An SR layout

BASINGSTOKE  1958-67

INTRODUCTION.

"Basingstoke" will be a rather large layout, as seen in the accompanying Baseboard Plan, 87ft long by 24ft wide, built to exhibition standards. When complete, it is destined to be on virtual permanent display at the Mora La Nova Railway Centre and Museum in Southern Catalonia, Spain.  

Above: The layout Baseboard plan, showing the location of stations and other interesting items.

Construction of the layout will utilise baseboards each 6ft 6in long to various widths. All constructed using Marine Plywood, a wood intended to resist damp and warpage.

Track standards to be used:

Because of its large size, it will not be possible to build the layout to EM or P4 standards. So a mix of Peco code 75 Flatbottom track, and SMP code 75 Bullhead track will be utilised. However except in the Fiddle Yard, Scratchbuilt points will have to be used, as the only way to replicate the real life pointwork to virtual real life size. This introduces the problem of curvature. It is understood that the sharper the curves utilised on a model layout, the more haulage and running problems are likely to occur. So a MINIMUM radius of 5ft had been selected.    

Actual area covered;

The actual REAL LIFE area to be modelled will stretch from Hook Station (the station before Basingstoke and one stop nearer to London Waterloo). Basingstoke station itself, complete with its three Goods Yards, Carriage sidings and Locomotive shed. The 4 track mainline will continue to Worting Junction with its well know "Battledown Flyover" a couple of miles to the south of Basingstoke. Beyond the Junction there will just be room for Oakley Station (The first station on the line to Salisbury), and the climb up from Worting to Lichfield and Popham No1 tunnel on the Southampton line. Also included will be part of the Basingstoke to Reading Inter-Regional line. All these features actually cover a distance of around six miles. The layout will have to compress this a little, by cutting out some of the less interesting plain line sections, but will still be a scale 3.125 miles, of route.   

Gradients and Fiddle Yard:

Because of Battledown Flyover, this will introduce gradients to the layout. None of the gradients will be any steeper than in real life. Indeed the real life 1 in 90 from Worting Junction to Lichfield tunnel is actually reduced to 1 in 100, and this will be the steepest gradient on the layout. The result of the gradients means a complex two tier Fiddle Yard, with 38 sidings, long enough for a Locomotive and 13 car trains. As well as 2 short terminating sidings for Basingstoke to Reading locals.  

Scenery:

Building a layout of such a large and busy 4 track mainline with all the other parts already mentioned. Means that the scenery cannot stretch much beyond the lineside fence in many places. This however will prove to be a minor advantage as it will avoid the problem of large structures blocking the panorama presented to the viewer, mainly around Basingstoke station. Much of the scenery in the period was otherwise quite rural. Indeed one of the main reasons for building such a layout, is to try and highlight the intensive train service on this line on Summer Saturdays during the period modelled. So operation is intended to be the most important feature of the layout. 

Stock variety:

The Period modelled which is the last ten years of Southern Steam, will however allow incorporation of Diesel and 3rd rail Electric traction. Along with the large variety of Inter-regional traffic from the Reading direction, including ex GWR and LMS types. This will hugely and legitimately increase the possible range of stock to be utilised. To maximise entertainment value. The large variety realistically possible, being one of the most important reasons for choosing to build Basingstoke in the first place.

Operation and signalling:

The complexity of the vast array of stock needed, and the necessity for a number of operators to keep the trains moving. Will require a sophisticated method of operation if it is all to function consistently and reliably. So operators will follow one of ten "Card sequences" one for each Summer Saturday 1958-67, operated in cronological order. 

Operation will involve fully functioning signalling. Both Multi-aspect colour light, and semaphore, using real life style "Track Circuits" in the track, to control the signalling in the same way as their real life counterparts. Operators will therefore also have to set up routes in a real life manner, on the control panels. Which will be based loosely on the electro-mechanical signalboxes of the day, well known for their "Art Nouveau" style.    

This new layout is actually my second attempt to build Basingstoke in OO. The first attempt was cut short, by problems with sub zero temperatures, as it was being built in a house I owned in the German Harz Mountains. So the new Mk2 layout is now being built in Spain, where hopefully it won't be frozen, or boiled....

Above: My Hampshire 2H a modified "DC kits" model, seen on the Mk1 layout, which will be extended to a 3H on the new layout. These units began appearing around Basingsoke from 1958. 

Edited by 71000
  • Like 1

BASINGSTOKE  1958-67

"Battledown Flyover" at Worting Junction.

Actual layout construction is due to start shortly once access the the "Workshop" being provided by the Museum is ready.

So, while I wait for the workshop, I am starting by preparing one of the major features for the layout. Namely constructing Battledown flyover, which on the Mk1 version of my layout built in Germany got thrown in the bin due to a few feet short on space.

For those who haven't heard of "Battledown Flyover", it is located at Worting Junction. Just to the south-west of Basingstoke station and marks the point where the line to Salisbury & Exeter, diverges from the Southampton - Bournemouth - Weymouth route. It is fairly well known to train spotters as a good photographic point, so many of you may have seen pictures of the real location, but I'm including another photo below taken from an adjoining Farmers field. 

Above: Battledown flyover as seen from the East or London side. The two tracks to Salisbury sweeping under the flyover. The Down Southampton track in the foreground, with the Up Southampton track passing over the flyover. The picture thought to be taken post 1990 due to the modern "Whistle" (W) board just under the flyover for a footcrossing around 500yds further on. Note the canted or banked track of the Salisbury line, which reduced speed to around 50mph through this curve.

First I decided I would need some OO/4mm scale drawings to use as a template, in a similar manner to building balsa wood aeroplanes. These I scanned so I could churn out more copies later if I destroyed the first ones carving up bits of plasticard on them to the right sizes !  

Because the angle of the model Salisbury line tracks, passing beneath the flyover will be a couple of degrees different from the original, I deleted one (central) lattice "N" girder section from the length of the two main arched girders making the model 35mm shorter than it should be. It still means the Salisbury line tracks will be on a 6ft curve passing beneath rather than a real life scale 7ft 6in. Not that I feel that this slight length reduction is noticeable having basically now completed the model. 

Building all the little vertical girders of each "N" section was rather fiddly, and fragile until the top was finally glued on. The 7 central "N" sections also have 3 metal bracing rods between each pair of diagonal bracing plates. This meant drilling 0.4mm holes for 0.4mm brass rod which I superglued in place, so that it actually gives some more strength to these thin diagonal bracing plates. Finally I added the 6 x 10mm rivetted plates which cover joins in the main structure. This is because the whole bridge was actually built up on site (in 1897, which makes it now 119 years old) and only the relatively small vertical girders and the small girders under the decking were brought in ready made. To get rivets I simply used the 0.4mm drill to make holes through the "riveted plates" before glueing them to the sides of the main girders. Once the bridge was spray painted (the main girders being in a light grey) these tiny holes look very much like rivets.       

The parts to construct the bridge were made in the following thicknesses.

The base decking section to support the tracks is 2mm thick plasticard. 

The vertical "H" section girders I hand made in 0.35mm plasticard.

The diagonal strapping braces are also made in 0.35mm plasticard.

The exterior and interior plating one horizontal along the base and one curved along the upper edge of main girders was made in 0.35mm plasticard.

The curved main girder tops are made in 1mm plasticard.

Riveted plates are 6mm by 10mm in 0.25mm thick plasticard, with 0.4mm drilled holes to represent rivets. I installed 8 or 9 of these riveted plates onto both the side platting (exterior and interior) and to the top of the main girders at every other junction with the vertical girders. Finally under the decking I used "Plastruct" ready made 4mm "H" section girders, as I wanted these little girders to actually help strengthen the decking floor, so ready made ones are stronger than if I had made them up.      

Just to wet your appetite a few photos of the model under construction below:

Above: The girders under construction on the 2mm thick baseplate, with a Hornby Pullman from my Bournemouth Belle rake suitably positioned to give a clearer idea of the overall scale and size.

Above: End view, with the right hand girder virtually complete, and the left hand girder almost half built. Note also to the right of the loose piece of Peco track, the planked walkway, and the signal troughing (a pipe) and its terminal box where the cabling would go back into the normal concrete ground troughing.  

Above:The underside of the whole bridge at the start of spray painting, along with one of the diagonal support walls in the background seen from its rear. This revelas the complex pattern of girders that support the real life decking. I used ready made girders rather than build them up in plasticard. The ready made variety being stronger, so doing for the model, just what the real life ones did, and support my heavy locomotives. As, particularly diesel or electric loco models can weigh in at up to 550g, that's over half a Kilo !!!

Above: The bridge perched on its supporting walls, which also reveal the plasticard strengthening of these supporting structures, again necessary for the weight of your heaviest locomotive.

BASINGSTOKE  1958-67

Correcting the Hornby 4VEP main faults !

I debated whether to even buy the Hornby 4VEP, already knowing the ghastly mistakes made in production of this model. The serious and silly errors on this model were of course a result of the chaos Hornby were in, having been booted out of the plant they had been using for production. They were forced up the road to the only other modern plant capable of producing models to the standards Hornby had come to expect, namely the new German Piko companies plant, over the border in red China. The trials and tribulations of this enforced move being the main reasons for serious delays in production which have it seems compounded their problems to date, and resulted in the major contraction of Hornby's business as noted in recent mainstream press releases.

The major and visual faults with the 4VEP are of course the lack of internal windows and doors in the First class corridor sections of both the Driving trailers, and the fact the motor was placed in the central MBS amongst the seating rather than in the Guards van area where it would be almost invisible. Lesser problems involved the none to well designed bogies, and minor issues with the cab fronts.

However as I really need a 4VEP of the original batch of twenty units (numbered 7701-7720) introduced as part of the Bournemouth line electrification in 1967, the ladies at Buffers persuaded me to buy the model with a cup of tea.

Having got the model back to Spain where I'm currently located, I immediately set to by totally dismantlng the model.

Above: Cutting out the missing windows and doors in the First class corridor section of the Driving Trailer Composites (DTC's).

Step 1: Mark out and cut the missing internal windows on the internal compartment walls. As I have no detailed plans of these units I had to work mainly from a few photos and my own memory as I used to drive these units when I was a Guildford driver in the 1990's.

Above: As supplied the interior of the cab is laid out as if the unit is coupled to another. This means on the model that you cannot see through the cab, or really into it, due to the lack of light. The interior wall was therefore removed.   

Step 2: The motor positioning problem. I found on carefully examining the model that there were clear indications that the design had indeed originally intended the motor to be hidden in the brake area. This greatly assisted in correcting this fault which basically resulted in the chassis being simply turned around, and all the seating being altered to suit.

Above: The DTC after alteration. Now revealing the interior compartment wall with windows and doors which makes a huge visual difference and of course allows light right through the vehicle. 

Step 3: As I do not use DCC, and I do not like interior lighting, which under BR rules were not to be switched on in daylight hours until 1978 when the rules had to be changed to allow Guards to check tickets. I therefore removed virtually everything relating to these parts. This was I felt also necessary because the design of the flexi-couplings on this model also had design faults. The flexi-couplings did not slide from side to side without ocassional snatching which on my model at least tried to tip vehicles off the track on bends. This problem meant I had to modify the couplings at the expense of the inter-vehicle pick-up system, so the lighting & DCC system, had to go for this reason alone.

Above: The Motor Brake Second (MBS) after turning the chassis around so that the model motor is hidden within the Guards van area. Removal of all the DCC parts has also allowed more light in the Guards compartment area.

My modification to the couplings resulted in the 2 jaws on the coupling ends having to be removed and in place I fitted 1mm brass hook and eye type couplings. This alteration now allowed the remaining part of these couplings to work as designed and slide from side to side. It also allowed me to close up the gap between vehicles, which despite having flexi-couplings still positioned adjacent vehicles a few millimetres apart. Having closed up the gaps so that the corridor connections virtually touch, probably still allows vehicles to negotiate curves down to around 3ft 6in radius. I have a minimum radii of 5ft for Basingstoke, which allows virtually all models and particularly corridor coaches to have their corridor connections virtually touching.

Above: The MBS after reassembly, with the motor now hidden in the Guards van area. Not also that the window to the left of the Guards door has had the orange curtain removed, as curtains were not provided here due to the door between the saloon and Guards van. Passengers moving through this area would have caught a curtain if provided and probably ripped it off its rail as they passed!   

Step 4: was dealing with a couple of minor problems in the cab design. Hornby's instructions had intended the headcodes provided to be stuck on the outside. Investigation internally revealed that the designer it seems had intended for headcodes to be put correctly inside, but this required certain internal parts that had been glued together to be unglued first. As suitable headcodes for a Waterloo-Southampton-Bournemouth stopping train were not provided I simply produced these on my computer, so the unit now displays a correct 93 headcode at one end and red blinds at the opposite end.

This does cause a minor modelling dilema as SR EMU's from the 1951 EPB design onwards were allowed to dispense with the tail lamp from around 1965, and rely on red blinds at the rear, whilst on the SR. (The WR at Exeter went potty when 4TC/Class 33 stock arrived in such a condition, instead insisting on tail lamps !!) This means of course that the model has to have red blinds at one end, and therefore looks daft if it runs with red blinds at the front end. The only practical but costly solution is to have 2 units one for each direction. Pre 1951 EPB stock such as the Hornby 2HAL and 2BIL can get away with headcodes at both ends although officially they were supposed to be removed at the rear, but in reality often were not. The only problem then, is do you fit a tail lamp, or just forget it ??? Incidentally a number of Japanese N gauge EMU models come with illuminated rotating headcodes (up to a choice of 6) so maybe someone should tell Hornby/Bachmann of this possibility.                     

Above. One of the cab fronts, with a 93 (Waterloo-Bournemouth stopping service) headcode correctly fitted behind the glass. Buffers now in the correct retracted position for a buckeye coupling fitted train, and a model working Kadee buckeye also fitted. Note also a lot more light inside the cab ! 

Step 5: Off course having altered the inter-vehicle couplings which removed the wiring, meant that as Hornby's system relied on the motor coach pick-ups alone, I could not use that system to illuminate the headcode panels. This introduces the problem of the bogies. To be honest the bogie design looks like a ghastly old fashioned pre-China product, so I decided rather than fit pick-ups to these bogies I would have to change them all for something better, probably on my next trip to Britain. So fitting pick-up will have to wait.      

Above: The other cab end with "red tailshades" fitted from inside. From about 1962, EMU's were allowed to dispense with a taillamp on condition that they were of a design that had battery power for at least 24hours. This effectively meant all types from the EPB design of 1951. This rule however only applied on the Southern Region, and caused some problems when TC stock was worked between Salisbury and Exeter, which had been transferred to the Western Region ! 

Step 6: Certain parts including the seating and the interior ceiling I repainted. I also added the first class anti-macassers which are clearly noticeable inside and make a reasonable visual impact as the model passes the viewer. Another minor fault of the Hornby model was the inclusion of the orange curtains on 2nd class saloon windows next to the gangway doors to the first class corridor. These I removed by very carefully scratching them off with a fresh scalpel blade.  

The last item needing correction is the unit number, but as I really need to repaint the whole unit in the original semi-matt blue finish and at the same time get rid of the all over yellow cab fronts for a small yellow warning panel, that too will have to wait until my next shopping spree to Britain as I need the matt blue paint amongst a number of other things.

• Like 1

BASINGSTOKE 1958-67

A WILLS Kit T9 4-4-0 brought up to modern levels of detail.

At the Taunton show last September (2015) I found a couple of unwanted made up Wills kits of SR T9 4-4-0's  on Ray Heards large second hand stall. Presumably due to the arrival of the very well detailed Hornby offering of these classic locos, the owner had traded them in. As they were going at a bargain price, and knowing I can do things to such models I bought the pair.

Both had been assembled and painted without any modifications to these old basic kits, and by comparison with the Hornby offering looked rather bare and devoid of detail. I would also guess that the previous owner had not built them as they exhibited slightly different methods of assembly, although both had been assembled correctly, and the only mistake was that they had both been numbered as narrow cab/splasher variants, although they are of the wide cab/splasher type. In addition one model had been weathered in an attempt to disguise the fact that it had not been lined out. 

