It could be anything from a lean to on the side of a bigger building to something that looks like the Airfix kit, right up to a shed that wouldn't look out of place on the mainline such as NCB Ashington or Manvers Main.

http://rcts.zenfolio.com/industrial-and-light/industrial-steam/national-coal-board/ashington/hA1004E34#ha1004e34

Click on the photo second from the left at the bottom for Manvers Main.

http://www.geoffspages.co.uk/raildiary/yorks_ncb.htm

Jason

Look on Amazon for "Castleford Colliery Railways" by the late Ron Rockett.

I have a similar project on the back burner in 7mm.

You can also find several examples of home movie on u tube made by miners during the final weeks of their colliery

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone I'm building an oo gauge colliery loco shed micro layout. It will be standard gauge and host j94s, gronks, sentinels and refurbed pugs. I was wondering if any of you would be able to share some pictures/ links/ anything colliery railway related with me to give me some inspiration and prototypes to worm from. TIA :)

Great topic for modelling, there're a couple of books available from the Industrial Railway Society on industrial loco sheds, https://irsshop.co.uk/sheds

Full of photos I find these books a real inspiration.

Good luck with your project.

Cheers,

Keith

• Thanks 1

post-17261-0-02962800-1523271092_thumb.jpgpost-17261-0-36214000-1523271179_thumb.jpgpost-17261-0-64480100-1523271247_thumb.jpgpost-17261-0-51714800-1523271305_thumb.jpg

Not a colliery, but the shed at Agecroft power station in the early 1970s.

Like my previous post, these are photos of photos, no scanner yet.

This was Agecroft as it was, before the1980 Rainhill stuff with multicoloured locos and coaches.

I organised two trips with the Hulme Grammar model railway club. Both were quite superb. The staff were fantastic, all the good stuff ensued, footplate trips, driving, Oh My Yes!!!!

As you can see, the shed was purpose built with smoke troughs, pits etc. 

Note the rather well built concrete coaling stage. This was replenished by tipper lorries from the adjacent Agecroft colliert.

You can also see the overhead convayer that replaced the locos.

Again I apologise for the quality, but I thought people might like them.

Chris.

• Like 9

The steam shed at NCB Mountain Ash circa 1975.

The poor quality is a combination of (i) a Zenit 'B' (ii) hand held exposure meter (iii) Ilford FP4 film (iv) a poor photographer - me.

On the left is 'Sir Gomer, Peckett Wks. 1859 and on the right ex-GWR/BR 7754.

Note the (at least) 3 different types of brickwork, stonework and corrugated gable.

On the left was a coaling shelter, which covered a couple of sixteen tonners to protect the crews as they shovelled loco coal across to the locos.

The coaling road held a withdrawn Peckett Wks.1203 'The Earl' for a couple of years, until it was moved to a siding alongside the diesel shed.

Brian R

post-1599-0-14693700-1523429464_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

A better, side view of the NCB Mountain Ash steam shed.

This became the hub of the system at the turn of the 1970s when the line was linked to the former NCB 'Aberamman Railways' at its northern end near the Abercwmboi Phurnacite plant, and the line south was brought back into use to serve a hopper loader near Penrhiwceiber Colliery.

A model of this shed, done with several different styles of brickwork, stonework, broken window panes, spilled oil and ash would be really effective.

Brian R

post-1599-0-34563200-1523431117_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

A 1955 view of a structure that appears  similar to a 'Nissen' hut ( or for our U.S. members, a 'Quonset' hut ) passed for the 'engine shed' at the NCBOE Upper Blaenavon Disposal Point.

Considering how high above sea level, and exposed the site was, creature comforts were obviously not a priority for the contractor operating the site on behalf of the NCBOE.

Brian R

post-1599-0-70121900-1523432171.jpg

Edited by br2975
  • Like 4

Another ramshackle NCBOE engine shed, this time at the Glyn Neath Disposal Point (photographer unknown).

The nearer loco is RSH 7296 / 1945, former BR No.68070.

Brian R

PS

A generalisation........

NCBOE = National Coal Board Opencast Executive.

Whilst the NCBOE oversaw opencast operations, the actual mining was generally performed by contractors hired in by the executive.

The place where the opencast mined coal was loaded into rail or road vehicles for movement elsewhere was referred to as a 'disposal point' 

post-1599-0-19054000-1523432471_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Another ramshackle NCBOE engine shed, this time at the Glyn Neath Disposal Point (photographer unknown).

The nearer loco is RSH 7296 / 1945, former BR No.68070.

Brian R

PS

A generalisation........

NCBOE = National Coal Board Opencast Executive.

Whilst the NCBOE oversaw opencast operations, the actual mining was generally performed by contractors hired in by the executive.

The place where the opencast mined coal was loaded into rail or road vehicles for movement elsewhere was referred to as a 'disposal point' 

A good study in alternative hand /foot holds.

I like that Nissen hut type shed. Almost certainly a standard 24ft wide shed , raised by adding bridge support walls( approx 5ft? high) .

Would be a challenge to model. In the Roco Minitank range, although stated as being HO, there is a Nissen hut which is a 24ft wide one in 4mm/ft near enough. Only has corrugations on outside though.

I have dsigned my own standard 16ft wide Nissen hut, with internal frame and corrugations for 3D printing, even managed to get frame printed on its own, just about. It should be possible to do a bigger shed,so that something looking like this ranshacke one could be built.

That second shed, asbestos not iron, reminds me of the Britains Farm building, but would still need the internal framing.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

The steam shed at NCB Mountain Ash circa 1975.

The poor quality is a combination of (i) a Zenit 'B' (ii) hand held exposure meter (iii) Ilford FP4 film (iv) a poor photographer - me.

On the left is 'Sir Gomer, Peckett Wks. 1859 and on the right ex-GWR/BR 7754.

Note the (at least) 3 different types of brickwork, stonework and corrugated gable.

On the left was a coaling shelter, which covered a couple of sixteen tonners to protect the crews as they shovelled loco coal across to the locos.

The coaling road held a withdrawn Peckett Wks.1203 'The Earl' for a couple of years, until it was moved to a siding alongside the diesel shed.

Brian R

Great prototype. One wall stone t'other in brick. That should get certain exhibition visitors tongues wagging.

I feel a challenge coming on: best loco shed made entirely from the scrap box??

I think I used the corrugated roof from a Ratio Carriage Shed kit for the loco shed on Lower Pandy.  Ratio used to visit exhibitions selling a variety of sprues and components from their structure kits.  I wish they (ie Peco) still did, there were some very useful parts available.

• RMweb Premium