BR(W) Train reporting numbers.

Jon Fitness

Hi Folks,

Can anyone tell me about the large reporting numbers on the front of BR(W) trains? Is there a list available of the destinations they refer to? Is there a font available for making my own on the computer?

Cheers

Jon F.

Guest dilbert

A synopsis ...

White 16" figures on a black background ... font ???

Introduced in 1934 :

- the first digit represented the starting point

- digits two and three represented the train number

Normal trains had a third digit of 0 or 5 - numbers 1 thru 4 and 6 thru 9 were reserved for trains that were run in more than one part.

GWR Allocations :

100-199 : Paddington

200-299 : Shrewsbury

300-399 : Birmingham and Wolverhampton

400-499 : Bristol

500-599 : Exeter

600-699 : Plymouth

700-799 : South Wales

0XX : Specials and Boat Trains

...dilbert

The synopsis given by Dilbert was changed with effect from the winter 1958-59 timetable so that the first digit indicated the destination of the train: 0 and 1 London, 2 Bristol and the Southern, 3 Torbay, 4 Plymouth and beyond, 5 Gloucester/Newport, 6 Cardiff, 7 Swansea and West Wales, 8 Birmingham/Wolverhampton, 9 Shrewsbury. It was changed again in the summer 1960 timetable as the 4-character headcode system was introduced!

Chris

The synopsis given by Dilbert was changed with effect from the winter 1958-59 timetable so that the first digit indicated the destination of the train: 0 and 1 London, 2 Bristol and the Southern, 3 Torbay, 4 Plymouth and beyond, 5 Gloucester/Newport, 6 Cardiff, 7 Swansea and West Wales, 8 Birmingham/Wolverhampton, 9 Shrewsbury. It was changed again in the summer 1960 timetable as the 4-character headcode system was introduced!

Chris

Aha! that explains the pics I've seen of the Cambrian Coast Express with 917 on the front.

Cheers

JF

fox transfers do a pack for these Ive recently bought a pack, just waiting for the triple reporting panels and brackets from JLTRT.

From 1960 the 4 charachter headcode was brouht in and the number usually had a letter in front

The Red Dragon was 720 through the 50s then 066 031 then A35 check pics of your chosen time frame to get the right one

Many thanks for that. I may have found a font that is very close to original so I'll post up the results when I've made some up. Having looked through a few more books I've seen a few odd sized numerals and some very home made looking letters added when the change-over was happening. Could be quite an interesting subject. I'll have to sort out what the Birkenhead -Paddingtons were as my friend Steve has quite an interest in the Chester Area.

Cheers

Jon F.

• 1 year later...

It was changed again in the summer 1960 timetable as the 4-character headcode system was introduced!

Chris

So presumably all steam hauled passenger trains have an "invisible" 1 omitted as they seem to be in the format "A93" "F44" "V89" etc. from summer 1960 onwards ?

I suppose these three character codes must have progressively disappeared from 1962/3(West Country?) through to about 1965 as steam was eliminated from mainline passenger work.

Would the relatively rare chalk or whitewashed versions of reporting numbers be indicative of a shortage of suitable equipment or unexpected use of a substitute steam locomotive?

Thanks in advance for any further clarification/correction of the above

Chris

Many thanks for this information. I hadn't realised that there had been a change in 1958/59. I have a number of undated negatives from the late fifties - that'll help give me an approximate date for many of them. Of course the presence of the reporting numbers and frame means it's usually impossible to identify the loco from the smokebox numberplate!!

So presumably all steam hauled passenger trains have an "invisible" 1 omitted as they seem to be in the format "A93" "F44" "V89" etc. from summer 1960 onwards ?

Yes, there's plenty of photographic proof of this happening. There must have been a rush to produce loads of As, Bs, Cs, Ms and Vs!

Incidentally, I believe David Geen has the frames and brackets listed as a kit although whether or not they're available yet I couldn't say.

• RMweb Gold

I suppose these three character codes must have progressively disappeared from 1962/3(West Country?) through to about 1965 as steam was eliminated from mainline passenger work.

Would the relatively rare chalk or whitewashed versions of reporting numbers be indicative of a shortage of suitable equipment or unexpected use of a substitute steam locomotive?