Operationally these heavy white metal kits have the potential to outperform the modern Hornby loco on pulling power, especially as both had been fitted with the old X04 3 pole chunky motor dating from the early 1970's. The models had however only been wired for pick-up via the four driving wheels, so at any speed less than fairly fast became erratic runners.

The task was therefore to add as much of the missing detail as possible, correct the tender chassis design which had been made with two bogies, instead of a rigid chassis, obviously to allow the models to negotiate obscenely sharp curves only found on tramways !! Fit pick up's to the corrected chassis and repaint, line out and renumber them correctly.

The first picture below shows the  unlined loco in the early stages of detailing, with the vacuum pipe now fitted along the underside of the running plate, the missing pipework between the cab and whistle, and the lubrication pipe from the cab to an inside cylinder, which runs along the side of the firebox under a cover, represented by the white plasticard strip.  Another identical pipe being on the other side of the boiler. Front lamp brackets have also been fitted. Also the snifting valves either side of the chimney have been removed as these were removed from the real locos between 1947-50. This picture also reveals the incorrect tender chassis with bogies.       

The second picture below, reveals the tender at a later stage. Firstly the tender chassis has been modified. The bogies have been made rigid by first removing the upper part of each bogie and replacing this with strips of plasticard the length of the chassis, to which they were superglued. The original bogie pivots (a brass screw with nut) were retained so that the now one piece chassis can still be removed from the bodyshell should this be necessary.

Wires from the loco to tender are also now apparent, and careful examination of the photo will reveal the wire passing through a brass wire hoop almost hidden by the tender footstep. This is to ensure that the wires do not interfere with the way the tender follows the engine, a problem encountered with the four wires on the Hornby models which required their tenders to be weighted more (I have three Hornby T9's already). Again careful examination of the photo will reveal the pick-ups to the wheels just rubbing on the top right hand side of the wheel treads. This positioning was felt necessary, as there was insufficient space between the wheels and the chassis, because the wheels must have sideways play as they are no longer able to rotate in the bogies originally provided.    

Further detailing of the tender includes the fire iron hoops added either side of the tool boxes, and rear lamp brackets, all made from brass wire or strip. At the rear of the chassis the missing vacuum tank reservoir and pipework is also now present. This tank was also used to mount the Kadee buckeye type coupling, by simply cutting a slot in the plastic tube used to make the tank.  The tender has of course in this photo already been sprayed in Halfords matt black, and lined out, although the lining and BR late logo will need toneing down as they are too shiny.

The third picture below, reveals the whole loco, with the loco itself in the process of lining using HMRS pressfix transfers. A fallplate between loco and tender is also now in place. Not so apparent is the problem of the cab interior. The original Wills kit provides no covers for the rear driving wheels within the cab and so are visible. In reality the wheels were covered by boxes which also doubled as seats. These were made up in plasticard and so the driving wheels are now hidden correctly. Brake gear has also been now fitted to the loco driving wheels and the injector equipment between the two driving wheels.

The loco has been test run in the condition seen and after oiling the motor worm gear, bearings and the drive cog, with a specialist oil designed for small 12v DC motors, now runs as well as my Hornby examples, and as suspected will haul a little more, approximately 40% more, than their Hornby counterparts in fact. Or more precisely 10 Hornby Maunsells against 7 for my Hornby locos.

This was more just a fun project for me, as I didn't really need any more T9's. They will probably end up posing in the loco shed, and act as reserves. Although I have just stumbled on a photo of two T9's hauling a troop train of 12 coaches just South of Basingstoke, in 1961. So I may have to consider fitting a Kadee to the front buffer beam of the second T9 which is still awaiting the detailing process. 

Above: (Picture retrospectively added July 2017) The locomotive now complete, and being tested on the first scenic section of the new Mk2 Basingstoke layout.

• Like 1

BASINGSTOKE 1958-67

Battledown Flyover completed.

Just finishing up the detail on the bridge, which includes the four "dressed" brick pillars either end of the main girders. These appear to be soley dressing as they have no connection with the actual girders at all.  

Two further pictures are included in this post. These reveal three of the brick dressing pillars one at each corner of the main girders. Three in position and the fourth under construction, some of the parts laid out on the workbench in front of the bridge.  

The bridge is virtually complete as far as the workbench is concerned. The final step is to actually mount the bridge on the relevant baseboard. It will be mounted on the 5mm cork that the track is laid on, and then the four embankment retaining walls added, after the actual embankments either end of the bridge have been cut from polystyrene blocks and glued in place.

I will post further pictures of the bridge as mounted, in a future post. In addition the complete layout plans for the whole of this very large (26metres (85ft) x 7metres (22ft 9in)) layout, will also be found in a later post.

• Like 1

BASINGSTOKE 1958-67

Construction of the Mk2 layout finally starts in ernest !

Above: The layout Baseboard plan, construction of which has now started in ernest.

Having started construction a year ago. Then been thrown out of the workshop, the local Mayor is lending me, a couple of weeks later. For a supposed six week internal refit of the building, which dragged on for 9 months ! I finally got back in on January 3rd (2017).

So with about 1 ton of Marine plywood staring me in the face, I thought I should press on, as the layout is going to be BIG. Indeed 26 metres (85ft) x 7 metres (22ft 9in).

Above: A view of progress to 12/2/17. 10 metres (33ft) of baseboards already complete. 

When complete the layout will form a rectangle. The main station (Basingstoke) with all its goods yards, carriage sidings and locomotive shed will occupy most of one side of the layout. Going clockwise from Basingstoke the next feature is Worting Junction with Battledown flyover. This being located on a corner on the far side of the layout. Here the line to Southampton diverges from the line to Salisbury. Just beyond the junction and flyover on the Salisbury line it has been possible to squeeze in the little station of Oakley with its 4 car platforms and small goods yard. Both the lines from the Junction then vanish into a large Fiddle Yard. The area of the junction and little Oakley station is the first section under construction as seen.    

Above: The area of the small Oakley station with 4 coach platforms.The basic platforms having been formed of 15mm plywood.

In the other direction from Basingstoke heading anti-clockwise (towards London) the four track mainline will pass over a low viaduct on the baseboards linking the two sides. Then on the far side Hook station will be passed before the four track mainline disappears into the Fiddle Yard. By some careful planning it has been possible to have a 36 track Fiddle Yard which will occupy only about 8 metres of this 26 metre side of the layout. 36 tracks is not possible to stretch over, so the Fiddle yard has to be built along two lines of parrallel baseboards with an 800mm space between.

Baseboards

These are being built using 15mm Marine plywood for the frames and 12mm Marine plywood for the tops. Depending on the scenery, baseboards use a part open frame system. As gradients are involved for Battledown flyover and the line towards Southampton. Which climbs slightly up to "Lichfield" tunnel. This has also allowed a partially double decked Fiddle Yard to help avoid conflicting train movements. It is these gradients (tracks ascending are at 1 in 100) which necessitated expansion of the layout to 85ft. All baseboards are 2 metres long (6ft 6in). Width varies from 850mm (32 inches) wide, to 1.5 metres (4ft 9in). Although some boards are rather large, the 2 metre length reduced the number of baseboard joins, and the number and cost of all the necessary multi-way plugs and sockets for the wiring. Plywood was chosen because deep frames are desired (minimum 75mm / 3 inches) to protect the many under baseboard electrical items such as Fulgarex point motors, relays and semaphore signalling mechanisms. Also marine plywood resists problems of damp so is unaffected by the scenic stage which involves water with ballasting and hillside construction (unlike chipboard !) Plywood is less dense than chipboard or MDF so has no problem accepting small screws, and is lighter.

Above: Battledown Flyover from the London side, with a Hornby West Country on a clearance test !

Track is laid on a fairly soft 5mm thick cork, available here in Spain in large 50 metre x 1 metre rolls at a very reasonable price. This reduces the rumbling effect of trains, and even helps reduce derailments due to its cushioning effect. The cork is glued with PVA as is the track on top of it. I never use track pins except to hold track in place while the PVA dries. Track pins increase the rumbling affect and can also cause dips in the track affecting smooth running !

Above: Battledown Flyover. Construction of this scratchbuilt structure was described in a previous post with pictures.

Track

The track used is a combination of Peco finescale, flat bottom, code 75. SMP (of Sheffield) finescale bullhead code 75, and handbuilt points on visible parts of the layout. As I had a large quantity of Peco 5ft large radius points from the Mk1 layout, these will be used in the Fiddle Yard.

The handbuilt pointwork, as in real life, allows points of any shape and radius to be constructed. The minimum radius anywhere on the layout was set at 1.6 metres (5ft). This allows real life gaps between rolling stock. Handbuilt pointwork up to 2.8 metre radius (9ft) will be needed, in particular for some of the 120kph (75mph) points at Worting Junction. The period modelled allows for Bullhead rail to be used in point construction which simplifies point building, and reduces construction time. A 5ft radius handbuilt point, as seen in the pictures below, usually takes me about 90 minutes to make, and costs about £4. A 6ft radius double slip will take around 6 hours of work but still only cost around £6. Obviously handbuilt points also have the advantage of being all metal so no dead plastic bits. Further if you glue track down and then ballast it properly, which also glues the rail in its sleepers, you don't need to buy plastic railjoiners, as you simply use a carbonundrum disc in a mini drill to cut through rail wherever you need to isolate !  

Above: A distance shot of the flyover from the Salisbury/Southampton side.

Signalling 

Although no signalling is yet fitted, this very important part of the railway has to be planned for, at this early stage of track construction. As Oakley station seen in the pictures below, will be signalled with working semaphores, and the station will be as per the original less one siding at the country end. I can use the original signalling plan as shown in the recent publication "A survey of the line from Basingstoke to Salisbury". The Southampton line and the four track section through Basingstoke will use 3 aspect colour light signalling, based on the 1966 resignalling of this line. The Reading line will keep its GWR style lower quadrants even though in reality this line was resignalled at the same time as the mainline. This is simply to increase the variety of signalling for the benefit of visitors to the Railway Museum. 

Above: An aerial view of the Flyover.

TCC a NEW system of layout control

As the layout will use a new system of wiring known as TCC (Track Circuit Control), which is based closely on the real life interaction of trains and signals. TCC has real life type electrical track circuits in the rails in addition to the supply to move the trains. This allows full interlocking between signalling, points, and trains, and hopefully will be virtually foolproof and prevent my Spanish operators crashing my beautiful models. They will have to drive the trains by the signals as in real life, and the signals (both semaphore & colour lights) will be repeated on the control panels, so hopefully they don't go wandering off around the layout. In practice this will reduce communication problems as not all the operators are multi-lingual !         

Above: Oakley station pointwork under construction, which also reveals the Peco flat bottom track on the mainlines and SMP bullhead track used for the sidings. The difference in sleeper spacing is exaggerated by the fact that the track is not yet ballasted here. 

Above: A close up of a minimum 5ft radius crossover under construction, which I prefer to do on site. This being one of two crossovers at each end of Oakley station, which allowed for the necessary shunting of the small goods yard.

Edited by 71000
  • Like 1

BASINGSTOKE 1958-67

A few more pictures of this weeks progress to 19/2/17.

With the kettle boiling again I'm now on tea bag 121 (since 3/1/17). It takes a lot of tea hacking up plywood and laying track !

Mora La Nova Museum news.

The latest development is that the Museum has just aquired a spare motor bogie for our German built 6000hp electric loco, as the last of its type are finally being scrapped. The loco has the capacity to aid our planned steam hauled tourist trains up the nasty gradient (about 1 in 45) from the coast at Tarragona through the mountains to Mora. The steam loco can cope but not fast enough to clear the single line sections. The Spanish railtrack authority "ADIF" is also worried that the steam loco will choke up the long two mile tunnel en route, so the electric loco will probably haul the whole train over this section. There is also a chance we may be getting a large Beyer Garratt of 4-6-2 + 2-6-4 wheel arrangement. A very large beast as here in Spain the track gauge is 5ft 6in !!!

Back to models.

As seen in the pictures below the handbuilt pointwork around the little Oakley station is progressing steadily. However last Saturday I got diverted up the incline from Worting Junction to Lichfield tunnel, track laying all the way. So another 13 yards of track has appeared on what were bare baseboards in last weeks post.  

Above: The handbuilt pointwork for Oakley station progressing since the last post.

Careful planning of the layout was necessary to accomodate some awkward situations. Basically the 4 track mainline from London appears out of the Fiddle Yard (all on the level), approaches Basingstoke station where it meets the 2 track Inter-regional line from Reading (joining from the right). Then proceeds to Worting Junction where the 2 track line to Southampton diverges from the 2 track line to Salisbury. The Southampton line climbs from the Junction up to Lichfield & Popham tunnels (2 off) before disappearing back into the Fiddle Yard. The Salisbury line remains on the level passing Oakley station before it too disappears back into the Fiddle Yard.

The problem with all this is the Reading Inter-regional line. This line is important as it gives the real life excuse to run all sorts of locos and rolling stock from other Regions. However as this line leaves Basingstoke on the inside of the layout, but the Inter-regional trains all went to and from the Southampton line, which dissapears into the Fiddle Yard on the outside of the layout and at a different height, some complex routing inside the Fiddle Yard was necessary if conflicting movements were to be avoided.

Above: Tracklaying up the 1 in 100 gradient 7.5 metres (24ft 6in) long. The track had just been glued in place with PVA hence the odd smears. The junction seen will be hidden in tunnel, and allows the Up Southampton Fiddle yard tracks to reconnect to the Up Inter-regional Fiddle Yard tracks. 

Therefore the line to Reading will head away from Basingstoke station rising gently at 1 in 130 and utilising its own seperate baseboards to cross from the Basingstoke side of the layout to the Fiddle Yard side. It can then enter the Fiddle Yard high enough to cross the 4 track mainline to London just behind the scenic break. This will then allow Inter-regional trains supposedly heading for Reading to re-appear later out of the tunnel of the 2 track line from Southampton at the higher level.

However as the trains heading up the four track mainline to London include trains from both the Southampton & Salisbury routes, they have to be divided into their seperate Fiddle Yard tracks once inside the Fiddle Yard. This means the trains from Southampton must climb up inside the Fiddle Yard to regain the 70mm height, after the Reading line has passed over them. So all Inter-regional fiddle yard tracks are at the upper level as are all the Southampton line storage tracks. But not on the same baseboards, there being an 800mm operators space between, because it isn't possible to reach across 36 tracks without causing Mayhem. The two seperate sets of tracks at the higher level have to join together before re-appearing.

Above: Zoomed in on the previous shot.

I took advantage of the fact that there are actually three short tunnels between Worting Junction/Battledown Flyover and Micheldever the next station down the Southampton line. Inside the first tunnel is a Peco Large radius point where the two upper level sets of storage tracks actually join. But the line to Southampton then re-appears for about 6ft before dissapearing into Popham tunnel and its Fiddle yard tracks. This should cause a little confusion by observant viewers, as they will see long 12 car Southern trains appear out of Popham tunnel dissapear into Lichfield tunnel (which is only about 6 cars long), and reappear to descend towards Battledown flyover. But then long 12 car Inter-regional trains will just appear out of Lichfield tunnel, without appearing between the two tunnels first !!!!  

Above: Putting Battledown Flyover into perspective, and revealing the gradients necessary. Trains pass over the flyover from right to left and then immediately descend at 1 in 50.

Edited by 71000

BASINGSTOKE 1958-67

Electrical Costs Comparison & Wiring Large Layouts.

My Exhibition layout “Basingstoke in OO 1958-67” is 85ft long by 22ft 9in wide. It needs 7 controllers/operators to run a fleet of 130 locomotives & multiple units, 340 carriages and 200 wagons. There are 201 live frog points, 76 fully working signals, with 154 track circuits, and with 12v DC operation 202 track sections are needed. It will require around 10 km of wire using 12v DC & I estimate only 8 km with DCC once complete.

