Will we get New Freightliners in N?

Crepello

• RMweb Premium

Maybe Farish are keeping quiet on an N-gauge version until it's nearer production. They're a big gap in the wagon range now and badly in need of updating from the original version which is discontinued.

• RMweb Premium

FFA/FGA I assume. There are Dapol FEAs and IKAs available, as well as FIAs from Farish, KFAs coming from Revolution and KTAs from C-Rail, but they are all more recent.

I'm not so sure we'll see them shrunk myself. They're very expensive in OO, and we don't tend to see prices being much cheaper. Bachmann have been quite upfront in saying that there are wagons where the cost to do them justice in N is prohibitive (thinking IPA car carrier pairs for a start), so although long rakes would be easier to do in N I'm not sure there'll be the market.

It looks as though Peco were planning to make them about forty years ago. I'm guessing this is a pre-production model that never made it into the shops ? 

I put the photo on Flickr some time ago and surprisingly, no one has commented up to now, but if the tooling still exists today, perhaps it could be looked at once again ?  https://www.flickr.com/photos/41294071@N02/39037109161/in/photolist-22tzowe

It looks as though Peco were planning to make them about forty years ago. I'm guessing this is a pre-production model that never made it into the shops ? 

I put the photo on Flickr some time ago and surprisingly, no one has commented up to now, but if the tooling still exists today, perhaps it could be looked at once again ?  https://www.flickr.com/photos/41294071@N02/39037109161/in/photolist-22tzowe

Didn't the Collett Goods take about 30 years to be developed by Peco and we think Farish are slow, perhaps they are still developing it.

I put the photo on Flickr some time ago and surprisingly, no one has commented up to now, but if the tooling still exists today, perhaps it could be looked at once again ?  

Very interesting. I wasn't aware, so many thanks for posting. However I can't see Peco ever getting them to market - it would effectively mean producing two new bogie wagons which doesn't seem to be their bag.

I'm not so sure we'll see them shrunk myself. They're very expensive in OO, and we don't tend to see prices being much cheaper. Bachmann have been quite upfront in saying that there are wagons where the cost to do them justice in N is prohibitive (thinking IPA car carrier pairs for a start), so although long rakes would be easier to do in N I'm not sure there'll be the market.

Yep, I guess they will concentrate on wagons that won't have high retail prices due to their complexity and number of separate parts.

I'd be happy if Farish did an all new VDA & OTA aswell as the FFA/FGA.

Of course it is possible to upgrade the old Farish container flats to make them look better. Replacing the bogies with more appropriate types and fitting with smaller wheels is a start. And if it is possible to acquire a TPM upgrade kit that includes the outer end buffer beams that should ensure a pretty decent and acceptable model. Or, alternatively don't Worsley produce N gauge container flat etches?

G

• RMweb Premium

yeh I should imagine they would be popular in n as ran for quite a long time span but probably won't happen for a few years

tim

Judging by the responses to this post, maybe Bachmann should take note and capitalise on the work done in OO. Didn't they once say something about parallel ranges?

The online reaction to the price of the older Railfreight Distribution/ EWS ones in the latest catalogue probably means the market price of a brand new tool would be a big risk on the current climate. Farish are definitely playing it safe at the moment.