Thanks in advance for any further clarification/correction of the above

Exactly so - the first digit of the four character headcode indicated the Class of the train and on a steam loco that would be given by the position of the lamps so all they needed to carry was the second digit alpha (destination area) and the two final numerics (individual train number in the case of Class 1 trains). So in practice there wasn't a three character code once the new system 4 character system had been introduced - just the fact that it was shown by a combination of two methods on a steam engine (and certain diesels of course).

As far as I can recall it was unusual for steam locos to carry anything beyond lamps on other than Class 1 trains - probably because there was a shortage of the large frames. Another thing to note is that occasionally locos could be seen carrying the full headcode on a small board carried on the top lamp bracket LMR style - but still correctly lamped of course. And of course chalking was used as you mentioned - possibly as much a matter of laziness (fitting the frames could be something of an awkward job) as not having suitable fittings to hand.

Yes, there's plenty of photographic proof of this happening. There must have been a rush to produce loads of As, Bs, Cs, Ms and Vs!

Perhaps they didn't quite produce enough of each as I have seen at least one photograph of an inverted "A" doing service as a "V"

Don't forget that Regional boundary changes meant that lots of trains which had been carrying an 'A' suddenly had to carry a 'V' instead.

The photograph I have in mind is a King displaying "V07" utilising an inverted "A" at Aynho Troughs with the 11.40 a.m. Birkenhead-Paddington June 1960. Presumably Birkenhead is "joint" for the purposes of this train rather than wholly Western and "A" for Paddington is irrevelant here.

Some photo's from the Bristol area in the early to mid-sixties, including some engines displaying incorrect codes owing to lack of suitable numbers/letters or disinclination to display them correctly at this relatively late stage of Western Region steam. Also included is 6847 showing a headcode for a secondary passenger, Hall 4992 displaying a chalked headcode and 7022 with the smaller code fitted the top lamp bracket.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bristolsteam/5274232698/in/set-72157625395704513

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bristolsteam/5306210391/in/set-72157625395704513

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bristolsteam/5331134984/in/set-72157625395704513

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bristolsteam/5253658065/in/set-72157625395704513

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bristolsteam/5481460447/in/set-72157625395704513

• RMweb Gold

The photograph I have in mind is a King displaying "V07" utilising an inverted "A" at Aynho Troughs with the 11.40 a.m. Birkenhead-Paddington June 1960. Presumably Birkenhead is "joint" for the purposes of this train rather than wholly Western and "A" for Paddington is irrevelant here.

Birkenhead was definitely LM by then (alas) but the 'A' for London Division might be relevant to the extent that there were plenty of those about and not many 'V's - we'll never know now I suspect. Which raises another question - all the numbers & letters seem to have vanished very rapidly at the end of steam so I wonder what happened to them as none ever seem to turn up in auctions etc

• RMweb Gold

Birkenhead was definitely LM by then (alas) but the 'A' for London Division might be relevant to the extent that there were plenty of those about and not many 'V's - we'll never know now I suspect.

And the King would never have got to Woodside....

Some photo's from the Bristol area in the early to mid-sixties, including some engines displaying incorrect codes owing to lack of suitable numbers/letters or disinclination to display them correctly at this relatively late stage of Western Region steam. Also included is 6847 showing a headcode for a secondary passenger, Hall 4992 displaying a chalked headcode and 7022 with the smaller code fitted the top lamp bracket.

Thanks for those - I feel a "cliche", involving "incorrect" reporting numbers, developing in a parallel 1:76 universe thanks to a combination of lack of suitable equipment and good old human nature in the real world.

• 1 year later...

Hi Folks,

Can anyone tell me about the large reporting numbers on the front of BR(W) trains? Is there a list available of the destinations they refer to? Is there a font available for making my own on the computer?

Cheers

Jon F.

I've only just seen this as I'm looking for the same thing myself.  I've made up '1T57' in Word using the Font 'Tw Cen MT Condensed' which is a perfect match.

• RMweb Premium

I've only just seen this as I'm looking for the same thing myself.  I've made up '1T57' in Word using the Font 'Tw Cen MT Condensed' which is a perfect match.

Interesting about the font to match BR four character headcodes thanks, but bear in mind the OP was asking about the 3 digit numbers used by the WR before the four character headcodes were introduced. I'm sure I recall an article - in Model Rail perhaps - a few years ago about making your own in OO including the stensil holder.

The last five pages of the old Ian Allen abc BR Western Region spotters book (Summer 1956 edition) has a comprehensive list of the train reporting numbers, and the time, and origin and destination of the services referred to.

Archived