Above: Having tested virtually every type of point mechanism available worldwide, I selected the Fulgarex version as both reliable and versatile. Being a slow action motor it does not damage my handbuilt pointwork, and will happily work Peco points. It has TWO spare switches, which I use to control my live frog points and interlock the point into the signalling system. The brass operational crank is provided. Views from both front and rear.  

Obviously if I use DCC I won’t need all the panel switches and LED’s listed below for 12v DC. However the amperage demanded by DCC means a slightly heavier duty wire is needed, and a different type of plug/socket between the baseboards (all 38 of them). 

With large quantities of many parts needed I bulk buy to obtain discount, and these discounted prices are quoted.      

Electrical cost requirements for 12v DC, Track Circuit Control (TCC) system.

Controllers & transformers

KPC – panel mounted, special slow speed controller for loco shed                                  £39.95

KPC – Hand held non-feedback type for yard shunting x2                          @ £24.95 =    £49.90

Gaugemaster type U Inertia controllers x4                                                     @  £44.95 =  £179.80

Gaugemaster T1 twin 16v AC output transformers x5                                 @ £24.95 = £124.75

Rectifiers 16v AC > 12 v DC  x5                                                                                @ £1.25 = £6.25

Point motors

Fulgarex slow action point motors x 201                                                         @ £12.50 = £2512.50

Switches

Single pole single throw On/off mini toggle switches x 62                              @ £0.98p =     £60.76

Single pole double throw centre off  switches x 202                                       @ £1.22 =     £246.44

Double pole double throw mini toggle switches x 176                                    @ £1.46 =     £256.96

Push to break switches x 42 (for signal release)                                             @  £0.78p =   £32.76

LED’s(for control panels)

Red  x 76                                                                                                           @ 0.25p  = £19.00

Yellow x 200                                                                                                      @ 0.25p  = £50.00

Green x76                                                                                                          @ 0.25p  = £19.00

Blue x24                                                                                                             @ 0.50p  = £12.00

White x24                                                                                                           @ 0.50p  = £12.00

Relays (for interlocking points/signals & signal sections)

12v DC four switch type x56                                                                               @ £4.50 = £252.00

12v DC two switch type x78                                                                                @ £3.50 = £273.00

Plugs sockets & wire connectors

27 pin D connectors 3x male/female connectors for each of 38 baseboard joins @ £1.70 = £193.80

12 way chocolate block connectors in multipacks of 10 for 6156 wire

connections requires 513 strips so 51 multipacks:                           @ £6.75 = £344.25

Cable

100 metres x 12 core 34 strand burglar alarm cable x9                                         @ £27.50 =  £247.50

TOTAL       £4932.62

Note: the cost of the track circuits used are not shown as they cost less than 1p each !

Electrical cost requirements for DCC option

Gaugemaster "Prodigy" range exampled as middle price range system.

Controllers

Prodigy Advance DCC02 starter pack (Master & 1 controller)                                                                      £289.95

Prodigy Advance DCC14 Walkaround controller x6                                                                @ £134.95 = £809.70

Prodigy Decoder Doctor DCC15                                                                                                                               £84.95

Chips & DCC control units

Locomotive chips PBDCC29 bulk packs of 5 x26 (130 locos)                                                @ £94.95  = £2468.70

Gaugemaster DCC30 Accessory chip operates 4 items: For 201 points/76 signals x70 @ £62.95 =  £4406.50

Gaugemaster BPDCC80 autofrog polarity controller (3 pack) x67                                        @ £14.50   =  £971.50

Gaugemaster DCC49 Layout Booster unit                                                                                                           £189.95

Gaugemaster DCC66 Controller mounting caddy x7                                                                @ £6.95 =        £48.65

Point motors

Fulgarex slow action point motors x 201                                                                                     @ £12.50 = £2512.50

Cable

CA speaker wire 79 strand type suitable for 10amps at 16v AC in 200metre reels x30     @£39.60 = £1188.00

Plugs, sockets & wire connectors

12 way male/female connectors for 3000 connections x250                                                     @ £3.99 = £997.50

12 way chocolate block connectors in multipacks of 10 for 3000 wire

connections requires 250 strips so 25 multipacks:                                                 @ £6.75 = £168.75

DCC TOTAL: £14,139.65

I think the costs speak for themselves !!!

As I know how to wire layouts, and I think the system I use “Track Circuit Control” (TCC) is more advanced than most. I’m not inclined towards DCC. Mainly because it cannot operate a model railway in a realistic manner. When I say realistic manner I am referring to the real life interaction between trains and signalling. The fundamental principle of signalling being “the safe regulation of trains”. 

Above: An example from the Mk1 layout, here showing the Fiddle Yard control panel almost complete. In addition to section, signal and point switches, there are also LED's to prove route setting, repeat signals and for inter-panel communications.   

So Model Railways as opposed to kiddies toy train sets, should in principle follow what they claim to emulate, and have signalling that works in a realistic way. To achieve this, track circuits are a very helpful aid. It allows these track circuits to partially or fully control signals in exactly the same way as their real life counterparts, whether an Automatic, Semi-automatic or Manually controlled type. As in real life this allows inter-locking between signals, points and the signal sections. It therefore provides the same sort of real life safety, and requires layout operators to operate in a more realistic fashion, i.e. You have to drive by the signals not just go willy-nilly just where you would like. Proper routes have to be set up, just as in the real world, before signals can be cleared. When routes are set, the correct signal shows the correct route. And when my operators crash red signals their trains get brought to a halt, before they can crash into another of my beautiful (and now rather expensive) models !

No one it should be noted has yet made a “chip” for model railways that can operate British Semaphore or Multi Aspect Colour lights realistically. But wiring signals to work realistically is not so complicated, and the simple type of track circuit I use (which costs less than 1p) can be routed through relays that are wired to operate both semaphores and 3 aspect colour light signals exactly as their real life counterparts worked at the real Basingstoke in 1966.

Above: A scratchbuilt signal gantry with modified Berko signals, reveals the wires necessary to illuminate the lenses.

The addition of full and realistic working signalling, which I have applied to a number of exhibition layouts, including German & Japanese prototypes for around 30 years now, has another major advantage in that is increases the enjoyment level of operation and staves off boredom.

To keep all my operators interested, I normally operate at exhibitions using slightly modified real life timetables. In the steam era this of course necessitated a lot more than just wizzing trains around in circles. At Basingstoke many of the Inter-regional trains going to or from the Reading line changed locos here. There were three goods yards, carriage sidings and a loco shed, all adding real life operational interest, not just for the operators but also IMPORTANTLY for viewers !

Above: The completed and installed signal seen above under construction. 

Using “12v DC” is an over simplistic term. It can hardly be called “Analogue” as that implies a fixed method. Indeed there are so many different ways that a layout can be wired, 12v DC might better be described as “Wiring Versatility”. Before deciding how to wire Basingstoke, I studied the real life operations for my period (1958-67). The positioning and types of  signalling found also indicated the possible normal moves available. Sectioning was therefore carefully tailored to meet all these possibilities. Platforms tracks had to be divided into two or three sections, to allow for loco changes, and the addition and detachment of vehicles from certain trains. Out on the line, as you can normally only have one train between each signal, only one section was required, and these sections start about three carriages beyond a signal and continue to the same position ahead of the next signal. The loco shed was obviously another scenario, where locomotive length sections are required (35 actually).

Above: Another scratchbuilt gantry of the type installed in 1966 around Basingstoke. This has 3 aspect signals for both Up Slow and Up Fast lines, and also small scratchbuilt subsiduary signals, to allow freight movements to enter the yard. All being interlocked with the relevant points and track circuits, so only the correct signal can be released if a route is set, and no trains are occupying relevant track circuits to prevent a signal being cleared.. 

Further, if Common Return is used, and “Cab Control”, traditional 12v DC wiring can be reduced by as much as 30%. On Basingstoke the supply from 7 controllers, the signalling supply, the track circuit supply, the relay supply and the point motor supply (all being 12v DC) are all routed back through ONE common return wire, that circumnavigates the whole layout. This also improves reliability of train operation on large layouts. For that one wire I use auto car battery cable some kind soul gave me a large roll of many years ago. This also reveals that to avoid all sorts of odd electrical problems on large layouts, it is best to use a separate transformer for the supply to each type of accessory whether the trains or the signals etc…     

Coupling and uncoupling is a problem that also needs careful consideration on a large layout. I don’t like operators arms appearing over the backscene to uncouple things. I am also unimpressed by the toy coupling fitted to British Models, or for that matter many of the available British layout options, such as DG or B&B, both of which I have tried in the past. As the US Kadee is both a virtual replica of the real life British “Buckeye” coupling, and now has a delayed action feature built in, I settled on this type as more realistic and reliable than any other alternative I can find. Indeed the advantages of this type also include its ability to reduce the overscale gaps between vehicles, regardless of your minimum radius curve. Simply by the expedient that their couplings designed to fit the European NEM coupling pocket (Kadee Nos 17, 18, 19 & 20) have a hinge behind the jaw. The options of three types of magnet to uncouple the Kadees being track mounted, under track mounted and under track electro-magnet, ensure options to suit all possibilities of uncoupling location. Coupled to sensible use of track sectioning, such as in the loco shed. A section break placed at the mid point of a Kadee magnet allows pairs of locos to be uncoupled, an otherwise awkward scenario. The delayed action uncoupling feature allows for just one magnet to be used in the throat of a goods yard. A shunting loco can uncouple the rear few wagons of a train over the magnet, then carefully propel the wagons to where it is desired to leave them, without re-coupling. Only when you pull away do the couplings uncoupled, then spring back to centre ready to re-couple ! This feature in alliance with strategically placed section breaks in platforms allows for the detachment of vehicles from the rear of a parcels or passenger train in a station platform. This being just another of the varied moves carried out at Basingstoke during a normal days timetable.         

Above: Relays of various types, used to interlock track circuits with signalling and pointwork, so the layout works just like its real life counterpart. The relay on the left with a mechanical arm is for use with semaphore signals.

The amount of time and effort that goes into construction of a large layout can be easily wasted if careful thought is not given as to how and what types of operations can be carried out. For example the well known “Copenhagen Fields” 2mm Finescale layout which has been on the exhibition circuit for many years (too long ?) is as boring as hell to operate. It has virtually no working points, so a selection of trains can only be repeatedly run in circles, and changes to the selection require stock to be physically changed. As a result in can realistically be left to one operator to look after it. This is not conducive to member interest, and either looses members, or requires new layouts and more expense to keep the members amused.  “Chiltern Green” their

previous layout was much better in my opinion !

Above: An example of the wiring needed to interlock two automatic signals on the Up Slow and Up Fast lines. (Signals K4 and K5 at the top right hand end of the sketch) with the relevant track circuits, and other signals. Eight track circuits being needed to ensure correct operation. Each track circuit requires one piece of wire, cost less than 1p !!! 

BASINGSTOKE 1958-67

Layout construction progress 26/2/17.

How time flies when your stuck in a windowless industrial unit, with only a ton of plywood and a layout to finish !

So this weeks progress has been a mixed bag. Another baseboard, and a truly awkward one which took three days to get right. I had to partly disassemble the board twice, as it involves a double deck section, also required to be on a curve.

Above: The carefully curved upper deck fiddle yard tracks, being marked out for the complex handbuilt curved pointwork necessary. The lower deck behind just reveals the entrance in the backscene for the Up and Down Salisbury line. 

The upper deck can be seen in the picture above, with an old Fiddle Yard handbuilt point from the Mk1 layout, being used as a guide to get the curvature right. This awkward section requires the six outgoing (Up direction) Southampton to London storage tracks to join together. None of the curvature must be under my minimum 5ft radius, and I had to cut this upper deck three times to get it right.

The Upper deck has to be as small as possible to allow for the complexities of the tracks below. The tracks seen coming in through the backscene board are the Up & Down West of England line to/from Salisbury. The little Oakley station being just the other side of the backscene out of sight.

The two locomotives seen are standing at the buffer stop end of one of four terminating sidings specifically intended for EMU's and and the "Bournemouth Belle" which has to have its locomotive changed from one end to the other so as to avoid buying two 12 car rakes of Pullmans ! The locomotives are a Heljan Hymek, and a DC Kits Class 71 which also uses a Heljan Hymek modified chassis.

Above: A broader view of this "L" shaped baseboard. The two locos, a DC Kits Class 71 Bo-Bo electric and a Heljan Hymek, are standing at the bufferstop end of what will be the Bournemouth Belles siding.  

The picture above, gives another angle on this awkward "L" shaped double deck baseboard. The width of the layout has to widen to accomodate the Fiddle Yard, as there were 36 now 39 storage tracks. You can never have enough of them ! In addition you can't obviously reach across more than 16 tracks when the baseboards are 4ft 3in above floor level. So the Fiddle Yard also divides here, into two parallel lines of boards, with an 800mm wide gap between.

Notice, on the left of the layout the half ton pile of 12mm 8ft x 4ft sheets of Marine plywood for baseboard tops. While just out of view bottom left is another half ton pile of 15mm Marine plywood from which I cut the framework for each baseboard.

Above: Another angle on this "L" shaped board revealing how the upper deck, Up Southampton line storage tracks actually curve to rejoin, inside Lichfield tunnel, the Up & Down Southampton line !      

The above picture, reveals how this new board fits in with what has gone before (see previous posts above). It also reveals the upper deck single track exit. Hopefully by next week I should be well on the way to covering this part with track including five handbuilt points, the first closest to the exit will have to be a three-way. And all because I got the curved track measurements about 1.5 degrees out !! I think this is called Fiddle-Faddle ???

Having got past the wooden bits, we can now turn to track and more.....

post-29782-0-78585600-1488147800_thumb.j

Above: The little Oakley station with the London end trackwork virtually complete, and my revamped Wills Kit T9 4-4-0 posed with some coaches. The basic platform structures are already in place, and just one crossover at the far end to build. 

Above can be seen the handbuilt pointwork at the London end of the little Oakley station, now complete. One further crossover (to be built) can just be made out at the far end of the station marked out on card. Incidentally all track is laid on 5mm cork, but as the copper clad sleeper strip is slightly thinner than the Peco code 75 track sleepers, a layer of Kelloggs Corn Flakes card is glued to the cork to build the pointwork on, and normally also for track laid with SMP code 75 Bullhead track. The station platforms and cattle dock area are laid using 15mm plywood fixed onto the cork as well, as this works out just right for the platform height.

The train seen in the picture, which I have posed, as I had a visitation from the Editor of a Spanish model railway magazine and the President of one of the Barcelona model railway clubs, yesterday Saturday (25/2/17). Is a tarted up Wills kit hauling a set of Bachmann Mk1's also much tarted up - see below.

Above: The revamped Wills kit T9 4-4-0 described in a previous post, here posed for its photo with a resprayed and renumbered Bachmann Mk1 3-car set.

The posed train seen above is formed of one of my two Wills kits, Class T9 30338 4-4-0's. This model has been heavily modified to bring it up to the same level of detail as the very nice Hornby models of which I also have a handful. The Wills kit model had to have the tender chassis rebuilt, as it was designed with two bogies (to get around clip together track curves) instead of one long chassis. The loco itself has had a whole host of extras added, as these old whitemetal kits although accurate dimensionally never provided any more than rudimentry detail, as that was left to the builder, to keep the initial cost down. I had to add: Brake gear, boiler pipework, cab detail, fallplate, new tender-loco coupling, pick-ups to all wheels tender included. Re-balance the loco as it tried to start like a horse taking off in the Grand National. The tender also had to be detailed including a lump of Spanish coal found in Mora La Nova station carpark ! After all that it had to be repainted and fully lined.

The Bachmann Mk1 3-car set has also been revamped, as they were originally in Western Region Chocolate & Cream. So a total respray was required, along with set numbers (set 537) and the correct coach numbers for this set. I also took the opportunity to add the curtains in the first class compartments, and repaint the interior, so the 1st class compartments stand out more with their dark blue seats. This helps to brighten up Southern coaches, as you will notice Southern Region coaches had no lining unlike other regions!

