cable arrangement - DEMUs don't have a link coming up to a junction box to the rigt of the main 27-way jumper. The basic body design is identical but, as you say, there may be differences between underframe and roof equipment that would be easily done by Bachmann.

The roof of a 2/3H DTC is different to that of a '1951 stock' 2 Hap (ie 6001-42). The latter has lots of conduit. Not sure if the roof vents were in a different place but they might have been. Also note that not all 2/3H were the same.

The interior was slightly different as the compartment behind the driver's cab was for mail, parcels etc on at least some of the DEMUs, I forget which, and was not linked by corridor to the two adjoining first class compartments.

The inner ends of the DEMUs were different as they had buckeyes and MU jumpers throughout whereas on a Hap there was a close coupling and centre buffer, as on an EPB. Note that the first batch of 2 EPBs were to have had buckeyes throughout but this would have made them too long for some platforms or sidings if an 8-car train were to be formed 4x2 EPB. Thus when the DTS from 6 2 EPBs were converted for use in the 'Tadpole' DEMUs they all came from the first batch, which had suitable underframes for buckeyes and Pullman rubbing plates at the inner ends.

Nevertheless, the door and window arrangement was the same on a 2 Hap DTC as on a 2/3H.

The first batch of 2 Hap units is a particularly good one to model as they appeared all over the place, with 26 of them forming 4 Cap units 3201-13 in later life. All except 6022/3 were downgraded to 2 Sap c1974, being renumbered 5901-40, later being reinstated as 2 Hap. Most of the Caps lasted into the 1990s, though the last 2 Hap survivors were from later batches.

• RMweb Premium
The interior was slightly different as the compartment behind the driver's cab was for mail, parcels etc on at least some of the DEMUs

The compartment next to the driving cab in the DTC vehicles was fitted out with two six-a-side bench seats as new. It was then decided that there might be a need to increase luggage space on the Hampshire area service as diesel and regular headway services which replaced steam produced a jump in patronage. The addition of the centre car, which was also in response to this demand, meant that seating overall was not lost in most cases. The units which had the luggage compartment conversion were the "Hampshire" ones, 1101 - 1126 of which 1119 - 1122 never gained a centre car. 1127 - 1133 were known as "Berkshire" units and always had seating in this compartment. The intention was to keep those on Reading - Salisbury services but they were usually freely mixed with the others.

• RMweb Premium

Eventually yes, and with 2EPB coaches (ex-3R "Tadpole" units) added which links back nicely to the topic, but they never received a centre trailer in the original program nor carrying their original unit numbers.

Mentioning the 3R driving trailers reminds me; they were ex-EMU vehicles and had the extra "plumbing", so the Tadpoles were probably "asymmetrical" in more ways than any other SR unit, although there were many hybrid EMUs over the years.

Sorry, that's drifting back off-topic again!.

Hi all,

Great news for all the NSE fans Bachmann have put the NSE flashes on the front and back of the blue/grey 2EPB and also the NSE branding on the side B)

Pictures from Warley....

001-28.jpg

005-28.jpg

006-27.jpg

Best start counting the cash out...

Thanks all

Darren NSE DAZ

• RMweb Premium

Interesting, the NSE branded Blue/Grey example appears to be unit 6238 with DTSO 77537 as listed in the 1987 Platform 5 combined volume however by 1992 she had lost 77537 and gained 77151 which was from what I can work out an ex Class 413 4-CAP (and therefore ex 2-HAP before that) DTCsoL formerly of 4-CAP 3208.

I love number crunching.... :D

Might well buy two blue/grey and renumber both of them in the same series as 6238 and then buy a third for repainting into NSE livery assuming that Bachmann don't then announce one in February of course!

Hi all,

Great news for all the NSE fans Bachmann have put the NSE flashes on the front and back of the blue/grey 2EPB and also the NSE branding on the side B)

Pictures from Warley....

001-28.jpg

005-28.jpg

006-27.jpg

Best start counting the cash out...

Thanks all

Darren NSE DAZ

Brilliant cant wait for it to come out now and good to see it has NEM couplings on the front so it can also be dragged round by a 37 or whatever you fancy or you could re-create the East kent railway with the Green one :D

James

Archived