Videos on Digikeijs DR5000

Video 01 - Install, Connect, Drive.

The Digikeijs DR5000 is one of the most versatile DCC command Stations currently on the market. With its wealth of connection options and multitude of data communication protocols on board, and also given it’s very fair price point, it quickly became popular in the model railroad community.

Despite its popularity there are not that much videos available on Youtube yet. It seemed like a nice idea to do a couple of videos on the DR5000.

This first video is about the software installation, connect and drive the first train. Common knowledge to all who already own one, it’s aimed at all who are not yet very familiar with the DR5000, or who maybe consider getting one.

Link to the video.

32319622cx.jpg

Edited by RudyB
  • Like 5

Hi Rudy,

You must really like making videos. 

I made a couple in the past to demonstrate something that was hard to describe in words but I really cannot say that I enjoyed making it.

Good for you - thanks from all of us.

Frederick

Hi Frederick,

Yeah, I can't say I don't like it. Maybe you too if you'd try again? :)

It must be products I feel enthusiastic about though, or I couldn't do it.

Edited by RudyB

• 3 weeks later...

Digikeijs DR5000 Video 02: Control Properties and Settings Window

This video is about the DR5000 Control Properties / Settings window and about the settings in the Drive- and Switch windows.

One of the important settings is the number of speed steps we want the DR5000 to send to our loco’s. In most cases 28 steps is a good default value, which also works fine with most layout control software like e.g. Koploper, iTrain or Traincontroller. Unless maybe the majority of your loco’s is equipped with 14 step decoders, then of course 14 steps would be the obvious default.

Once the default is set, then in the ‘Loco Speed Steps Table’ we only need to fill in the loco’s that differ from the default. Personally I always stay away from 128 speed steps … to my eyes it does not render a visibly better driving behavior, while it drastically increases (and maybe could clog?) data traffic on the communication lines and DCC.

Link to the video

32516484vt.jpg

I watched your video with interest and was trying to see what feedback modules you were using

I am now ready to order my command system
at the moment i have itrain installed, track in place and wired for current drop detection ( 2 rail ) and no other equipment so free to choose what ever is most suitable.
I will be going with the DR5000-ADJ DCC Multi-bus central which has a power supply and usb cable but cant work out for sure what else I need for current drop detection from Digikeijs i think i need the following
i will be using 60 points so i was going to purchase 2

DR4088LN-CS_BOX LocoNet Complete Starter Kit with 32 reporting points which contains
1x DR4088LN-CS
1x DR4088CS
1x DR60890 L.NET cable 1 meter
1x DR60881 STP cable 1 meter

my other query is i have 2 reverse loops both use a reverse loop module so dont think i can use current drop method I was thinking of using 2 optical sesors on each loop but again dont know which module i should get for that.

have tried contacting Digikeijs but there is no phone number and have yet had no reply from a sales ticket

any advise would be welome

Hi,

Digikeijs has (or will have) a module for handling reverse loops that includes detection that is compatible with the DR4088 family.

https://www.digikeijs.com/dr410-digitale-keerlus-module.html

Perhaps you could find out if this unit is available.

If you have any interest in RailCom you might consider this in place of the DR4088 units:

https://www.digikeijs.com/dr5088rc-digidetect.html

As to what Digikeijs module you would need for IR sensors that would depend on the IR sensor used.

Frederick

If you do decide to go down the Railcom route (which is especially useful in automation) then use this reversing unit because it passes the Railcom signal but most importantly can be placed AFTER the detector unit which means you do not lose any channels.

https://dcctrainautomation.co.uk/ls-digital/4385-ls-digital-reverse-loop-modual-5410

Most reverse units need to placed before the feedback detection because the consume current which therefore shows the block as permanently occupied - the net effect is that for one reverse section you can end up ‘wasting’ 15 detectors.

AUTO REVERSING does not NEED any current detection OR to have a momentary Short Circuit IF a 'pre-sense' detector desing is used !

INSTEAD of waiting for a metal wheel to cross the gap, and create a high short-circuit current because they are at opposite polarities - where that high-current is then used to swap the phases of the (reversing part) of the track, allowing the short to disappear, and the train to continue (until the next rail break / sensor)

LDT do a module in kit or ready built format, and for larger scales, both LGB and Massoth make them.

The sense-sections can be just a few cm long, OR can be totally separate from the track/rails: using optical or treadle contacts .. as long as they detect on the approach to the track break ... they sense the presence, and if required, change the phase of the section ahead.

Therefore for a 2-way auto reversing section, 4 sensor positions are required (1 either side of each break)

The design/concept is equally suited to Y junctions - the same proviso common to all Auto-Reverse sections is that the TOTAL length of the metal-wheeled train MUST be inside the breaks when it is clear of the 'entry' snesor/break and then triggers the exit sensor.

Unfortunately the LDT solution doesnt work with layoputs that have feedback detection using the devices listed earlier as they are current sensing and the LDT unit draws sufficient current for the block to show occupied irrespective of whether it is occupied or not :(

The LS Digital unit is the only one I have found that doesn't show the block as occupied when the reality is that the block is empty.