Above: First outing for my recently completed Class H15 4-6-0 30521, rebuilt from a Hornby King Arthur, described below. 

An H15 Class 4-6-0 !

No NOT a King Arthur, although it may look a bit like one to non-Southern eyes, it is in fact an H15. I must admit I am rather pleased with this model. I started this little project a few years ago for the Mk1 layout (in Germany) but then had to pack it away, part completed, for my move to warmer climes in Spain. I found the box of bits last Christmas, and have spent my evenings slowly pressing on with this. So here is the first picture (more below) of the fully finished loco.  

Although DJH have/do make an H15, I am reluctant to buy loco kits now, not because I can't make them, but because I can no longer find powerful motors good enough to pull 12 carriages up a 1 in 100 gradient, to put in them. I therefore decided it would be easier to hack up a Hornby King Arthur, which I already knew could pull 12 up the necessary gradient because they have nice large chunky modern motors in them.

However it turned out a little more complex than I had expected. Fortunately some kind soul has recently published a very good book on H15's which solved one or two little problems of detail. The publication is "The Book of the H15 & S15 4-6-0's" by Peter Swift, and published by Irwell press. As Hornby have recently added the S15 to their range, I would seriously recommend this book to anyone wanting to know more about these loco types. These "Book of" publications are designed with modellers in mind, so contain a wealth of great detail.       

For anyone wondering what an H15 is. They were in fact a precursor to the King Arthurs designed by Urie (CME of the LSWR). But unlike the King Arthurs the H15 was a mixed traffic design of greater size than previously built by the LSWR. BR rated these locomotives as 4P5F.  The first ten entered traffic in 1914. The problem for modellers as I discovered was that a number of H15's were produced in various batches including one-offs. Some were also rebuilds of earlier Drummond types. Indeed Maunsell (Urie's successor) also built some as late as 1924. Different boilers, and various other parts, means there were noticeable visual differences in the various batches. Even the numbering was erratic, as they were numbered as follows: 30330-335 30473-478 30482-491 30521-524 (26 total). The first and last group being later 1924 built locos, and those most similar visually to King Arthurs. A major difference between H15's & King Arthurs was the driving wheel size. This being 6ft 7in on the Arthurs but only 6ft on the H15's. A difference of slightly over 2mm in model form.      

Above: The original Hornby "King Arthur" bodyshell on the workbench, part way through reconstruction into an H15.

In the above photo can be seen some of the alterations needed to the bodyshell, including removal of the King Arthur wheel splashers. On the H15 the wheel splashers are smaller and virtually only a slightly raised plate without nameplates of course. Cab window sun visors also had to be removed from the King Arthur. Fabrication of new parts was mainly in plasticard, including the new smaller splasher as seen. I fortunately had a spare chimney of the correct size for an H15, which was one item I didn't fancy having to make. Other alterations included reducing the tender - loco coupling length, and some internal alterations. The DCC blanking plate was removed, the loco rewired, and another 25 grammes of lead shot put in the area previously occupied by the blanking plate, to increase the locomotives pulling power. The model as a result will happily haul 14 up the previous Mk1 layouts 1 in 90 test incline. So should prove no problem on the new Basingstoke Mk2 with its 1 in 100 gradient.

Above: The completed H15 here posed for its photo shoot.

The H15 seen in the accompanying photos and now complete, was also fitted with a Nine Elms to Exmouth Junction freight headcode, using etched brass headcode discs. It will obviously be used on various freight turns which included one of the daily Fast freight Milk train empties. The locomotive was repainted in BR mixed traffic lined black, using Halfords matt black. Then it was lined, and given a gentle spray of Halfords matt grey undercoat. Followed by certain parts being picked out in "dirty oil" such as parts of the cylinders.

Above: A rear three-quarters view, showing the weathering achieved using a mist of grey. Which also helps seal the HMRS Pressfix type transfers. Parts of the chassis have also been weathered with a mix of matt black and oil, which the camera unfortunately won't quite replicate properly.

Above: A nice side view revealing the reduced loco to tender coupling giving a much more realistic gap.

Above: Finally a shot of the loco posed with a freight train shunting at Oakley station. The loco with its distinctive headcode is intended to work the afternoon Milk empties from Clapham as far as Salisbury, and certain other freights to and from the West Country. 

My Spanish VIP visitors from Barcelona yesterday, had it seems already heard rumours of strange things going on down here in Mora la Nova. They have it seems never heard of anyone building their own track. Further they had never seen such items as roll gauges and copperclad sleeper strip ! Indeed, they were also intrigued by my baseboard construction methods, and had never heard of "pattern makers alignment dowels". Which probably explains why the trains on most layouts at last years Spanish National Model Railway show, bounced off the track at nearly every baseboard join ! So the magazine editor is already screaming for an article, and the Club President wants to know if I can do demonstrations of track construction, having discovered that handbuilt points cost only about 10% of commercial ones.  

• Like 1

BASINGSTOKE 1958-67

Increasing YOUR layouts operational interest.

Above: Logistics. Locomotives = EWN and Coaches = CWN ! BR Standard Class 3 2-6-2T 82029 at Clapham Junction Carriage sidings 24th March 1967.

The logistics of running a railway on a day to day basis required many operational publications if the system was going to function fluently. The first of these being a timetable. Not just for passenger trains but for freight, light engine movements, empty trains, and indeed for all regular movements.  So the railways had “Working Timetables” which showed all regular movements. From the Working Timetable was extracted the passenger trains to provide passengers with the information they needed to know, in the form of the “Public Timetable”.

Above: Copy from 1958 Working Timetable for freight trains Salisbury-Plymouth section. 

Above: Copy from 1954 Public Timetable Waterloo - Weymouth Summer Saturdays

EWN (Engine Working Notices)

If you can imagine a large London terminal such as Waterloo in the days of steam, you will appreciate that the many trains shown in the Public Timetable needed to leave on time. But if they were to do this, you needed a locomotive of a suitable type to haul it. That same locomotive had to appear from a locomotive depot usually some distance away such as Nine Elms shed a few miles to the south. So the locomotive shed needed a supply of various locomotive types.  The locomotives needed to be prepared for work, which meant a cold loco would have to have a fire put in it about 3-5 hours before it was actually needed. With so many locos. (Nine Elms a large shed usually had around 100-110 locos allocated to it.) chaos would ensue if there was not some sort of system, to ensure the right type of loco appeared at the right place and time. So the railway had a publication called the “EWN” (Engine Working Notices). The EWN basically showed the daily workings for each locomotive roster, even though the crew on the locomotive may change a number of times during that locomotives working day.

Above: Extract from EWN 1962 Eastleigh on Summer Saturdays.

CWN (Carriage Working Notices).

Down at Clapham carriage sidings alongside Clapham Junction station, more chaos would have reigned if there hadn’t been a “CWN” (Carriage Working Notice). This complex publication showed what formations of coaches needed to be provided, and at what time the stock should be ready to leave the sidings to go usually to Waterloo for a specific service. It also showed any changes to a trains formation station by station. So for example, under “Basingstoke” would be detailed the fact that a parcel van should be detached from the rear of the 05.30 Newspaper train from Waterloo to Portsmouth & Dorchester (dividing at Eastleigh), which arrived at Basingstoke at 06.30. Or that the 08.30 Waterloo to Padstow should on Summer Saturdays have an extra SK coach added to the rear of the train during the trains 7 minute water stop.

Above: Extract from CWN Summer Saturdays 1960 Basingstoke.

CWNA (Carriage Working Notices Appendices).

So that major Carriage sidings (and their staff) knew in advance firstly what the Region or Division had in the way of coaching stock (including such things as Parcel, luggage & Newspaper vans) another publication the “CWNA” (Carriage Working Notice Appendix) was available. The CWNA in the case of the Southern Railway/Region was more complex than most, because the Southern had the unusual behaviour of treating its coaching stock as if they were EMU’s. Coaches were marshalled in semi-permanent “Sets” with the Set numbers painted on each end of the Set in large numerals. “Sets” were not allowed to be altered, so if one vehicle in the set developed a fault, the whole set had to be taken out of service. The system it should be understood could cope with this, as spare “Sets” were available at certain locations.

In addition to the Sets were “Loose” vehicles. This group included many of the Open Saloon types, and where intended for strengthening trains at busy times, and most but not all of the catering vehicles. There were numerous and varied types of catering vehicles in steam days, each with an intended type of job. All these “Sets” & “Loose” vehicles along with certain other special items such as the vans, and Pull-Push type stock were carefully listed in the CWNA. Each listed Set showed what vehicles by their running numbers were included and what type each vehicle was. The "Loose" vehicles were also listed, so everyone could tell by a vehicles running number if it was a "Loose" vehicle. In the case of the Catering vehicles, they were listed in such a way as to show if they were running in pairs, such as a Kitchen car with a Dinning car, and what services they were allocated too. This also applied to all the Pull-Push sets, which were normally allocated to local areas based on the shed that provided the Pull-Push type locomotive for them.      

Above: Extract from CWNA Summer 1961 showing part of the "Loose" carriage section.

Above: Extract from CWNA Summer 1961 showing first page of the "Set" formations.

Above: Extract from CWNA Summer 1961 showing first page of Corridor "Set" allocations.

Above: Special bonus for modellers from the 1961 CWNA the Pullman car page. Shows all Pullmans normally on the SR, and those on loan to other Regions !

CWNS (Carriage Working Notice Supplement).

The CWNA became so complex in fact that it was divided in 1960. All the rostering of stock information was transferred to a new “CWNS” (Carriage Working Notice Supplement), which allowed this new publication be updated more frequently. This was particularly helpful in the case of the Catering vehicles, as changes to their workings were often needed two ot three times during the summer season to cope with increasing and decreasing demand as the holiday period waxed and waned.  

All the above documents can still be found on secondhand railway bookstalls, and from certain railway bookshop specialists, more than one of which regularly advertises on this very website !

Above: Extract from CWNS 1963, showing first page of Restaurant & Buffet car workings.

On YOUR layout.

From the above it becomes apparent that much of what has been explained is relevant to a model railway. The larger your fleet, the more interesting this all becomes. Rostering all your locos to specific jobs hauling specific rakes of coaches, or collecting specific freight trains, can all be assimilated into your own “Working Timetable”. In this way you can give all your locos a fair crack of the whip, instead of just running your latest favourites. Practically this also means wear and tear on your models is evened out a little more. Like the real railway you can also roster, spare locomotives to cover for failures (dirty wheels etc).

As many of us have computers and printers, you can even print out your own timetables or sequence cards, and you can make up Weekday, Saturday & Sunday alternatives, to increase the interest further. All this puts more meaning into your layout operation and enjoyment as you don’t have to stop and think “Now where do I put this set, the carriage sidings are already full” !!!!

Above: Carriages everywhere, and a Milk train to the left of the BR Standard tank. Clapham Junction carriage sidings in the late 1950's. 

For my layout Basingstoke I have slowly amassed many of the original BR documents mentioned above. From these I have worked out 10 separate Summer Saturday timetables (the busiest day of the week in my era) one for each of the ten years (1958-67) that my layouts period covers. My timetables are complex (based on the originals), as it requires seven separate sets of cards (one for each operator position) for each of the ten timetables. The sets of cards I print out are then attached to a ring binder, which is itself fixed to each control panel, in a position where the operator can read each easily from his seated position. Each card explains one move, and with practice all the operators eventually become fluent, so one person doesn’t get ahead of the rest.   

At exhibitions this has the added benefit of helping to ensure constant and fluid operation, and ensures everything returns to a suitable position in sidings or the Fiddle Yard. At the end of each session of approximately 90 minutes, we have a quick tea/coffee break, while one of the team makes a handful of alterations to certain stock in the Fiddle Yard, as the next session moves forward one year. Ensuring a slightly different variety of locomotives and coaches/wagons, and a different set of moves. Intense operation at exhibitions when using such a system is now possible, which entertains the paying public, and keeps the operators happy too. The 90 minute interval tea breaks allow them to unwind a little, and we then also rotate operating positions. At least one of the team also gets to remain outside the layout to answer questions from the public. A good PR move !

• Like 1

BASINGSTOKE 1958-67

"Slave to the rythm" (10/3/17 - Update).

Latest update from deepest darkest Spain, is that the electricians have arrived. Oh dear, and half the lights in the industrial unit no longer work.

Well last week was obviously a bit gloomy, mainly at the end of the layout where I was just about to start laying the Fiddle Yard tracks. So off to the other end of what is currently 10 metres (33ft) long, where I decided it was time to actually install "Battledown Flyover", lay the track across it, and then get on with some ballasting.     

Above: The London end of Battledown flyover, after bedding in the structure, laying the track, ballasting, and if you look carefully the third rail has also been added.

Indeed this time around I have laid the third rail using Peco brass nails for supports, as they readily take solder. I tried the Peco third rail "pots" on my Mk1 attempt at Basingstoke (in Germany) but being just nylon clips, I found that when you cleaned the rails one little bump and they were destroyed. So soldering to brass nails sems to be stronger. As all the track will later be sprayed "sleeper grime" this will hide the silver coloured solder blobs.

Above: By last Friday I had progressed towards the gloomy end of the unit, with the track ballasting and more third rail. 

It doesn't show up well in this photo as the third rail is on the far side of the ballasted track, and as per real life only 3 inches (1mm in OO scale) higher than the running rail. The picture also reveals the open framework section of this baseboard, supporting the Southamton line tracks. The London bound track remains on the level until after crossing the flyover where it then drops at 1 in 50. While the (ballasted) track heading to Southampton rises at 1 in 100, towards Lichfield tunnel behind the camera. It take 7.5 metres to rise 75mm, which is just enough height to allow trains on this upper deck to cross the lower deck inside the Fiddle Yard. The real life gradient is slightly steeper at 1 in 90. However previous experience with that gradient proved Bachmann Halls & Lord Nelson locos were obviously not as strong as their real life counterparts !!!  

Above: Some help in the form of these LED lights, as the Mayors electrician appears to have dissapeared into the gloom.

After fumbling around in the gloom until Friday, I decided enough was enough, and trotted off to Tarragona to raid a decent DIY store, Saturday morning. As you can see in the picture, I bought a set of 6 LED lights,  which I will use later in the permanent exhibition building. (ex Railway loco shed stores building at Mora La Nova station.) This helped a lot and feelling more enthusiastic I decided it was time to run a train. Mmmpphh now where did that control panel go...............

Above: A start on the first control panel. A shunt panel for Oakley station and yard.

So Saturday afternoon  and evening was spent sawing up more plywood to produce the control panel seen. Which was complete Sunday morning, and by Sunday afternoon I had wired up the Oakley station area. This control panel, although not originally part of the plan, is designed as a Station Shunt panel. It virtually replicates the exact area covered by the real Oakley mechanical signalbox. The panel includes a switch next to the "Kent Panel Controls" Resistance controller, which allows this panel to control the station and sidings. OR to be switched out, so that the Main panel which will be the other side of the layout (when built) to operate the Up & Down Salisbury tracks through the station, but not the sidings. In other words if there is a surplus of operators, we can let someone mess around with the little Oakley station, and add a little extra action shunting. This adds an eighth operating position to the whole layout.

The panel is obviously not yet complete, but the following may be of interest. Red switches will control the semaphore signals used here when installed. Black switches control points, and the remainder (white) are section switches. The track plan is faintly drawn in pencil currently, and awaiting some labelling and lining, which I will print out from my computer. These I will stick on, before varnishing the whole panel.

Above: The first train, and appropriately a Ballast train !

As you can see in the picture, ballasting is also progressing down the Salisbury line towards Oakley station. At this moment (last Monday evening) the track was live, and I was happily messing around with appropriately a Hymek hauled Ballast train, testing the track sections and the Kadee uncoupling magnets, shunting the wagons. Well I was getting withdrawal symptoms after three years without a layout to operate !  

