Tuxford North LNER OO Gauge

mintmansam

Hi All,

I am attempting to create a layout which will allow me to run large express passenger trains in a continuous loop along with branchline traffic. A halfway house between true prototypical running and enjoyment. I wanted a station to add a bit of operational interest.

My interest stems from seeing long express trains running through shallow cuttings. My choice for LNER is simple I was born in Doncaster and stories of my Great Grandfather and Grandfather (LNER/BR drivers) have always interested me. 

I have searched for small stations along the ECML and found one which I believe offers me a good base to start modelling, Tuxford North. My focus is the 1920-1940 LNER period. Tuxford north has one bridge at the south end (right on the plan) which will provide a scenic break, the north end I am still unsure about at this stage.

I have tried to maximise the viewing area by adding a shallow sweeping bend along the layout this will (if my calculations are right) give a 3.2m viewing area rather than 2.6m if I had left the track straight (with 90 degree Hornby 2nd radius curves at the ends). I have a room which can accommodate a 3.6m by 1.8m layout. 

Anyway here is the plan and a few photos.

http://www.oldtuxford.com/ry/ry.asp?NextPhoto=ry12

http://www.oldtuxford.com/ry/ry.asp?NextPhoto=ry07

I have limited knowledge of model railway creation any advice to improve the layout would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Sam

post-34102-0-37239300-1522687178_thumb.png

post-34102-0-95622700-1522687187_thumb.png

post-34102-0-20120200-1522687203_thumb.png

post-34102-0-86924600-1522687212_thumb.jpg

post-34102-0-30207500-1522687349_thumb.png

• Like 3

So here is a little more information to help shape the layout 

Red is the scenic break 

Grey are the roads 

Brown are the various buildings; station, goods shed, signal box etc

Green are the rough embankments

I am thinking of some sort of loading area to the far left but still unsure

post-34102-0-98741800-1522699863_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I'd be pretty confident that what you've drawn as a plain diamond crossing on the lead in from the sidings to the down main would in fact have been a double slip. Yes, here you go. But I like the way the scenic break hides a multitude of sins...

Ah yes, thanks for the spot I will update the track plan ..... hopefully it still fits.

Yes I tried to avoid sharp radius curves and to be honest I don't like the curved points but this is due to me trying to give the layout as much length as physically possible.

I may bring the scenic breaks forward a little to hide the curves further.

• Like 1

So its been a pretty good first day of the weekend.

The scenic baseboards are up. I eventually settled on the layout being 850mm high.

Wasn't sure how this would feel but, in a seated position you get nice view and its easy to reach everything when stood up.

Just got to clear the spare motorbike and cars bits then plenty more space.

post-34102-0-56066300-1523100044_thumb.jpeg

• 2 years later...

Update, the first layout stalled due to me offering the room to a friend for a while.

I restarted the project but have gone with alternate design, same setting of Tuxford I've settled on 1938 with a bit of artistic license (I think) as i'll be running A4s (Silver, Green and Commonwealths) W1 and P2s in non rebuilt form, I've just ordered both new P2s; Earl of Marischal and Lord President from Hornby (might cancel the Earl of Marischal if it doesn't come with additional deflectors as its too similar to Cock o North).

The new design I hope takes better advantage of the room and being "inside" the curve. expanding the total view length from 3.2m to 3.9m and reducing the about the layout encroaches into the room , I have added a coal gas plant in the south to add a bit of additional interest. I will make even greater use of forced perception (maybe not the correct phrase) to enhance the length of the layout, at either end the layout will bend on Hornby 2nd and 3rd curves back on itself under the scenic sections with fake lines pulling the eyes onwards.

The layout is now 900mm high to ensure the distant ends of the layout can be concealed by the raised terrain in-front. each gradient will start within the scenic section to minimise the gradient, Im aiming for a 1 in 40 gradient or shallower.

The base baseboard is complete and I am starting on the gradients to the upper base board.

tuxford jpeg.jpg

Gradient has taken a bit of fiddling and trial and error. I have ended up with a gradient of 1 in 41 on the outer line at worst point and 1 in 35 on the most inner radius. A Hornby J83 can haul 3-4 railroad teaks up without excessive slip, above that 5 is possible but the slip is getting a bit silly and 6 can be done with enough speed. Fortunately normally the 1 in 35 will a decent and the 1 in 41 a climb. I can optimise the other side to get a 1 in 50-60. Only half of the gradient is actually complete, the rest is mocked up roughly correct. Once complete I think 5 teaks might be possible

I do have the option to fit ballast or track mags, but holding out on that unless its really necessary.