Unfortunately the LDT solution doesn't work with layouts that have feedback detection using the devices listed earlier as they are current sensing and the LDT unit draws sufficient current for the block to show occupied irrespective of whether it is occupied or not :(

The LS Digital unit is the only one I have found that doesn't show the block as occupied when the reality is that the block is empty.

Not all of the layout needs to have continuous current sensing - a 'bypass feed'  could be used to the immediate sensing  and reverse sections (and the sensing method does NOT HAVE TO BE  part of the track  - it could be optical or treadle as I mentioned earlier)

You should still be able to have full path monitoring with sensors near either end of the AR section - just as with '2 sensors' for a station platform occupation. 

@steveheat: I use Arduino's with self written code for all my DCC (servo / accessory) decoders and for S88 sensor feedback modules. These are 10% of the price of commercial units and they work just as well. All info can be found on my blog: rudysmodelrailway.

For complete DIY packages with all the software and shipped at costprice + shipping, you could have a look at the ARCOMORA website.

It is very well possible to use current sensing with a reverse loop.

• 1 month later...

Digikeijs DR5000 04 Connect to a Network via a Router

Video 04 on the Digikeijs DR5000 is out. It’s about how to connect to your home network via a router. The reason to do this is if your DR5000 is further than 5m away from your PC, the maximum length for a USB cable.

Link to the video.

32882080oi.jpg

Edited by RudyB

Digikeijs DR5000 03 Connect Phone / Tablet to WiFi and use the Z21 app

Oops … for some reason Digikeijs DR5000 video 3 never got posted here … Altzheimer?

Here it is yet. It’s about how to connect to WiFi and use the Z21 app on your phone or tablet.

Link to the video.

32890014eo.jpg

• Like 1

Rudy many thanks for the very informative videos!!! Well done! I would very much appreciate your input if you got experience on the following subject following up the Z21/Dr5000 video:

I was wondering if the DR5000 when used with the Z21 app (and/or the Wifi-Multimaus), can do all the things that the Z21/z21 can do. In particular, making up consists (MU), programming locos and speedmatching locos (with the Z21 you time the locos over a lap and the Z21 does the speedmatching automatically based on the times recorded).

Thanks again

Yannis

Yannis, it is the App that is doing the speed matching, etc - not the control unit therefore simly using the Z21 app will give you this functionality with the DR5000.

DR5000 is an excellent bit of kit at a good price however I chos ethe actual Z21 as I was concerned about Roco closing the door on Digikeijs and preventing them from being able to access the protocol thus leaving yoiu with a control unit and no throttle :(

Iain thank you very much for the Z21/DR5000 info. Very helpful in combination with Rudy's video.

OT: You got me concerned now with the "closing up the app" possibility (i don't know how probable/likely this is though...) since i am between the z21start and the DR5000.

I have absolutely no information to suggest that Roco will ‘close down the app’ however it is a commercial application (supplied for free) that is designed for use with the Roco z/Z21 and not with the Digikeijs DR5000.

If the sales of the z/Z21 were to suffer due to purchase of the DR5000 which is very similar in capability to the Z21 or if they decided to implement new functions in the app that were only supported by the z/Z21 then the use of the app with the DR5000 would be stopped at worst, at best you could be left with an app that get further and further out of date as you refused upgrades to the latest version. This might not be such a big issue on Android as IOS but there is a potential for operatabiltily issues.

You need to consider your appetite for the risk versus cost as the z21 has a limited feature set compared to either the Z21 or the DR5000.

But to be clear, there is nothing to say that Roco will close any door but they could and there isn’t any sign yet of the rumoured Digikeijs throttle

Gotcha Iain! Both the DR5000 and the Z21 are indeed very good pieces of kit! (still learning about them hence my questions, small personal preference so far from what i read towards the Z21 since i do appreciate that one can update the Z21 w/o using a PC).

As to "closing down" the app: Since the DR5000 is emulating a Z21 for this purpose I don't see how Roco could prevent using the app with the DR5000, aside from a legal challenge.

Frederick

Do you actually know that Digikeijs is emulating the z21? I don't think that is the way it works since if it was an emulation then you should be able to connect the Z21 Maintenance Programme to it - you cant.

It is more probably that they are simply interpreting and transcoding the Roco protocol into the internal DR protocol used by the DR5000 - but I don't actually know if either of these is the case, it could even be that they have licenced the protocol from Roco, again I don't know if that is the case - do you?

What I do know is that it is very easy to stop someone interpreting your protocol and even easier to stop someone emulating your code.

Think of Apple - they have Bluetooth on iOS but only Bluetooth devices that have been approved by Apple and which pay for the rights to connect are able to connect to iOS devices and the Bluetooth protocol is much more widely known, copied and interpreted than that used by Roco for the z/Z21.

Hi,

Emulation is commonly done by interpreting another protocol and "translating" the results to control the target hardware.

As to Bluetooth that is a legal issue not a technical one. 

Frederick