Seems I'm not the only one, as last Tuesday the Museum Presidents eight year old son, was doing just the same. And extremely well, considering he'd never seen a Kadee coupling or uncoupling magnet before. Took to it like a duck to water. Mind you he's not nicknamed "Senor Atomic" for nothing, as the lads about three years ahead of his age. Possibly another Churchward or Bulleid in the making, as he can already identify Walschearts from Lentz valve gear !   

Above: The first passenger train a Bachmann Standard Class 4 2-6-0 and Bulleid 5-car set.

Having parked the Ballast train, it was time to test a Bachmann BR class 4 2-6-0, hauling a Bachmann 5-car Bulleid set, repainted and lettered, and even including anti-macassers in the First class compartments, just visible. The train is actually in motion, as indicated by the green LED on the controller. Testing this steamer wasn't random, as Bachmanns steam locos until recently, only picked up from the driving wheels. Any track imperfections or dead frogs are likely to cause it to stutter, being a smaller type. It behaved perfectly thankfully so no crossed wires. I usually end up fitting Bachmann tenders with pick-ups, which has the added advantage of reducing the wheel cleaning frequency, as the more wheels collecting the less dirt each wheel seems to attract. My Bachmann 4CEPs, having been rewired to collect from all 4 vehicles, have never yet needed wheel cleaning in the 6-7 years I have owned them !  

Above: The last of Oakleys trackwork another scratchbuilt crossover.

Having installed my new spotlights, I was finally able to finish building the last of Oakley stations pointwork on Wednesday, as they had been in a gloomy corner. This crossover at the Salisbury end of this little 4 coach platform station, is just before the entrance of the Salisbury line into the Fiddle Yard. Indicated by the hole in the backscene board, whch will hopefully shield the Fiddle Yard from view. A tunnel mouth will be constructed just in front of the backscene board to disguise the lines exit from view.  

Above: Now here's something you don't often see. Wrong line running due to Spanish Driver. I keep telling them they drive on the wrong side of the road. As he's only eight years old we'll have to forgive him I suppose ! 

Above: The BR Standard 4 grinds to a halt, no juice. Have to lay a third rail I suppose !

Last but not least, the Standard 4 and Bulleid set, seen above has conveniently stopped so you can see the array of loose handbuilt pointwork in the foreground. The pointwork is all salvaged from my Basingstoke Mk1 layout. Including a 6ft radius double slip (left) a couple of Diamonds, and amongst others a Fiddle yard point, with about 1 in 3 sleepers.

Hopefully with my own lights now installed, I can proceed with what I was intending to do last week, and progress the Fiddle Yard pointwork on the curved upper deck seen in last weeks post. This assumes of course that the Councils Electrician doesn't chop any more wires before providing their replacements. Fingers crossed......   

Above: The layout Baseboard Plan all 87ft x 25ft for reference.

• Like 1

BASINGSTOKE 1958-67

"Let there be light !" 20/3/17 Update.

240 teabags & counting. And Consumption is definately going to get faster as the weather gets warmer !!!!

Well after last weeks gloom, thanks to the rather strange behaviour of the Mayors electrician, things are getting brighter. Indeed the first thing to get a little brighter is the "Oakley Shunt panel". As seen below, I've started adding some colour to the panel, by simply printing out the labels and lining seen, from my computer. It isn't finished yet, but what I have already applied should make it clearer as to what the panel actually controls. The panel is intended to primarily allow shunting of the sidings as and when necessary. At other times the line through this little station is controlled by the Up & Down Fast line panel located the other side of the layout in the vicinity of the main station (Basingstoke). 

Above: The Oakley shunt panel, now with some labelling to give you a better idea of whats what.

At this point in time the Oakely shunt panel, is also allowing me to start training my Spanish Operators in some of the basics of operating Exhibition layouts. Odd at that may seem, I have just returned from the so called "Spanish National Model Railway exhibition" in Lleida, where it became embarrisingly obvious that none of the 37 Spanish layouts present, had any idea of how to operate a layout at exhibitions. Virtually nothing moved on any layout. Indeed the only layouts with any type of reasonably frequent movement were two layouts from France !

The control panel, is still awaiting repeater LED's for the signals (red switches). Also switches & LED's for the communication system between control panels, which allows each control panel to offer a train to another panel, and the operator being offered a train to "Accept" it when he is ready. Using LED's avoids any necessity for noisy "Bell codes", distracting telephones, which cause your Spanish oppo's to disappear for a "Siesta", or trying to shout above the din of a Spanish exhibition !        

Above: The Upper deck Fiddle yard for London bound trains from Southampton, and the first handbuilt pointwork.

As I didn't get to start building the Fiddle Yard pointwork last week as hoped. Due to the partial enforced blackout by the electrician, I have as seen above, finally managed to make a start in this direction.  The six sidings seen on this upper deck are the Up Southampton (London bound) tracks. They all have to join together without any curve being less than my minimum 5ft radius, while negotiating an "S" bend. So that they can join, inside a tunnel, the six tracks for "Inter-regional" trains heading back to Basingstoke and the Midlands. It all worked out fine on my scale plan, but when I came to draw out the tracks on the baseboard, I had no option but to include a 3-way point to fit it all in the space. A closer view of the 3-way is seen below.

Above: The Up Southampton Yard with a closer view of the scratchbuilt 3-way point.

Comparison of the pointwork seen above, with the previous post, will also reveal the small 50mm high protection walls, which will hopefully stop any stock that derails falling onto the lower deck. An idea of scale in this view, is demonstrated by the long wheelbase open wagon, which is standing on a 1yd section of Peco code 75 track.  

Having built the Fiddle Yard points seen, I decided that was enough filing of rail (and my fingers) for one week, and I turned to a little more baseboard construction.

Above: The whole Fiddle Yard has to be divided and run on parallel baseboards. As there are too many sidings to reach across, without likely damage to stock.  

In the overall picture above, can be seen TWO new baseboards (left & right). These are both Fiddle Yard boards, with an 800mm operator space between. The "public" will be to the right (where the green chair is located). The other side of the layout will be approximately where the grey breeze block wall is (to the left). This "Workshop" isn't nearly big enough to set up more than 25% of the total layout at any one time ! So in this picture we are looking at the end of 12 metres (40ft) of layout. All baseboards will be 2 metres (6ft 6in) long but of varying widths. These two Fiddle Yard boards are each 850mm  (2ft 9in) wide, and each wide enough for 16/17 tracks. Note the board on the left is double decked, while that on the right is at the higher deck level only. 

Above: The left had side of the Fiddle Yard. The Up Southampton storage tracks on the central raised section, with the Up West of England storage tracks to the left and the Down West of England line still approaching its storage tracks to the right. 

Above: A clearer view of how the storage tracks will be laid out. On the left the lower deck section will actually include six tracks for Up West of England trains, and inbetween these and the raised section will be Four terminating sidings for EMU's and the "Bournemouth Belle". One of which is hidden under the upper deck.   

Above: The Down West of England track, nearest. Its storage tracks will begin on the next board.

The upper picture clearly reveals how this baseboard adjoins the awkward curved Fiddle Yard exit board detailed above. While the middle picture gives a better angle on the tracks to the left of the upper deck. The lower picture helps reveal the height and method of mounting the upper deck on the lower one. The gap between the actual plywood of the two decks is 66mm, just enough to squeeze a train between.  

So this side of the Fiddle Yard contains all the West of England tracks on the lower deck. 6 for London bound trains and 6 for trains heading towards Exeter. Inbetween I have managed to squeeze an extra four sidings on the lower deck, to allow EMU's to be terminated, and one for my 12-car "Bournemouth Belle" set. Although the Bournemouth Belle will require the loco to be moved from one end to the other, this will save on the cost of 12 more Pullmans, and another track to store a second Pullman train ! The Central upper deck section for London bound trains from the Southampton direction, is unavoidable (due to Battledown flyover) if these trains are to avoid crossing the tracks for country bound trains on a level diamond crossing. So avoiding a serious conflicting movement, and operational problem.  

Above: Sixteen storage tracks on the Right hand run of boards. These will be divided from left to right as follows: 5 tracks for Northbound Inter-regional trains. 5 more for Southbound Inter-regional trains, and six for Down Southampton bound trains. 

This baseboard with its 16 tracks, as indicated by the track loosely lain on the plywood, is all at the upper level. The tracks are divided into 10 tracks for Inter-regional trains, with 5 tracks for each direction, and the 6 righthand most tracks for the Down Southampton bound trains. Behind the camera the Down Southampton tracks, once they merge back into one line will then drop at 1 in 50 before exiting the Fiddle Yard. The Inter-regional tracks, will merge into Up & Down lines, cross above the Salisbury lines, before exiting the Fiddle Yard and heading towards Basingstoke station on their own baseboards to the other side of the layout.

As this side of the Fiddle Yard, faces the public, it is more boxed in, to try and hide the storage tracks from public gaze. The wooden brackets seen will also support a 300mm (1ft) wide lid, to aid this facet. 

There will be four more Fiddle Yard baseboards, two each side of the central 800mm wide operator space, before the two parallel lines of boards rejoin. At that point 4 tracks will emerge from under a road bridge as the mainline from London heading for Basingstoke.

Baseboard Construction system.

This is probably a good time to explain a little more about how I construct baseboards. Because this layout is the first I have built in a climate a lot warmer and drier than Britain. I am not quite sure if there are any hidden pitfalls such a climate holds for a model layouts timberwork. As the layout is also intended to be on virtual constant display at the Railway Museum, as well as being available for exhibitions elsewhere in Europe, I decided to use Marine plywood that is also treated against certain known "bugs", that eat wood. As Marine plywood is both strong and relatively light, as well as being resistant to water damage and warpage, it should last at least 20 years. Hope so, as it was fairly expensive ! The frames as seen in the numerous pictures posted so far are no less than 75mm deep. Deep enough to hide and protect virtually all electrical items likely to be used on a model railway, such as Fulgarex point mechanisms, electro-mechanical semaphore signal relays, and a host of other smaller items.

What is not really apparant from the photos is that the 2 metre long side frames of each baseboard, are also of a sandwich nature. Made from 15mm plywood, there are two 75mm strips 2 metres long, sandwiching 100mm x 75mm pieces of 15mm ply every 500mm. This method helps to ensure that the sides do not begin to sag in the middle. This would cause the ends to rise slightly, and cause a lot of trouble for any tracks at baseboard joins.

A combination of open frame, semi-open frame, and flat top design is used as appropriate to the scenery for that area. All the parts are screwed and glued with NON waterproof PVA. Non waterproof PVA is used for a number of reasons. Including the fact that it can be mixed with water, for ballasting (25% PVA - 75% water) and hillside construction (10% PVA - 90% water) into which old Newspaper is dunked to form a cheap type of paper-mache. This type of PVA also allows ballast & track to be salavaged at a later date, by simply pouring on warm water, and waiting around 10 minutes for it to solidify the original mix.  

Plywood is also happy to take tiny screws such as those needed to mount the Fulgarex point motors, unlike chipboard, softboard or MDF. Plywood also provides a solid base but not one that is likely to cause rumbling effects when trains pass, again a problem with chipboard and MDF. Plywood is also easy to cut, especially if awkward curved shapes are required, with the use of a jig saw, unlike chipboard, which tends to crack and flake.  It isn't obviously worried by the water needed when ballasting, something that causes chipboard to expand and make a mess of your tracklaying !

The supporting legs seen in the photos are only provided at one end of each board (except the first of a run), so each board piggybacks on the one ahead. They are simply two verticals in 60 x 45mm softwood, and two crossbars using 60 x 30mm softwood. The upper crossbar is at 1127mm above the floor in all cases, and supports the baseboard across its width. The vertical legs simply slot into the corners of the baseboard with no bolts or any type of attachments. Indeed the tops of the legs do NOT support the baseboard, instead stopping short of the underside of any baseboard top.

To stop the whole layout from gently see-sawing back and forth, diagonal cross bracing in a "W" pattern along the outside (public side) of the layout, is bolted to "T" shaped metal brackets affixed to either the top or lower part of each leg. (These are NOT in place in the photos, as it doen't matter too much if the boards rock a bit during construction, and it saves time having to remove them to drop or move a baseboard around). Using the same type of carriage bolts, washers and wing nuts as those that hold the baseboards together, this allows for quick erection and dismantling of the layout. The long cross-braces, also provide a racking system whereby 2 or 3 boards can be racked one above another for transport. In addition, to ensure all baseboards go together exactly to the millimetre every time, "Steel Pattern Makers alignment dowels" are also used between each baseboard.                           

Above: The layout Baseboard plan all 87ft x 25ft for reference.

• Like 1

BASINGSTOKE  1958-67

Why are you systematically moving content across from your old thread?

I think I know the answer.

Consider starting a blog if you want the ability to moderate comments. You won't be able to cherry-pick comments on this thread either.

BASINGSTOKE 1958-67

31-3-17 "Light at the end of the Tunnel !"

Not the Mayors oddball electrician this time, but a drivers eye view of progress (picture below), as a little colour hits the layout in the form of the first scenery.

Above: Looking through Lichfield tunnel mouth, through the chalk cutting towards Popham No 1 tunnel. 

Well the Museum Boss brought a few more guests to the Workshop last week, and it quickly became apparant that they thought baseboards and track was a Model Railway. I should add, that many Spaniards seem totally unaware that Model Railways as a Hobby even exists. So their lack of comprehension is understandable. As a result of that, I was sidetracked from laying track in the Fiddle Yard, to start on a little scenery. Just a little, as the Baseboards are going to be dragged about quite a lot before the scenery stage is realistically reached.

Before the interuption, I was as planned working on laying part of the first 32 Fiddle Yard tracks. So that baseboard joins and the tracks crossing them line up perfectly every time the layout is put together. The first trick is NOT to lay track to the Baseboard edge, but lay it across the join.  All the tracks that must cross any particular join must ALL be laid, fixed in place, and the rails cut, before the boards are seperated. To help strenghten the Peco Flatbottom code 75 or SMP Bullhead code 75 track, I remove two plastic sleepers (one either side of the join) and replace these plastic sleepers with Copperclad ones, which the rail is then soldered too. These are then screwed to the baseboard, through the cork, using some tiny Fleischmann track screws. This being the only place were tracks are fixed to the baseboard, simply to help resist minor bumps when Baseboards are being moved about. In all other respects I only glue track, as track pins or screws defeat the whole reason of having cork underlay, which is used to help remove the rumbling effect of trains, and give them a smoother ride which helps to reduce derailments !

Above: The first 10 Fiddle Yard tracks. The 6 on the left being the London Bound Up Salisbury line storage tracks. The 4 to the right being terminating tracks mainly for EMU's. Some EMU's work London-Basingstoke-London shuttles, so need to reverse in the Fiddle Yard, hence their own tracks. Virtually all Fiddle Yard tracks will be long enough for 13 + a Loco. The 6 Upper deck tracks with neatly arranged wagons, thanks to the Bosses 8 year old son "Senor Atomic" , are the London Bound Up Southampton storage tracks.   

Above: This Baseboard has the beginnings of the Up & Down Inter-regional storage tracks (5 Up & 5 Down), and 6 Down Southampton line tracks. Peco points require 52mm track centres, whereas I use 46mm track centres. So the two tracks entering the Fiddle Yard at this point have to widen slightly as they pass through the tunnel. The Peco points seen are all 5ft Large Radii ones, salvaged from my Mk1 Basingstoke layout (built in Germany). A bit of "jiggery-pokkery" is needed here to get all 16 tracks into position within this 2 metre (6ft 6in) baseboard length.

The two parallel lines of Fiddle Yard boards with an 800mm Operators space between, will continue for another 4 metres, (2 more boards for each row), before they rejoin on a subsequent board. These 4 boards will be built shortly, as they will just fit within this Workshop. Once they are complete, I will have to dismantle most of the Boards seen in previous photos, and rack them in a corner. This will make space for construction of the rest of this side of the layout. There being currently 12 metres of length seen in the above picture and another 14 metres to go, total 26 metres of length.      