It should be possible to make rapid progress on the upper board throughout February.

IMG_4909.jpeg

IMG_4912.jpeg

Edited by mintmansam

7 car pull on the sharpest radius and gradient from a standing start, impressive from the A1 Flying Fox. Apart from the front bogie issue, hopefully a little weight might help on the bogie. Is there a check rail I could install? 

Cant test the P2 today, forgot it’s DCC which gives strange running going forward

Whilst this isn’t ideal running I am happy with the performance to move onto more of the baseboard. In reality the trains shall only go up the wider radius line. And I intend to weight up the locomotives in due course. I also have the fall back of magnets and steel plates under the track, but based off these results I see no need to. I won’t get to full prototypical running lengths 

4E12CD35-8138-489C-B322-B758402C19D1.jpeg

Edited by mintmansam
  • Like 2

So I had thought id settled on the look of the upper section, however something was bothering me, in the redesign I had mirrored the entire layout. I thought nothing of it at the time. However with the gradient testing I realised I had placed the majority of the operation interest (sidings) on the tightest radius and steepest gradient. This also presented a problem as the lines that were on the left hand side were now on the right, and I still wanted to run as per prototype (on the left).

Anyway last evening I became convinced I could do better, so I re-did the entire top section, making it as close to prototype as I could. Results, better than before, much less compromise not even considering prototypical considerations. more flowing, bonus is extremely close to the real thing

photos attached (hopefully they attach in the right order)

Updated layout plan to follow

Looking at the photos myself, I might do some small tweaks to get it even more closer to the real thing

15067678069_04c072fb9b_o.jpg

tuxford signal box copy.jpg

15067867187_8a00de7dc6_o.jpg

tuxford station copy.jpg

17255267956_a0569b6cc3_o.jpg

tuxford bridge copy.jpg

Edited by mintmansam
  • Like 4

Well here is it a slight update, much better in my opinion now. Its all peco code 75 set track so there are some limits, I think I can slightly bend the points to get it just right. Also is the latest track plan, visible sections and full inc fiddle yard

17255267956_a0569b6cc3_o.jpg

tuxford bridge 2 copy.jpgtuxford 5 short.jpgtuxford 5 full.jpg

Edited by mintmansam

Well tonight hasn't gone as well as expected my 1 in 40ish gradient that I thought would be ok, appears not to be I was fouled by the impressive pulling power of the first A1 I tried, pulling 9 coaches (one with a very poor axle gauge causing drag worth 2/3 cars), subsequent Hornby 4-6-2s although from the same vintage appear not to have the same pulling power. (same chassis and weight) I believe its down to usage, the A1 Royal Lancer has never been used until this evening.

Interestingly I have found that the tighter radius gave increased performance I assume from the wheels being pushed into the outside rail thus increasing locomotive adhesion.

I will have to turn to increased ballast and/or magnets and a thin gauge steel to improve adhesion.

Table below, number of coaches pulled (mix of Hornby railroad and super detailed teaks), green is pulled without slip, yellow pulled with fraction of slip

image.png.12f00f14f8bc519fa1c9bd7a53df6c08.png

I'll try and find out, I spent ages clicking pictures on google images then following the trail to find more, I ended up down some obscure rabbit holes. I recall finding a untitled flickr album with 100s of photo none were named so I spent hours searching to see if I could see anything useful

1 hour ago, JamieR4489 said:

Hello,

This is a fantastic photo, where did you find it, please? I've seen the other prototype shots you've included but never this one.

Regards,

Jamie

Not sure if you've seen these, the bridge photo shows the old double slip, which appears to have been removed at some time prior to 1950. Have you any photographs of the station frontage or a plan more detailed than the OS Map?

15067885488_4ec05db9ec_o.jpg

15254048022_5482dfd166_o.jpg

17278421122_69e0386aba_o.jpg

1 hour ago, mintmansam said:

Not sure if you've seen these, the bridge photo shows the old double slip, which appears to have been removed at some time prior to 1950. Have you any photographs of the station frontage or a plan more detailed than the OS Map?

15067885488_4ec05db9ec_o.jpg

15254048022_5482dfd166_o.jpg

17278421122_69e0386aba_o.jpg

Wow thanks! I hadn't seen any of those. Unfortunately, no I don't have anything on the station buildings or a more detailed map.

I think I've seen that colour photo before

Jamie

11 minutes ago, JamieR4489 said:

Wow thanks! I hadn't seen any of those. Unfortunately, no I don't have anything on the station buildings or a more detailed map.

I think I've seen that colour photo before

Jamie

Unfortunately I found the link to the picture but it’s been removed, glad I saved them now 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 years later...