To stimulate discussion, post photos and exchange ideas, and (being an open public forum) help encourage others to try S scale modelling.

Can I really start in S scale?

Martync

I've looked at S scale for a long time and it seems an ideal "size". Can an average (stress - average!) modeller do anything in this scale. I see there are etches for a Y8 on the S Scale Soc website, but could that be built by the "average modeller"? I'd like to have a go, but what support is there??

• RMweb Gold

If you are prepared to learn by making mistakes, then everything is possible, but it is no more difficult to build a Y7 in S as in 4mm scale, and it requires the same tools and techniques.

In terms of support, there is the S Scale MRS, which exists specifically to support those with an interest in the scale. As well as parts, the Gazette comes out 6 times a year, and we usually have two meetings, too. After that, it’s about making contact with people yourself.

Membership provides access to an on-line archive of Gazettes, which is worth it in itself: lots and lots of interesting articles of the type that even MRJ is unlikely to publish!

• RMweb Gold

I too have been tempted by S but never got there.

So long as you are happy building stuff in 4mm scale, including track, S is not going to be any more difficult.

Alan Gibson did quite a lot of stuff for S, mainly Midland prototype. Allan Doherty (Worsley Works) will rescale most of his kits if asked.

• 2 weeks later...