Moving on now to the colourful bits, the scenery. I decided that the safest bit of scenery to build, so we can satisfy the "uninitiated", as to what a model railway is going to look like when complete. Would be the two track Southampton line section between Litchfield tunnel and Popham No 1 tunnel. These being two of the three real life tunnels between Basingstoke and Micheldever. This narrow section being in reality in a deep chalk cutting, helps to provide a realistic reason to disguise the beginnings of the hidden Fiddle Yard. On the model the side of the cutting on the viewing side has been lowered to just a small embankment or viewers probably wouldn't notice it at all !  

I had hoped that this 2 metre (6ft 6in) "bit" of scenery would take just a couple of days to knock up, but the more I got into construction the more detail I realised would be needed. First off was the pretty straightforward Chalk cutting itself. This is made from polystyrene cut with a saw, and then sanded to shape with a surform. Which turned the workshop into a snowscene ! The polystyrene was then covered with stripped up newspaper dunked in a mix of PVA (10%) water (90%) and slapped on. The Chalk face was made using Plaster of Paris bandage, kindly provided by a Museum member who runs a Pharmacy. Plaster of Paris bandage also helps in awkward little corners where the sopping wet paper doesn't want to go. Although this Plaster of Paris bandage is going to have to have a little more plaster to disguise the mesh it comes on, at a later date.

The Tunnel mouths were next, and I decided it would be easier and sturdier if I cut two tunnel mouths for each tunnel from 15mm plywood. In each case one acts as the tunnel mouth proper, and the second acts as a support 130mm inside. The two being linked by a sheet of 0.5mm Plasticard, which provides a nice tunnel shape for those viewers who can't resist trying to peer into the darkness. I sprayed the plasticard matt black, to help please the viewers, and in practice try and disguise what is hidden in both tunnels. In the short Lichfield tunnel is a junction, while Popham tunnel is obviously the entrance to the Fiddle Yard proper. To the front of each wooden tunnel mouth I then had to build up a realistic copy of the original. They are both to a similar but not quite identical design in red brick. Using Slaters English bond brick plasticard, bonded to a 0.5mm sheet of plain plasticard, to add a little thickness, I first cut the tunnel mouth shape, by simply laying the plasticard over the wooden part already made. Vetical buttresses to one or both sides of the tunnel mouths were made using the English bond brickwork glued to a 2mm thick 20mm wide vertical piece of plain plasticard. Next was some dressing, in the form of a ridge across the width and above each tunnel mouth. This being just two bricks in height, and glued to a strip of 0.5mm plain plasticard. The ridge has to also work its way around the buttresses, which adds more character. Around the edge of the circular tunnel mouth opening I applied dressed stone blocks. These being 8mm x 4mm from plain plasticard and simply painted in differing hues of grey. Lastly across the top of each Tunnel mouth I applied fairly large Lintels. These being 20mm long by 4mm wide and 2mm thick. Again from plain plasticard and painted in the same range of differing greys.

And now just a bit of greenery and we're done I thought. Not so, a careful look at my layout plans revealed that I need signals in this cutting. One to control entrance to the Fiddle Yard (for Down Southampton and Inter-regional trains) and the second to control trains in the Up direction before they enter Lichfield tunnel, because there is a hidden junction inside.

Above: Popham No 1 tunnel mouth looking in the Southampton direction. To the left is a 3 aspect colour light which will be semi-automatic. It will automatically change to red as a train passes. When released it will show yellow if the route is set to a Down Southampton storage track (which requires trains to weave over a crossover) or green if the route is set to any of the Down Inter-regional storage tracks. If a conflicting move is set inside the Fiddle Yard the signal will not clear, and remain at red. The signal will of course be repeated on the relevant control panel as the operator can't possibly see this signal from where he will be positioned.       

As the layout is too large for any of the mainline operators to see the whole layout, all the signals will be repeated on the control panels. The signals will also work as per their real life counterparts, in conjunction with Track Circuits. So the Operators need to know what each signal is showing (Stop or Proceed aspects). Because crashing signals showing a Stop aspect will result in their train being brought to a halt, before it crashes into another train. This necessity as per real life is because most sections of line (between each signal) can be operated by more than one operator using "Cab control". This of course also helps reduce wiring while providing more flexibility. So two 3 aspect signals are required, and out came my boxes of signals and signal parts ! As this bit of the layout didn't exist on my Mk1 attempt, I did a little research and found that to my surprise the colour lights installed in this locality in 1966, are of a design virtually identical to the Berko - Eckon ones, with rounded faceplates. Just as well as I have a few of these products unmade in a box. The first of which I have already made up painted, and installed (Picture above). This one being the Down signal outside Popham tunnel and Fiddle Yard entrance. The major difference between the model and the real ones, being the colouring. Not included with these models are of course the actual signal number, and the markings on the Telephone box. Both of which I made up on paper, using a very fine 0.2mm marking pen and a large magnifying glass. Then cut out with a scalpel and stuck to the relevant parts. (Signal number plates were black on white, and the Southern Region numbering system was different, until around 1974. When colours were reversed, and the numbering system brought into line with then BR national policy).  The second signal is still on the workbench as I write, so will hopefully be installed tomorrow.

It then occured to me, that as this section of line is between two tunnels, and in reality in a shere sided Chalk cutting, there would have been a problem of access for both track and siignalling staff. Having to walk through tunnels is a Safety issue, and provision of an alternative would have been made if at all possible. So a bit more research revealed that certainly in steam days there was a staircase cut into the chalk to allow access from a nearby road. 

Above: The necessary staircase had to be cut into the model chalk face. The staircase and handrail are Plastruct products, intended as parts for a signalbox, while the top landing and steps up into the field above are scratchbuilt.  

The other tunnel mouth, not quite visible in the photo of the staircase seen above, being "Lichfield Tunnel 198yds" long, will have the second 3 aspect signal positioned in the space created at the bottom of the staircase. Additionally a signal trackside relay cabinet, is also necessary, and I'm rumaging in my boxes of bits for a suitable one to add to the scene later today.    

Above: The scratchbuilt Lichfield tunnel mouth, already revealing some "Limited Clearance" boards. 

Another little item often forgotten is that as most tunnels are obviously rather dangerous to walk through due to "Limited Clearence", the necessary "Limited Clearence" plates should be installed on both sides of the tunnel entrance.  These being red and white chessboard type markings, as seen in the photo above. I made these up again on paper using a 0.2mm fine tipped red marker pen. The track seen here is Peco code 75 flatbottom, using Green Scene ballast. It has all been painted in Railmatch "Sleeper grime", which was a good excuse to play with my new locally obtained airbrush, as the British Post Office won't allow sprays and now liquids to be posted overseas !

The scenic materials used as seen in the picture below, of this half finished scene, include a mix of Woodland Scenics fine, medium and coarse turf; foliage, and underbrush, in various shades. Heiki long grass. Green Scene grasses (they do a huge range of colours). All stuck down and too the Chalk cutting using PVA.

Above: One side of the cutting with the scenery almost complete.

Last but not least "4D Architectural models" trees, exemplified by this beautiful etched brass sycamore tree (seen below), above the tunnel mouth, and in my opinion the best model trees I have found. (4D are located near Fenchurch Street Station, London). They make a wide range of specific species of trees in scales from Z to Gauge 0 or even larger to order, and many other high quality scenic products !

Above: A closer view of Popham No 1 tunnel mouth with one of the etched brass "4D Architectural models" trees, strategically placed. 

Above: Can my steam locos haul this 12 car rake up the 1 in 100 gradient ? Find out in future posts !

BASINGSTOKE 1958-67

10-4-17 Scenery, trains & Sawdust !

First off, another few days was spent finishing, well almost, the scenic section seen in last weeks post.

Above in this view we are looking towards Popham No 1 Tunnel, 265yds long. On the model you only get about 6 inches of it, as it disguises the entrance to the Southampton line part of the Fiddle Yard. A little more detail now, including third rail, telegraph poles and even a few sheep in the field. As this narrow scene was designed to disguise part of the Fiddle yard behind it, the scene will remain a narrow strip, with the backscene board yet to be fitted behind the sheep field.

Above: In the opposite direction is Lichfield tunnel 195yds long. In this case the model tunnel is almost the full 195yds in scale length. This tunnel disguises the connection from another part of the Fiddle Yard. Since last weeks part finished scene you can now see such detail as: Signal relay cabinets; third rail; a scratchbuilt SR milepost, and even a brand new Automatic Warning System (AWS) ramp.

Above: A better view of the AWS ramp (Peco scenic accessory). Correctly painted as per the original in 1966. 

AWS (Automatic Warning system) was a system first introduced pre-WW2 on from memory the LT&S line. The GWR also had a very similar system, which spread to many of their important routes. AWS can be used with both semaphore or Colour light signalling. A track mounted electro-magnet is positioned around 220yds in advance of a signal. If the signal to which it refers is at danger, a warning sound is made inside the cab of any loco fitted to receive the information. Failure by the Driver to respond to the warning sound (a hooter), within 3 seconds, by cancelling the warning, results in an automatic full brake application. If the signal is showing any other aspect than danger, a different sound (a bell) is made in the cab, just to affirm the signal is NOT at danger. No action is required by the driver in response, as the bell sound lasts only a couple of seconds.

So as seen in the photos, models of the AWS ramp type fitted around Basingstoke in 1966 in conjunction with new colour light signalling, are placed before each of the two signals in this scene. Conveniently the design is of the type modelled by Peco. In reality colour lights of 3 and 4 aspect types were installed in 1966 as part of the Basingstoke resignalling scheme. Itselfd a part of the preperations for the 1967 Bournemouth line electrification. There being a new computer power box at Basingstoke also commissioned at this time. The signals actually modelled here were replacements for semaphore signals operated by a mechanical Intermediate box, intended to break up the long section between Worting Junction signalbox and Micheldever. The mechanical boxes were all swept away, and these colour lights were overseen by the new Basingstoke computer power box. Being in reality on plain line these signals were classified as "Automatic". They could in an emergency be restored to red by Basingstoke panel.

The model signals (WA13 Down line & WA24 Up line) will work in a semi-automatic mode as the track layout on the model is not just two lines as in reality. The signals will both automatically change to red after the front of a train has passed, thanks to the presence of real life type track circuits. The down signal will work as described in a previous photo caption. The Up signal outside Lichfield tunnel, has to work in conjunction with a hidden junction inside this tunnel. The junction allows the Up Southampton storage tracks to rejoin with the Up Inter-regional storage tracks. This signal will be released by a button on the control panel, allowing it to clear. It will change to yellow or green dependant on what the next signal up the line near Battledown flyover is showing. Unless the hidden junction pointwork in the tunnel is not set correctly in which case the signal will remain at red. A red aspect on this signal will also cut power to the track immediately ahead of it, so as to try and stop my operators from crashing trains, especially as the junction is inside a tunnel !

Above: Scenic detail and even a sutiable period road sign.

Above the Lichfield tunnel entrance I decided to add a small "C" road. To bring it a little more to life I thought it a good excuse to add a pre-European type British road sign, and what better than "Cattle". I should add here, that I normally leave scenery until all baseboards, track laying and wiring is complete. However few Spaniards are even aware of the existence of model railways as a hobby. I realised a number of "special guests" brought along by the Museum President, were perplexed by simple baseboards with just track on them, and were assuming that was a complete model railway. Hence this little scenic section to give them a better understanding. The question of course is: Will Brexit mean a return to old roadsigns??"

Above: Scenic detail with the scratchbuilt Popham No1 tunnel mouth, the detailed signal with number and telephone markings added. And even a period tunnel nameboard and its length !

Above and below: As I managed to get a good selection of pictures this week, thanks to the presence of some 500 watt halogen lamps, in this otherwise windowless Industrial unit. I have been able to get some close up images normally rather a problem with just the camera flashlight. So above is a closer image of the scratchbuilt Popham No 1 tunnel mouth. Below is a closer image of the Lichfield tunnel mouth. These pictures also reveal the tunnel nameboards outside each entrance.    

Above: Scenic detail. The scratchbuilt Lichfield tunnel mouth, another 3 aspect signal, nice new trackside signalling cabinets, and of course another period tunnel nameboard.     

Moving on now to Baseboards. I have virtually completed another complex Fiddle Yard board which brings the layout length up to 14 metres (45ft 6in), or just over half the 26 metre full length. 11 baseboards now virtually complete from the total of 35 to build. So I'm feeling fairly pleased as all the work to date has been achieved in just 3 months.

Above: One of the hidden flying junctions inside the Fiddle Yard. The strategically placed Mk1 coach, is sitting on the connection which will allow EMU's from the terminating sidings (to the left) to return to the Down direction by passing under the Up direction Southampton line here just at the top of its gradient.  

The baseboard started yesterday (Sunday 9-4-17), as seen in the pictures above and below, continues the double deck side of the Fiddle Yard. There will be 6 tracks for London bound Southampton line trains on the upper deck, and the 6 tracks for London bound Salisbury line trains on the lower deck. Along with 4 dead end tracks for EMU's and the "Bournemouth Belle". It is these last 4 dead end sidings that complicate this board. The incoming (London bound) terminating EMU's, run in parallel to the Salisbury line Fiddle yard tracks. Having terminated they have to return (South) to Basingstoke, by passing under the upper deck so they can exit the Fiddle Yard on the "Down" side. This Fiddle Yard "Flying junction" avoids serious conflicting movements in the Fiddle Yard throat.

Above: A similar view to the previous one, but giving a better idea of the supports necessary for the upper deck Southampton line storage tracks.

Having made the basic oblong frame (2 metres by 850mm in 15mm plywood), and then added a plain 12mm ply top. I then added the upper deck supports. These being made up as seen in 15mm ply and 2" x 1".  The Bachmann Mk 1 coach is positioned on the link, that allows EMU's to pass under the upper deck when leaving. The 5mm thick cork having already been laid. In the next picture below, can now be seen the upper 12mm plywood timber deck laid on the supports. From this it is apparant that the Mk1 is now partly hidden, and that the upper deck has to weave to maintain its position between the Up (to the left) and Down (to the right) Salisbury line sidings.

Indeed the Fiddle Yard was the hardest part of the layout to design, due to the necessity of two decks (a result of Battledown Flyover). The two seperate 2 track lines (Salisbury and Southampton) at one end, and the 4 track main London line and seperate 2 track Reading Inter-Regional line at the other end. And trains going in on one route, had to be in the correct position to exit on the correct route the other end. And all designed while sitting in a motorhome at 1500ft in a mountain campsite, while waiting for the Spanish property buying process to complete.  Well, what else can you do at 1500ft except possibly talk to the very large Wild Boar, Lynx tailess Mountain Lions, leaping Onyx, and beautiful soaring Eagles ?!   

Above: Virtually the same angle as above, but now with the upper deck lain on its supports, and the Mk1 coach now just squeezing beneath. 

In the last couple of shots of this board below, it can be seen how close the upper and lower decks are. There being just 6mm of clearance above the Mk1, and a mere 2mm above my "DC kits" Class 71's retracted pantograph !   

Above: Will it fit ?

The problem now is that the upper deck cannot be screwed to its supports, as there are points on the upper deck that require their Fulgarex point mechanisms to be installed first. So the cork will be added and then the Peco points, but not the plain track. Then the motors fitted below the deck, and in one case above. Holes will then be cut in the lower deck strategically below the point mechanisms, so that access in the event of failure (fortunately very rare with this type of mechanism).     

Above: A side view of the problem. It's close !

Finally the upper deck can be screwed in place, and lastly the plain track installed. The plain track you may have noticed is NEVER laid up to baseboard edges until the next board is in place. This then allows all the tracks to be laid across the joint, secured in place, and then all tracks over the join cut using a mini-drill with carbonundrum disc. This ensures that all tracks over any baseboard join always line up in future. This is aided by the fact that in addition to carriage bolts, wingnuts and washers holding the boards together, "Pattern makers steel alignment dowels" are used to ensure the boards go together EXACTLY EVERY time they  are joined.

