Done a bit more digging today and found a treasure trove of photos. Here is a link to an online gallery of 40 photos Cronton colliery and the wills branch that fed it:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/90397953@N02/sets/72157632123306076

Fabulous.

You have really dropped on here. An almost standard, if there ever was such a thing, austerity in green. Happy days.

I have missed the first of April window for explaining the steam dome on the cab roof on the geisel fitted locomotives.

There is a picture in Google images showing the locos inwinter with canvas sidescreens.

Fabulous.

You have really dropped on here. An almost standard, if there ever was such a thing, austerity in green. Happy days.

I have missed the first of April window for explaining the steam dome on the cab roof on the geisel fitted locomotives.

There is a picture in Google images showing the locos inwinter with canvas sidescreens.

I think the canvas side screens became almost a standard adjustment in its own right as lots of colliery j94s had them fitted during the winter. On YouTube I follow this guy who makes some great videos about collieries:

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCjh7hMuNi7K74kui2_fABXw

Well worth a watch and its all in colour as well which makes modeling collieries even easier!

• RMweb Premium

I have a question. I have just found this thread about Cronton Colliery and there is a picture of a small diesel shunter. I know absolutely nothing about it and believed that it was steam worked until closure. Can anyone shed any light on it?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/65054-cronton-colliery-1970/

It's a Yorkshire 170 or 220hp 0-4-0DE, not to be confused with the BR 02 0-4-0DH. It's more or less half a Janus in its 220hp form.

I think the canvas side screens became almost a standard adjustment in its own right as lots of colliery j94s had them fitted during the winter. On YouTube I follow this guy who makes some great videos about collieries: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCjh7hMuNi7K74kui2_fABXw

Well worth a watch and its all in colour as well which makes modeling collieries even easier!

Even more variation on thhe Hudswell Clarkes. Some had the canvas, others a sliding screen and at least one had the apperture welded up.

It's a Yorkshire 170 or 220hp 0-4-0DE, not to be confused with the BR 02 0-4-0DH. It's more or less half a Janus in its 220hp form.

Thanks do you know if there are any kits of it available or would it have to be a scratch build?

Even more variation on thhe Hudswell Clarkes. Some had the canvas, others a sliding screen and at least one had the apperture welded up.

I've seen pictures of j94s with wooden shunter like things on the side of the cab.

Thanks do you know if there are any kits of it available or would it have to be a scratch build? I've seen pictures of j94s with wooden shunter like things on the side of the cab.

All ad hoc arrangements at individual collieries. Whilst some locos went back to Hunslet for rebuilding, others were reconstructed at area workshops and even fully rebuilt in the colliery yard. When transferred, modifications often did not meet the approval of the chief engineer and were changed in line with his thoughts.

All ad hoc arrangements at individual collieries. Whilst some locos went back to Hunslet for rebuilding, others were reconstructed at area workshops and even fully rebuilt in the colliery yard. When transferred, modifications often did not meet the approval of the chief engineer and were changed in line with his thoughts.

Makes sense. I cant imagine that the colliery work shops weren't properly kitted out though working on the tight budget that they did.

I have some visible progress for you now. Firstly my solder came in the post today so I have wired up all the track. The first picture shows the under side of the baseboard. Quick tip: I hot glue wooden clothe pegs to the underside of the base board as a wire tidy.post-32204-0-90963800-1523036106_thumb.jpg And here's a pic of the test train. My Hornby sentinel with a 7 plank wagon. If my sentinel can get around the track fine then I'm expecting the rest of my fleet to!post-32204-0-16743900-1523036172_thumb.jpg Let the testing commence!

• RMweb Premium

Thinking a bit more about this, I printed the YE drawings at 4mm scale to compare with my Craftsman 02. Wheelbase is the same and the cab is about the same but the 02 is 9" longer, mostly in the engine casing. More noticeable is that the BR locos didn't have the usual YE fuel tanks incorporated into the footplate and the casing doors are quite different. End view is more or less the same.

post-1643-0-04848200-1523110179_thumb.jpg

It could be built from a combination of Janus and 02 parts.

Sorry if I haven't spotted it above, but...
There are two books available re Collieries.
'Modelling Aspects of the Coal Industry', and 'Modelling Further Aspects of the Coal Industry', both published by Book Law Publications, compiled by Rob Johnson..

After a busy day exhibiting Rumbling Bridge at the sdrm 40th anniversary celebrations exhibition (I'm back again tomorrow doing another day of operational fun / stress/ crazy time) I'm back home and modeling. Tonight I draw my attention to the engine shed I want to have at the front of the layout. Because of the track angles I would either need to cut up my rubbish old 50 pence engine shed or build a new one so I have decided to scratch build one. Here is a picture of the 50 pence engine shed.post-32204-0-18867900-1523132705_thumb.jpg I picked this shed up at an exhibition a few years back and it has been an invaluable source of dimensions and a great building to put on a layout being planned to get an impression of what the layout will look like when its finished. I have adapted some of the dimensions to suit my taste but most of the dimensions for my shed came off this one. Because the shed will be diagonal, one side wall will be longer than the other. The base for the building is 5mm foamboard which is rigid, strong, cheaper than plasticard and easier to cut. I have stuck slaters brick plasticard on top of it with rocket card glue. I've only done one of the side walls as seen in this picture:post-32204-0-34767600-1523132960_thumb.jpg There will be a window cut out of it but I'll cut that out once its dry. The end of the loco shed is done in the same method as above and here's a picture:post-32204-0-65416600-1523133049_thumb.jpg I have now got a deadline to finnish the layout to be in chance of a brilliant opportunity. I wont go into detail about this opportunity until the 1st of May which is the deadline. Well I haven't got much time but then I haven't got much space to model so hopefully it will he finished in time. If not then i will just have to wait a year or so but I am confident that I will get the layout finished by the 1st of May. Thanks for looking and all your helpful advice. :)

Guest ShildonShunter

Great modelling Luke i like your scratch build progress of an engine shed, can't wait to see more.:)

Thanks Jerry and Shildon. The show was packer which is great and we're looking forward for today's show.A bit of late night modeling saw the their wall being made and glued in place. Same method as before except I didn't cut a window out of it. There will be a low relief work shop extension coming from it so I wanted to keep it simple. Just one more wall to do but that wont be a visible one. It will be structural fourth wall at the back to keep the roof from sagging too much. After that I have a few plasti card trimmings to make and a window and make the roof (I'm thinking a corrugated iron roof would suit it well) then it will be time to paint and weather it then its done. I reckon 2 more evenings of work and it will be nearly finished. Anyway, here's a picture of the third wall.post-32204-0-13999200-1523170133_thumb.jpg

Makes sense. I cant imagine that the colliery work shops weren't properly kitted out though working on the tight budget that they did.

I could probably think of a hundred relevant stories, tight budgets are not one of them. Where budgets were tight and an individual colliery could not afford the transport to area workshops and the ensuing bill, their own workforce was considered as a resourceful and cost free resource.

Towards the end, steam locos were retained on "standby" or kept mothballed on the whim of an individual manager.