Provision of SPAD Indicators

• RMweb Premium

Here’s a cropped photo of mine showing 60042 at Didcot East Jn in 2008.

You can see the SPAD indicator on the left of the pic and judging by the ID plate, the SPAD indicator is applicable to two signals; SB916 &SB918:

post-6818-0-68409600-1522860724_thumb.jpeg

The SPAD indicator is no longer there but I can’t recall when it disappeared.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There are two SPADi's on the King's Lynn road, one as shown at Maggy Road, the other at Littleport. In both cases they are on the down road protecting the single line, which in both cases becomes the up road on the double track sections. The there is no corresponding SPADi's protecting the other ends of the singles.

Both work when the overlaps of the protecting signals is occupied with the protecting signal at red. At this point the inner red lense marked STOP comes on, and the top and bottom lights start flashing. Hopefully the driver will stop at this point.

They will stop flashing when the overlap track becomes unoccupied again. The operating procedure if you have to talk past the protecting signal is to tell the driver to use his BR1 key to open a locked cupboard at the protecting signal and press a plunger, which locks the SPADi for one movement. Quite often the driver won't bother and will drive past it flashing.....

Also good for difficult faults, like 1st filament failures when unlit!

Andy g

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The first one was provided at Wincobank  junction at the end of the platform at Meadowhall Station coming from Barnsley as it was related to the number of SPAD at the protecting signal!

Platforms at the West end of Leeds were provided with these but were removed when resignalled and TPWS replaced these!

The provision was based on a risk of collision if there was a conflicting movement over a junction, an additional AWS magnet was provided at the signal and the SPAD indicator 200 yards in advance!

If a signal was passed at Danger on an adjacent line with the potential for conflicting movement it would be activated!

The SPAD indicator was activated as soon as the overlap was exceeded by the occupation of the track circuit.

All this was about 20 years ago!

Mark Saunders

There is still one at Leeds West - I saw it today!

Interesting video called 'SPAD Indicators' on YouTube  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xje3coP9-IM

The sequence involving 144022 was filmed at Shipley; to the best of my knowledge that one is still there.

Hi,

Having collated all the information provided, I have had a go at providing a SPAD Indicator on the plan for the new layout:

post-7271-0-25137900-1522914276_thumb.jpg

It's main use will be for SPADs of CD811, although it feels to me that it should also work in the case of a SPAD of CD810 and CD812. Although if a train SPADs CD810, then the flank protection should divert it away from something crossing the junction, however a SASSPAD of CD810 resulting in a collision at CP of 593 points with something leaving the Bay is possible. 

I think it's in the right place for what's it doing, and I only went for a ground mounted as it's slightly cheaper and it's more suited to the area.

Simon

• RMweb Gold

I think it's more likely for it to apply to 810 & 812 than 811 as the platforms provide the additional distraction source. Certainly a good idea in reality to link it to 811 too though but wouldn't it also have a co-linked indicator to warn the SPADing driver? Even if the overlap is over the junction it would reduce the speed of a collision rather than let the train continue foul of other lines.

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

I think it's more likely for it to apply to 810 & 812 than 811 as the platforms provide the additional distraction source. Certainly a good idea in reality to link it to 811 too though but wouldn't it also have a co-linked indicator to warn the SPADing driver? Even if the overlap is over the junction it would reduce the speed of a collision rather than let the train continue foul of other lines.

Yes, I did think about a co-acting SPAD, it's more money, but I think you are right in that I should have one.

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Do they do ground SPADi's? I thought the idea was to have them at drivers eye height so they attract attention, I can't see a ground mounted one doing that...

Andy g

Do they do ground SPADi's? I thought the idea was to have them at drivers eye height so they attract attention, I can't see a ground mounted one doing that...

Andy g

I am sure that some of the Leeds ones at the West End were ground mounted !

Mark Saunders

I am sure that some of the Leeds ones at the West End were ground mounted !

Mark Saunders

Yeah, there was at least one at Leeds was ground mounted and applied to two signals (it is in the video that was linked to earlier)

Simon