Also basically completed over the last week was tracklaying on board 27, seen in last weeks post with just a couple of points in position. The first picture below shows this board from the end, and as just mentioned above, the tracks are NOT laid right up to the baseboard join. This angle also neatly reveals how the two tracks entering through the tunnel fan out into 16 tracks in just 6ft of space. Not quite possible if I relied solely on the Peco large 5ft radii points seen. 5ft also being the minimum radii of any of the tracks. You have probably already noted the solitary handbuilt curved point, which was necessary to squeeze everything within the given space.    

Above: Can you get 16 tracks with minimum radii 5ft curves out of two tracks within a 2 metre length ? 

Another angle on this board (picture below) gives a better idea of the available length. Note: the wooden bracket(s) seen affixed to the screening wall, will support a partial lid over this and the next two adjoining boards to hide the Fiddle Yard from public gaze.  

Above: With a curved scratchbuilt point 16 storage tracks can just be started on this 2 metre board. 

In the final shot of this board seen below, is a close up of the handbuilt curved point necessary to squeeze everything into the available space. If I had used another Peco large radii point instead of handbuilding this one. It would have been necessary to lay it on the next baseboard, as the angle it would have created would have sent siding 16 off the edge ! The curved point built here is a 5ft (inner track) 6ft (outer track) radii point. Only approximately one in three sleepers are necessary to give it strength, as it doesn't really matter what it looks like in the Fiddle Yard as long as it works fluently. It is 21 inches long, a result of the radii used. At these larger radii, this generates minor problems when using 16.5mm OO track, even in code 75 rail. The 'Frog' becomes quite long, and because tolerances in normal OO are still quite coarse, the checkrails cannot be tightened up. This means the space through this 'Frog' allows particularly 4 wheel wagons to jump, as their wheels drop into and then bounce out of the space created. To reduce this problem you can see a triangle of white plasticard has been inserted into the space to act as a wheelflange support, and stop wheels bouncing.  

Above: A closer view of that 21 inch long curved point. 5ft inner radius and 6ft outer radius.

Will it or won't it ?

As mentioned last week, the big day has arrived. That is the day when I begin testing my steam loco fleets pulling abilities, up the gradient from Battledown flyover to Lichfield tunnel.

The distance to climb is 7.5 metres (24ft 4in) long and at 1 in 100 a vertical climb of 75mm (3 inches). The test is to check that each loco can, according to its real life counterpart, pull a respectable load. That basically means that Class 5P and larger types should be capable of pulling 12 up the gradient.

For a steam loco model the task is, to be fair, potentially problematic. Model carriages weigh more than their real life counterparts in scale. Model steam locomotives are limited primarily by their boiler size as too the weight that can be stuffed inside them. This is sometimes hindered further if internal space has been devoted to DCC parts whether chips or blanking plates. As traction tyres are not common on British models, only a few types so fitted may benefit.

As I usually only keep a couple of locos at the workshop (in case of unexpected visitors) I decided to begin last Saturday with what was to hand. So first I jury rigged some wiring of the necessary hill boards, and used a Gaugemaster cased controller balanced on the baseboard framework, to provide the power.

I began with a T9 metal Wills Kit, which still has a very old X04 3 pole motor. Being just a class 3P 4-4-0 I didn't expect it to haul more than 5 coaches, which is the most it's likely to haul in normal layout use. So the Bachmann 5-car Bulleid set was attached. Indeed it sailed up the gradient with no difficulty. So I made it 6 carriages, and again up she went. 7 coaches caused some slipping and 8 was the limit.

Above: A slightly blurry H15, with its 12 car load, just slipping to a halt, which didn't help the camera thanks to the lack of descent light

Encouraged by this first success I got my converted Hornby H15 4-6-0 out. As this model began life as a King Arthur (Class 5P) and these locos in real life regularly hauled 12 car trains up the gradient, I was confident this model with its large Hornby motor would fly up with 12. Oh dear how embarrassing, it slipped to a halt soon after getting the whole 12 carriages onto the gradient. After managing to get a photo of it frantically wheel slipping, it then conked out altogether. Disgusted I put it to one side.

Above: A violently wheel spinning H15. Not what the Doctor ordered Hmmmpphh

Next up I thought I might as well test my Class 71 Bo-Bo electric as it was to hand. This is NOT the Hornby model but a DC kits bodyshell on a Heljan Hymek chassis, with the correct spoked wheels from the kit replacing the Heljan ones. As expected it barely noticed the 12 coaches, as seen below, and roared up the gradient. So not having any more coaches to hand I began adding wagons. I managed to get it to pull the 12 coaches and 20 x 4 wheel wagons, before I ran out of space at the bottom of the gradient to get a proven test result ! As this loco has 8 powered wheels and an all up weight of 512 grammes I wasn't really surprised.                         

Above: More guts to the rescue. This DC Kits Class 71 Electric will shift a lot more than 12 !

Above: The DC Kits Class 71 whizzing up the gradient with 12 on and the disgraced H15 stopped for a "brew up" behind.  

The only other powered item I had to hand was a Bachmann 4CEP 4-car EMU, which wasn't going to prove much, but as I was now having fun I ran it anyway. This unit only has a motor bogie inside one brakevan, and on level track it can amazingly haul itself and 12 carriages just. Like my other two 4CEP's it has been modified so that all four vehicles collect current for the motors benefit, from ALL 32 wheels. Internal lighting and numerous superfluous electronic parts have also been removed, so that all traction current is available for the motor. It whizzed up the gradient like a scoulded cat and dissapeared into the tunnel. So while it was at the top I realised my new scenic section makes a good place to get some nice posed shots of my rolling stock. Hence a few pics of the 4CEP....

Above: Well having now added some 3rd rail to this scenic section, lets give the 4CEP a spin, with a 92 headcode for a Waterloo - Bournemouth semi-fast.

Above: Now on its way back to London, the 4CEP clatters out of Popham No1 tunnel

Above: A bit more of the 4CEP, which with all 32 wheels now rewired to feed the motor, doesn't notice dirty rails. Oddly the model actually makes a sound over pointwork almost identical to the real thing, and I use to drive these units !    

Having run out of locos to test, I sat down to investigate the H15. Off came the bodyshell, and the first problem was immediately apparant. I had forgotten to put the extra 35g of lead shot back inside the boiler after finishing the repaint. The reason it had suddenly stopped was a bit harder to find, but I eventually traced the problem to the coupling between loco and tender, which I had shortened as part of the modifications I make to most tender engines. Shortening this type of Hornby sprung clip type electrical coupling, brings the + and - very close. The loco had as a result shorted, because one of the wires was touching both terminals. I may have inadvertantly bent it putting the loco on the track. Problems solved it was time for a second attempt at the hill. This time with the extra weight in place the loco went up happily although the gradient certainly made it slow down, probably in much the same way its real life counterpart probably would when hauling a heavy freight up that gradient.  So a last picture (below) of the H15 posing in the new scenic chalk cutting, having reached the top with its load.

Above: Having been to the Doctor for some anti-wheel spinning medicine, the H15 achieved what I expected of it and got the 12 coaches to the top of the gradient without fuss.   

One final shot for this post reveals the Bachmann Corridor Composite (CK) of this 5-car set (seen below). The whole set has been repainted, had set numbers and the correct coach numbers for this set applied. In addition the "No smoking" and "First" class window stickers have been added. Vacuum brake and steam heat hoses applied to the end of set vehciles, along with Kadee couplings. Internally the couplings are now simple brass hook and eye type. This allows closer coupling. On this CK I also added the yellow first class cantrail stripe. But the main reason for the picture is the impression the repainted First class compartment seats in blue make, and particularly the white anti-macassers. These last being made simply from little oblongs of white paper. Being the centre vehicle it stands out even more by being in the middle.

Above: The complete five car set 843 after its makeover. 

Above: This Bachmann 5-car set has been given a repiant and interior tart up. S5861S the Composite Korridor (CK) seen here clearly revealing the 1st class anti-macassers also fitted

A more comprehensive test of loco pulling power up the gradient is necessary, and in particular the Bachmann Lord Nelson type, of which I have three examples is extremely important. As these locos have dutues hauling Ocean Liner Expresses of 11 or 12 vehicles. Also a number of new models, added to my collection since 2012 when I began doing and recording the results of tests.  Locos such as the large Bulleids and Diesels are already known to be more than fully capable, as tests up the Mk1 layouts 1 in 90 gradient a few years ago proved such. Details of each locos abilities are kept, in a "Load haulage capacity table" which comes in useful for other operators unfamiliar with the potential of each types abilities. This being even more important for my Spanish operatives as their own HO models are nearly always fitted with traction tyres ! The tests will have to be completed soon, as the relevant baseboards will soon have to be racked up to make way for construction of more baseboards. The workshop can only accomodate a maximum of 16 metres of boards, erected at any one time.

Edited by 71000

BASINGSTOKE 1958-67

23-4-17 "A Close Shave!"

Above: The complete Baseboard Plan all 87ft x 25ft for reference.

Hope everyone had a good Easter.  It was certainly, as usual, sunny & warm down on the beach here in Southern Catalunia. Which is just a mere 20 minutes drive from the Museum here in Mora la Nova, at the ancient fishing village of "La Hospitalet de la Infant".  

Having got a little suntanned it was back to work in my windowless industrial unit. So pressing on with this weeks digest, I continued where I left off in the last post with the awkward double deck baseboard, and the pointwork necessary on the upper deck. As mentioned previously it was necessary to install the FULGAREX motor driven point mechanisms & wiring, before this upper deck could be screwed to its supports. This all proved to be a little more complex than I had envisioned. The problem being the "link track" between the Up & Down sides on the lower deck. Trying to get the Fulgarex mechanisms to fit under their relevant Peco points above, and not foul the "link track" below proved to be "A Close Shave" as revealed in the photo below.

As you can see above, the Mk1 coach just squeezes between the underside of the point mechanisms. This required repositioning the track it is sitting on, which now has a slight "S" bend in it. Also clearly visible here is one of the holes necessary in the lower deck to access the point mechanism, just in case something goes wrong.

Having used Fulgarex point motors for around 30 years, on numerous exhibition layouts in "N" "Nm" & "OO" scales, I can say that in all that time I have only had one mechanism not work straight from the packet, and that was due to a "dry solder joint" on one of the diodes, quickly rectified with the soldering iron. However around 5 years ago the factory producing this product for Fulgarex of Switzerland, was changed. This caused a serious problem with production at that time, and virtually all the mechanisms first produced in the new plant were defective in a number of ways. I contacted Fulgarex direct at that time, and as they appeared to be at a loss as to what to do. I offered to forward them a full technical report in detail of exactly what was wrong and why. It obviously took them a little time to get the situation rectified, as tooling needed to be adjusted and/or modified. However I was extremely happy about a year later, when a package of 20 (FREE) rectified mechanisms and a thankyou for the technical help, turned up at my German address. All of which worked perfectly straight from their packets.

In the picture above can be seen the 5 mechanisms needed on this upper deck. Each mechanism is supplied with power by a brown & a yellow wire, to operate the motor that gently winds the point over. These wires having been carefully glued to the underside of the baseboard to prevent them hanging down and getting tangled up with trains passing beneath. These wires can clearly be seen screwed into a "chocolate block" wire connector. Tip: solder the ends of wires to ensure all the wire strands make a good connection in the screw terminal (this helps to reduce electrical resistance). From the "chocolate block" a 12 core/wire cable is used to go to a 24 pin "D" connector. This short white 12 wire cable, will hang through the hole seen below (to the left of the upturned top deck in the picture). As this is also at the baseboard end, it will connect into a similar 24 way "D" connector on the next baseboard, and eventually work its way around the layout to the relevant control panel. The "D" connector has not yet had its plastic covering screwed on to protect it.

In this next shot (above) a close up reveals more of the design of these mechanisms. The motor being clearly seen centrally located. The motor is fed by brown & yellow wires, connected to the solder tags seen protruding on the left hand side of the black baseplate. The power required being 12v DC. To change the point back and forth the 12v DC supply has to be reversed in these two wires. So I use Double Pole Double Throw (no centre off) mini toggle switches, on my control panels, to do this. These switches have 6 contacts. The centre 2 contacts are connected direct to the point mechanism. The other 4 contacts are then connected in an "X" shape, (with 2 short wires) and the 12v DC supply is connected to either the top or bottom pair. The "X" shape connections simply reverse the current between the top and bottom pairs of contacts, before it gets fed to the mechanism .

To either side of the motor are switches in Blue plastic. These are one of the main reasons I use Fulgarex mechanisms. I use one of these switches to control the polarity of my Live Frog points whether Peco or hand built, and the other switch to interlock points with the signalling, as per real life.

Tip: If you want Peco "Live Frog" points to be truly live frog you have to remove the tiny contacts between the moving blades and the rails leading to the Frog itself. These will be found on the underside of the point in tiny recesses in the sleeper base. They are only "spot" soldered, and I use the tip of a scalpel blade to push them sideways which breaks the connection at each end, so this tiny connection then falls out.

Another reason I use Fulgarex mechanisms is because they wind points over gently, and gently press the blades home for a good electrical connection to the blades. If "solenoid mechanisms" are used, (even Pecos own) they have a nasty habit with time, of breaking the hair spring in a Peco point. Rendering both the point and mechanism useless ! Indeed when using Fulgarex mechanisms you need to remove the hair spring, which can be done at any time, before or after laying the point, by simply removing the tiny plastic plate between the blade tips. This is held in place by four metal tags, which can be bent upwards to lift the plastic plate, remove the hair spring and then replace the plastic plate and bend the tags back down again. If you do not remove this hair spring the delay caused by the spring to the blades movement can cause a momentary short circuit. This is because the Switch on the mechanism controlling the polarity in the Frog changes before the blades move as a result of the resistance caused by the hair spring.          

The only problem for the uninitiated to Fulgarex mechanisms is the instruction sheet ! It is useless, and if followed it is unlikely you will have reliable operation of Peco or handbuilt points. This is because the instruction sheet assumes you are using one of the numerous European track systems that tend to use extremely lightly sprung floating point blades. So, you need to know the following:

1. Put a drop of superglue on each end of the brass wormshaft, to ensure that any stress or resistance in Peco or handbuilt points, does not cause the motor driven brass wormshaft to try and leap out of its plastic mounting each end. Otherwise this results in the motor whirring away happily but does not move the point blades or allow the motor to switch itself off !

2. The provided brass (wire in tube) operating crank that connects the point tiebar to one of the four holes provided in the moving point slidebar must NOT as stated in the instructions, be positioned some 10mm or so from the mechanism underneath the baseboard. The mechanism should be screwed under the baseboard right next to where the crank comes through the baseboard. This reduces the length of crank that you have to bend to fit into one of the holes. In so doing it increases the amount of throw needed to ensure reliable operation of Peco or handbuilt points, and stops the brass crank from bending under the stress caused during operation.

3. Only use 2 screws at opposing corners to attach the mechanism underneath the baseboard, and do NOT do the screws up tightly but allow the whole mechanism baseplate a little bit of movement. This again reduces any stresses in the brass crank, and increases reliable operation.   

4. To help reduce any rumbling or noise from the mechanism, you can use the Instruction sheet as a sound insulation (or a bit of cork) packing by simply sliding this between the point mechanism and the underside of the baseboard when you screw it to the baseboard.

5. Being a motor driven mechanism, the motor should like those in your locomotives, be oiled very occasionally, with ONE pinhead drop of oil on each motor end bearing. The oil used should be one designed for 12v DC high speed model motors such as Fleischmann oil specially formulated by the Mobil oil Co, for such purposes.   

All the above tips, have been gleaned from over 30 years of experience with these mechanisms on heavily used exhibition layouts. And you will be happy to know that in my collection of over 200 of these mechanisms some of the oldest ones are themselves over 25 years old, and still working happily !!!!!

