Parkside NB Van - Instructions

Good Morning

I'm editing my request.  Has anyone a copy of the instructions, I'm hoping it gives a guide regarding numbers

Thanks

Ernie

Original post below....

I have another Parkside Van from the ebay box that had been straightened, weighted and had a coat of un-fitted grey.  I'm hoping it will make a brother for my ex SDJR road van.

Any ideas for a suitable wagon number for this NB van.  It will have moreton brakes fitted, shoes on one side only.

post-2484-0-05009000-1523373449_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Bigbee Line

The instructions do not give numbers for the van although the illustration gives NB 21117. The numbers were apparently increased by 700,000 by the LNER. Therefore the only possible number that can be deduced is E721117.

My own model is numbered NB 2638. I believe that was because of the numberplate transfers that came with the kit. So that would become E702638.

Best I can do I'm afraid. The relevant Tatlow volume might help but I don't have a copy.

The instructions do not give numbers for the van although the illustration gives NB 21117. The numbers were apparently increased by 700,000 by the LNER. Therefore the only possible number that can be deduced is E721117.

My own model is numbered NB 2638. I believe that was because of the numberplate transfers that came with the kit. So that would become E702638.

Best I can do I'm afraid. The relevant Tatlow volume might help but I don't have a copy.

Thanks, that will do me.

I've just straightened the outlines on the black patches, so might get a chance to add some numbers this afternoon.

A quick look through my decal supply has given me E719612...

So remaining are:

Couplings to change, Rainstrips, V hangers and brake levers, might even upgrade to sprung buffers..

attachicon.gifIMG_2091 VAN.jpg

The GOOD news is that Tatlow does, indeed, list some numbers for the dia 38B van : 2633, 3940/4, 9494, 10198, 21018/43.5/117/97, 23411/53.

The BAD news is that the last was withdrawn from traffic in 1946.

Mr.T probably wasn't aware of the existence of No.19612 and its survival into BR days under Rule 1 conditions ......... but he might question whether the solebar was painted black !!?!

The GOOD news is that Tatlow does, indeed, list some numbers for the dia 38B van : 2633, 3940/4, 9494, 10198, 21018/43.5/117/97, 23411/53.

The BAD news is that the last was withdrawn from traffic in 1946.

Mr.T probably wasn't aware of the existence of No.19612 and its survival into BR days under Rule 1 conditions ......... but he might question whether the solebar was painted black !!?!

Thanks for that.  The solebar is actually still in the dark grey as purchased.  I have looked at various pictures of wooden framed wagons taken in the 1960's.  The colous of solebars varies from very little paint through to one with solebars in quite a dark grey..  I think I will weather the solebar with some chalky wash to lighten it up.

Thanks for that.  The solebar is actually still in the dark grey as purchased.  I have looked at various pictures of wooden framed wagons taken in the 1960's.  The colous of solebars varies from very little paint through to one with solebars in quite a dark grey..  I think I will weather the solebar with some chalky wash to lighten it up.

If there were any hard and fast rules governing timber solebars that late in the day they'd have been interpreted pretty flexibly ! ( In LNER days 'invariably' body colour.)

By the way, it's very unlikely any of these vans were retro-fitted with anything as modern as Morton brakes ..... virtually everything N.B.R. of this vintage retained the simple one-shoe brake to the end.

This Parkside kit was one of those originally in my range. The person who produced the injection mould tools actually  bought a full size one and the drawings were prepared from that. Pretty sure that it still had/has the single shoe brake gear. The van still exists and is currently at the Fife Heritage Railway in Kirkland Yard . It had finished it's working life with the MOD and was bought from Rosyth Dockyard in the late 60s. It went first to Lochty Private Railway (I think when the A4 was still there) and was restored to NBR livery and used for a time as their souvenir shop. On  the closure of Lochty it was stored at Methil power station (with other Lochty items) and moved to Kirkland when preservation started there. It has just had some rotten wood replaced in the underframe and the restoration should be complete by the Summer.  I will try and look in over the weekend to see if any plates are still attached.

best wishes,

Ian

This Parkside kit was one of those originally in my range. The person who produced the injection mould tools actually  bought a full size one and the drawings were prepared from that. Pretty sure that it still had/has the single shoe brake gear. The van still exists and is currently at the Fife Heritage Railway in Kirkland Yard . It had finished it's working life with the MOD and was bought from Rosyth Dockyard in the late 60s. It went first to Lochty Private Railway (I think when the A4 was still there) and was restored to NBR livery and used for a time as their souvenir shop. On  the closure of Lochty it was stored at Methil power station (with other Lochty items) and moved to Kirkland when preservation started there. It has just had some rotten wood replaced in the underframe and the restoration should be complete by the Summer.  I will try and look in over the weekend to see if any plates are still attached.

best wishes,

Ian

Ian,

Thanks for the interesting information.  My model needs to have made the early 1950's in revenue service.  My excuse is that it had some mishap in the late 30's and the damage repairs included fitting Freighter Brakes...

Regards

Ernie