I've done a little job on some of the Cronton colliery rolling stock. I have branded my kit built 16 ton coal wagon as an internal wagon. I simply put a white cross on one of the panels. This was done with a white tipex pen. Quite a simple job and im quite pleased with the results.post-32204-0-33441600-1528646592_thumb.jpg Next on my stock work bench is the pug bash which I would like to heavily weather and neglect. Also, in the near future i would like to do some work to my j94. Im unsure wether I want to do a complete repaint or strip it of its British railways branding and just heavily weather it. Hmmmm. Undecided. I want to use it for other layouts so I dont want to tie it down to a particular colliery/area.

• Like 2

Thanks to some spare time and the fact that I only have one exam left means that I have progressed with the lighting rig for the layout. It was knocked up out of some spare bits of wood and painted black. It isn't a wooden masterpiece or anything of the sort but is functional and good practice for future layouts to come. Here are some pictures of it:post-32204-0-84926400-1528901709_thumb.jpgpost-32204-0-52749700-1528901726_thumb.jpg As you can tell in the last photos it is currently being glued down to tue backscene before I will screw it into place. After that I will stick the led tape down and keep you posted. In upcoming days I will begin to dismantle my current home layout ravendale in preparation of starting a completely new layout this summer. More details will be released on that project in due course and it will have its own thread on here to cover the build.

Guest ShildonShunter

Luke really nice work on your 16ton wagon kit it looks great. Can I ask Luke which kit is it as the wagon will be ideal for my cakebox I'm currently modelling.:)

Having just read through this entire thread, I'm in love with this layout. The attention to detail is amazing, I hope you have a great time on your at pickering. 

Also, what are you using for coal?, I'm in the planning stages for a colliery box file as my summer project and am curious as what other poeple are using for scale coal

Luke really nice work on your 16ton wagon kit it looks great. Can I ask Luke which kit is it as the wagon will be ideal for my cakebox I'm currently modelling.:)

Hi Kevin, the kit is a Dapol one. They are cheap and widely available from lots of suppliers. The kit includes couplings and metal wheel for the wagon which is an added bonus.

Having just read through this entire thread, I'm in love with this layout. The attention to detail is amazing, I hope you have a great time on your at pickering.

Also, what are you using for coal?, I'm in the planning stages for a colliery box file as my summer project and am curious as what other poeple are using for scale coal

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner. For the coal I have used real coal crushed and sieved to size. The lumps of coal on my layout which go down the loader chute are 1 to 2 mm long/wide depending the way you look at it.

Hello Luke, 

It's jamie from the club here :). I never realised you had an account on here.  Great progress on the layout mate and hope all went well in your exams. i may have a engine or two you can have to visit for the weekend if you like.

catch up at the club mate, and keep up the great work mate.

Regards 

Jamie  

Hello Luke,

It's jamie from the club here :). I never realised you had an account on here. Great progress on the layout mate and hope all went well in your exams. i may have a engine or two you can have to visit for the weekend if you like.

catch up at the club mate, and keep up the great work mate.

Regards

Jamie

Hi Jamie, like wise I didnt realise you had an acoount here. I've made threads of all my recent builds on here. I used to do a lot of youtube but the editing took longer than simply posting something on here so i mostly feature all my modelling on here with the odd youtube vid here and there. About the loco, this layout will be at the Pickering show if you want to come and lend a hand exhibiting it (if you're not tied up with another layout for the whole weekend) and bring some stock with you that would be pretty good. :) The layout can run dcc or dc so there shouldn't be any problems like that. Cheers. :)

Let there be light! And so the lighting rig was summoned by Luke to the rear of Cronton colliery sheds micro layout. As the lighting rig was plugged in what was darkness was now light and it will be light even in the darkest of exhibition halls. Well to cut a long story short the seller that i bought the 12v power supply from has decided to give me a "partial refund" instead of a replacement part which is problematic as I dont want to buy a lot of connectors so instead I have chopped up some old electrical bits from the garage and got myself a 12v adapter converter thingy. The problem was with the power supply itself but the female plug which the power adapter pushes into. Now I have a fully operational lighting rig which was one of the last things I wanted to add to this layout before its debut exhibition in august. Currently im just using one strip of warm white leds which gives quite a nice colour. It doesn't need to illuminate the layout in the full but just lift the colours and shadowed areas in a dim lot exhibition hall. It should also make the layout more photographic so another photo shoot may be on its way...... Anyway, here are some pictures of it and a picture of what the lighting is like for taking photos. Its nothing brilliant at the moment as I'm just taking quick snaps on my phone (its a nokia so lets be honest its not the best ;) )post-32204-0-86316200-1530129183_thumb.jpgpost-32204-0-91819500-1530129198_thumb.jpgpost-32204-0-43744800-1530129223_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The layouts first outing is this weekend (18/19) at the Pickering model railway exhibition. As a member of the Scarborough district railway modellers (exhibition hosts) I feel very proud to be able to exhibit Cronton Colliery sheds there. So, in preparation I have taken the layout off its shelf and cleaned the track to test it. So far so good!post-32204-0-02469200-1534108337_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Guest Saltburn

Luke just caught up reading about this wonderful Little layout you have modelled. I like how you have captured the dellapodated look to the buildings and the weathering and foliage is really good. Your lighting rig works really well also Luke.;)

Edited by Saltburn

Luke just caught up reading about this wonderful Little layout you have modelled. I like how you have captured the dellapodated look to the buildings and the weathering and foliage is really good. Your lighting rig works really well also Luke.;)

Thanks Saltburn. Hopefully the shunters will run as well as the layout looks at the exhibition. I've never completed a working running session with the coaling tower in operation so I'm hoping that any coal dust won't clog up the locos and dirty the track.

post-6265-0-25187200-1534183775_thumb.jpg

Hi Luke,

Hope you had a good weekend at Pickering show, it's a while since I've managed to visit that particular exhibition, my In-Laws used to live in Potter Hill, so we used to get over to N. Yorks quite frequently.

Have you tried using a photocopy for the back scene? I have attached a snap of one I did for a colliery layout I was building, adjusting the fade on the final printing gives it a distant look.

Keep up the good work, fan of both your layouts.

Ian B

IMG_0760.JPG

Hi Luke,

Hope you had a good weekend at Pickering show, it's a while since I've managed to visit that particular exhibition, my In-Laws used to live in Potter Hill, so we used to get over to N. Yorks quite frequently.

Have you tried using a photocopy for the back scene? I have attached a snap of one I did for a colliery layout I was building, adjusting the fade on the final printing gives it a distant look.

Keep up the good work, fan of both your layouts.

Ian B

I haven't tried using a photocopy but it looks really good on your layout! For my backscene I airbrushed it a light blue colour. With your method you get a real sense of depth and you've done a very good job to match the brick colour perfectly.