Above, The Upper deck finally screwed into position and the track laid on both decks. On the lower deck to the left, can now be seen the 4 EMU terminating sidings and their pointwork. To the right of the upper deck is the Down Salisbury sidings just fanning out into their 6 tracks, which will continue across the next board to be built.

Above. The Upper deck from the opposite end to the picture above, clearly revealing the buffer stop end of the EMU terminating sidings. I will use a sponge or foam based material to create the buffer stops, and hopefully prevent damage and derailments to my units as it will not be easy to see these sidings from the control panel with a handfull of steam hauled expresses and freight trains in front !

Above. Just finished last night, is this nice empty baseboard, with a cigarette lighter strategically placed in the middle. As the Digital camera refused to focus on any part of the plain wood, but did focus on the lighter ! Pretty boring this baseboard as it will just have 16 straight tracks across it, about 34 yards of Peco that is.   

post-29782-0-13636900-1492921743_thumb.j

Above: One of my ancient old Wills kit T9 4-4-0's (30338), which I estimate to be around 40 years old. This one having been through my workshops, for a serious "tart up", and now sporting almost as much detail as my Hornby T9's. After her little effort last week struggling up the long 1 in 100 gradient (see previous post) she's now making some rather nasty noises, so is getting a helping hand from a new Bachmann E4 0-6-2T, which was also a little noisy for a few minutes having not been run it.

post-29782-0-47780300-1492922263_thumb.j

Above: A closer view of the T9, which reveals the added Firebox top pipework, brake and injector equipment between the driving wheels. Fallplate between loco and tender, and reduced gap. Just visible under the fallplate is the extra pick up wiring to all the tender wheels. The totally rebuilt tender chassis which was two bogies in the original kit, and now rebuilt as one chassis as per the prototype. At the rear of the tender behind the rear axle, the distinctive vacuum cylinder on these Drummond water-cart tenders, which I used to form a coupling pocket for the Kadee coupling. 

post-29782-0-66670300-1492926815_thumb.j

Above: Another shot of my T9 4-4-0 30338, which was a Nine Elms (70A) loco, until banished to Exmouth Junction (72A) in  May 1959, where it remained until withdrawn in April 1961.

post-29782-0-36105400-1492927088_thumb.j

Above: A last shot for this post, of the new Bachmann E4 0-6-2T 2P2F. This loco, number 32505 was actually shedded at Basingstoke (70D) in the late 1950's, despite being an (R. Billington) LBSCR design, until withdrawn in March 1961.

BASINGSTOKE 1958-67

2-5-17 This Weeks Contestants !

post-29782-0-84171200-1493703409_thumb.j

Above: The Contestants lined up at the start line.

This weeks story begins with the problems of “Cola Blanca”. Or PVA glue in English. What I had failed to remember is that anything Spanish probably works in a way you least expect !

post-29782-0-65131900-1493702138_thumb.j

Above: Bachmann BR Standard 4 2-6-0 76053. Better than expected result ! 

Indeed I had discovered that although the glue bottles clearly state “Rapido”, this glue is anything but rapid and doesn’t want to dry at temperatures under 15C. It often took as long as 24hrs to dry, earlier this year when the weather was still cold. What I hadn’t realised is this wicked concoction also causes serious temporary warpage of wood. A 2 metre long strip of 12mm thick plywood, that I glued 5mm cork too. Had warped throughout its length overnight, so that the middle stood 100mm (4 inches) proud of the table the wood had been left on. A further 24 hours resulted in the warpage decreasing to around 5mm over the 2 metre length !

post-29782-0-77795900-1493702041_thumb.j

Above: Hornby West Country 34051 "Winston Churchill". Right up to expectations. 

My plan last Monday was to get on and begin testing my steam locomotive fleets abilities on the 1 in 100 gradient. So I can then dismantle and rack up, those baseboards with the hill section, to make room in the workshop for further baseboard construction.  Oh dear the best laid plans of Mice and Men……..

post-29782-0-90702300-1493701911_thumb.j

Above: Bachmann N Class 2-6-0 31404. Passable results.

So the first locomotive to be tested was a new West Country Hornby model “Okehampton”. I didn’t mess around, this loco was going to haul 12 so I attached 12 and off she went. Bad move. The coaches behaved like a roller coaster, revealing strange bulges and dips in the baseboard, and the loco started wheel spinning at these points. Disaster, obviously someone had snuck into the workshop and sabotaged the layout. Now where’s my machine gun. The culprit was of course “Cola Blanca”. 

post-29782-0-49389200-1493701980_thumb.j

Above: Hornby Rebuilt West Country 4-6-2 "Okehampton". Definately a borderline case. 

It seems that as I built the gradient, very carefully to obtain a steady 1 in 100. The sections of wood across each baseboard were glued and screwed, but the screws were not driven home tightly in all cases. Deliberately, so that each section matched up exactly to the next baseboard. This it seems allowed the glue to warp the wood, at which point the glue must have set, resulting in a slight arching or dipping at various points. So most of the week was tied up, trying to rectify the problems. Track had to be lifted, complex bits of wood and packing unglued (with warm water) and then carefully rebuilt to exact measurements, so all screws could be driven home firmly. So it was Saturday before the fun could resume, and Locomotive Load tests resumed.

post-29782-0-99880700-1493701822_thumb.j

Above: Bachmann 31271 "C" Class 0-6-0. Definately a light weight.

Around 80 steam locomotives need testing, and just unpacking and repacking them in their boxes takes time. So I thought I would test around 10 locos at a time. The next problem is that a number of newer locomotives purchased since coming to Spain in 2015, where already known to be oddly weak, or at least under serious suspicion. Two changes have occurred affecting both Hornby & Bachmann models. Both companies have changed the factory used for production which has resulted in internal changes to many models. Bachmann have now started putting DCC chips into a number of steam models that previously didn’t have them. Hornby’s move has resulted in, how shall I put it, Piko style mechanisms using different motors with silly little flywheels and alterations to the chassis block as a result. The new Rebuilt West Country class “Okehampton”, already mentioned, being a good case in point. My dismal test last Monday, did reveal that this loco, despite the track problems, seemed oddly inferior. So that loco went home, where I put it on my electronic scales. This revealed that the loco as bought weighed 371g (previous locos of this type weighed about 351g at purchase). So “Okehampton” should be stronger not weaker. I used the opportunity to add more weight (35g) bringing it up to 406g !  400 grammes, I have already discovered is a rule of thumb target if the loco needs to haul 12 coaches on the gradient, but other factors can affect this…..

post-29782-0-57174900-1493702101_thumb.j

Above: Bachmann 73119 BR Standard Class 5 4-6-0 Elaine. Not quite there yet.  

A couple of other newish locos also given a perfunctory test last Monday also showed strangely weak behaviour. A new Bachmann BR Standard 5 4-6-0 73119 “Elaine”, being a good example. This is an odd loco. I discovered a small new type of blanking plate crammed into the firebox area, which had reduced the locos weight by a mere 3g over two earlier non-DCC examples. Despite that “Elaine” seemed sadly lacking as it would only pull 7 coaches up the gradient. Pretty hopeless when you understand the real BR Standard 5’s could hurry their 12 car loads up the real life, slightly steeper gradient of 1 in 90, without too much effort. “Elaine” was therefore stuffed with lead shot adding a not insignificant 38g. This brought its weight up to 313g enabling it to climb the hill with 9 on, but still one carriage less than an older version weighing 3g less. The only rational explanation for this must be either the weight is not balanced in the same way, or the actual construction methods used in the driving wheels has some effect on the locos ability to grip. For example if you fill an empty smokebox of a 4-6-0 with lead, this could actually throw weight forward onto the front bogie and reduce the weight on the drivers with negative effects. In the case of driving wheels, I have noted that until very recently Hornby’s driving wheels seemed to be finished with a beautifully smooth chromed type finish, while Bachmann ones appeared to be made as if a metal casting with a slightly pitted surface. This would in practice favour the Hornby wheel design as ensuring the tiny amount of wheel that touches the rail at any moment gets more power on the rail than a pitted one with a reduced contact area. It is also apparent that when Bachmann steam locos slip, they often make a lot more noise, and appear to also vibrate around on the rails !     

post-29782-0-37291800-1493701476_thumb.j

Above: Hornby 4965 5MT 4-6-0 "Rood Ashton Hall". As suspected a disappointment. 

So in between fixing the baseboards, I also managed to prepare certain locomotives already known to be short on haulage power with added weight. One at least already had added weight. The others were new unknown quantities, so have no added weight as yet!!! During these tests, I’m building a record of locos weight as purchased, after adding any additional weight, and what they pull before and after changes. So some results are already shown below. To improve accuracy I recently obtained a more precise set of electronic laboratory scales, as briefly referred too above.  

post-29782-0-18900900-1493701517_thumb.j

Above: Hornby 6129 Large Prairie Class 61xx 4P 2-6-2T. A pleasant surprise.

I would add here that my early impressions are already, that British outline steam could realistically do with “Traction tyres” in many cases. One thing a number of Spanish modellers have already told me, is that, Quote: “Everyone knows British models are rubbish as they won’t pull” Unquote!!! Knowing local opinion, and having been taken to all the major model shops in Catalonia, I have noticed British outline is currently conspicuous by its absence. Indeed I have only seen 1 single solitary 2nd hand British outline loco since arriving in Spain, in shops or at exhibitions. Virtually all Spanish (or German) outline steam models (apart from small 0-6-0 types) appear to be fitted with at least 2 traction tyres. This allows them to usually cope quite happily with gradients as steep as 1 in 30 hauling decent loads, as seen on a number of Spanish layouts. Maybe my layout when complete will partially dispel Spanish opinion. However and conversely there was, and maybe still is, a British modellers opinion that Traction tyres cause problems. If this opinion is still prevalent, then Hornby and others may be reluctant to add such items unless absolutely unavoidable. Which moves us conveniently onto the next paragraph.    

post-29782-0-34182100-1493701542_thumb.j

Above: Hornby 6129 Large Prairie in action with its respectable load. 

The Hornby Schools class which has (2) Traction Tyres, clearly demonstrates the large increase in Traction possible. These locos only weigh 276g, and would probably only pull at best 8 coaches up the 1 in 100 on my layout, with only 4 driving wheels and without traction tyres. With the traction tyres they are fitted with, all three locos of this type in my fleet, can happily haul 13 coaches up the gradient. This implies that two traction tyres are the equivalent of around 125-150g of extra adhesive weight, in this instant. This is based on comparison with the large Bulleid Pacific’s which need 400g or so, to haul 12 up the gradient. The other example of traction tyres on Hornby steam outline is the T9 class 4-4-0’s, which having small boilers meant extremely limited space for metal weight, where needed over the driving wheels. More about the T9’s abilities when one or more of these is tested in a future post. Most Diesel & Electric loco models being generally boxed shape, often weigh in at around 500g, with hill climbing haulage of around 15+ on a 1 in 100, so I will probably only test them at a later date just for interests sake.

post-29782-0-01991000-1493702855_thumb.j

Above: Hornby 30937 V Class 4-4-0 "Epsom". Exemplary performance.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

LOAD TEST RESULTS

The eleven locomotives tested. All over the weekend (29th/30th April) except the Schools class tested earlier, are shown in loco numerical order:

Hornby Ex GWR Hall Class 4-6-0 5MT 4965 “Rood Ashton Hall” Weight: 238g. Max load: 7

Hornby Ex GWR Large Prairie 2-6-2T 4P No: 6129. Weight: 324g. Max load: 10

Hornby Ex SR Class S15 6F 4-6-0 No: 30846. Weight 236g – 272g. Max load: 7-8

Bachmann EX SR Class LN 7P 4-6-0 No 30851 “Sir Francis Drake” Weight: 335g – 343g. Max load: 11-12

Hornby Ex SR Class V (Schools) 5P 4-4-0 No 30937 “Epsom”. Weight 276g. Max Load 13

Bachmann EX SECR Class C 2F 0-6-0 No: 31271. Weight: 197g. Max load: 5

Bachmann EX SECR Class N 4P5F 2-6-0 No 31404. Weight: 277g – 287g. Max load: 8-9

Hornby BR(SR) Class Rebuilt WC 4-6-2 7P5F No: 34013 “Okehampton”. Weight: 371g – 406g. Max load: 10-12

Hornby Ex SR Class WC 4-6-2 7P5F No 34041 “Winston Churchill”. Weight: 315g – 406g. Max load: 9-12

Bachmann BR Standard Class 5 4-6-0 5MT No: 73119 “Elaine”. Weight: 275g – 313g. Max load: 7-9

Bachmann BR Standard Class 4 2-6-0 4MT No: 76053.     Weight: 238g – 251g. Max load: 7-8

LOAD (in coaches): First 4 coaches were Hornby Maunsells. Then 3 Mk1’s & finally 5 Bulleid’s. Weight of each type was as follows: Hornby Maunsell’s 142g; Bachmann Bulleid’s 151g; Bachmann Mk1’s 162g. So the relevant weights of each maximum load, test train were as follows:  

5 coaches = 729g

6 coaches = 890g

7 coaches = 1051g

8 coaches = 1203g

9 coaches = 1355g

10 coaches = 1507g

11 coaches = 1659g

12 coaches =1811g

13 coaches = 1963g   

Notes: Weight in orange is as supplied weight. In red is weight after adding Lead shot.

Max Load in orange is as supplied. In red with added weight.

The mixed variety of coaching for the tests is intentional, because their weights are different, and mixing the test loads gives something closer to an average.     

______________________________________________________________________________________________ 

post-29782-0-87296900-1493701656_thumb.j

Above: Hornby 30846 S15 Class 6F 4-6-0 Freight loco. Not really up to its 6F rating !

HAULAGE CAPACITY COMPARISON TABLE

Based on the higher weight result where available. Each load in grams is divided by the locomotives weight.

Locos listed as above in loco numerical order.   

4965 “Hall” Class 4-6-0: 4.4g

6129 61xx Class 2-6-2T : 4.65g

30846 S15 Class 4-6-0 : 4.42g

30851 LN Class 4-6-0: 5.27g

30937 V Class 4-4-0: 7.11g

31271 C Class 0-6-0: 3.7g

31404 N Class 2-6-0: 4.72g

34013 Rebuilt WC Class 4-6-2: 4.46g

34041 WC Class 4-6-2: 4.46g

73119 BR Standard 5 4-6-0: 4.32g

76053 BR Standard 4 2-6-0: 4.79g

This table basically reveals just how strong each loco is on a more level playing field. No real surprise with the Traction tyred Schools class. Which is streets ahead of its nearest rival the Lord Nelson, which only exhibits 74% of the haulage capacity of the Schools. Proof that Traction Tyres really work I suppose. Bottom of the table is the little “C” class which will get some extra weight if I can find suitable space inside. Otherwise it will probably have to act as a shunter in one of the goods yards !

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

post-29782-0-80828800-1493701775_thumb.j

Above: Bachmann 30851 LN Class 4-6-0 7P "Sir Francis Drake". Outstanding considering age and weight. 

Further batches of locos will have to be tested shortly, as I’m only a couple of weeks away from completely filling the available space in the workshop. With just two more baseboards possible to add. Then a day or so to move everything around. Construction can then recommence on the next section to the far end of the layout. This has to include Fleet station, which is the first station North of Basingstoke on the 4 track line towards London.  This commuter station, only has platforms on the outer Slow lines, the Fast lines being platformless.  Also the seperate Reading to Basingstoke line. This has to cross from the Fiddle Yard side of the layout to the Basingstoke side on separate boards. The Reading line boards being one metre behind the 4 track mainline boards. As the Reading line is on a slowly descending gradient of about 1 in 150, from the Fiddle Yard upper deck down to Basingstoke station 10 metres away. These Reading line tracks should still be readily viewable even though they will be 2 metres from the edge of the Public side of the layout. Hopefully with no bumps and dips caused by “Cola Blanca” !

post-29782-0-73812200-1493702321_thumb.j

Above: A sideview of the Contestants posed inthe Up salisbury line Fiddle Yard.