Kitmaster coach replacement wheels

• RMweb Premium

I have a collection of Kitmaster coach kits in various states of disarray; one even had a 6-coupled chassis in it.

I would like to complete them but using modern wheels and axles to replace the 2-part originals. I tried Hornby wheels as being probably average. By themselves they have a lot of side play; I think they are 1.3mm shorter than the blunt Kitmasters.

I tried assembling them with Romford bearings, both top hat and plain. The sideframes do not come fully in with either type.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I remember the first reviews of them. The reviewer said the bogies were so good that modellers would be buying the kits just to get the bogies.

David, perhaps use replacement etched bogies from Brassmasters or MJT (Dart Castings) and glue the Kitmaster sides on to them.  Then you can use standard wheels.   Comet (now Wizard) do etched bogies with WM sides.  Bill Bedford (Eileens Emporium) does etched sprung bogies.

Simplest of all is to buy or obtain Bachmann bogies (assuming they do the right sort) and do a straight swap.

Another thought is to obtain 2mm steel rod (I got mine from a Hobby Shop) and cut it to length creating a taper with a Dremel.  Then use Hornby or whatever wheels.

You don't say what the kits are.  I've never really seen a Kitmaster coach in detail, just listing the bogie options I can think of.

John

• RMweb Premium

I have quite a few of these kits. Some have the Peco/Romford cup bearings and are fitted with Jackson wheels with round ended axles.

Now I file down the inside of the bogie frames to give room for modern wheels (Alan Gibson in my case) and Romford top hat bearings.

This gives you a smooth riding coach. As they are BR Mk1 coaches with the original BR bogie you could try fitting commonwealth bogie from Bachmann to give some variety in coaches in a rake.

Baz