Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How long should you operate

• RMweb Premium

Hi All

Today I was lucky to be a guest at Tony Wright's operating Little Bytham.

Towards the end of the operating session Tony asked was it too long? We then discussed the length operating session time. We did reach a conclusion but before I post it I would be interested in what you consider is the maximum or the ideal or whatever length of time you like to operate for. 

Now this could easily become a how long an exhibition is open thread. I think it would be best if we consider only operating at home, or at your club or around a friend's house, NOT at an exhibition.

I look forward to reading your comments.

• RMweb Gold

If you consider how long you can model for, given the external time factors of other family orientated limitations, then operating has the same set of rules.

Probably, as far as the family is concerned, you're just 'playing trains' anyway - what you're actually doing is immaterial.

However, how long you can actually operate for is very much dependent on your own boredom threshold and /or the layout itself.

A 5-3-3 inglenook can't hold the same level of interest for the same amout of time as a large, complex layout would.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Time of year can influence this - my barn is bloomin' freezin' in winter! And if you need to slip away for a cuppa or to get rid of the last one....

Peterborough North gives us a very good example of how you might do it. After all, Gilbert is operating, within the constraints of a layout that lacks a few of the original facilities, a WTT from 1958. Just one day, I think, but it is hundreds of moves. When other matters call, he seems to just down tools, and pick up again in the time-slot where he left off on the next visit. So if you like having a WTT of any sort, then that might enable you to meet work, family or personal needs, including boredom and sleep, without losing any layout value.

If WTTs are not your thing - equally valid - then running for as long as it seems fun must be the answer. But do try to maximise the operational potential - shunting those awkward sidings can actually keep the interest going long after the tail-chasing express has gone round for the umpteenth time. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

The Working Timetable for my layout is broken down into several sections; at the end of each you have to go and re-set the fiddle yard.  Most of the sections seem to last about an hour, and I usually do one then re-set the fiddle yard, then go and do something else.  The last section lasts a lot longer and I find I rarely do that all in one go.  I didn't design them to last an hour, it's just the way it's turned out, and it's not that I get fed up with operating at all but it usually seems to be time to go and do something else after that!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I used to operate a good 6-odd hours. But, that was me. Operating with the late Ian Hollis with Alkham took about 4 hours to go through the timetable. That was a full-on session. As a result, you'd get quite tired!

There are always lots of distractions: Telephone, washing up, anything where Mrs Smith sees me 'playing'.

"take the dogs out".  "Do the washing up", "Take me to the shops" ( I don't know why, she has her own broomstick). 

I'm determined that when I finally build my railway room, there will be a good lock on the inside, and a UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply).

Tea? Bring a Thermos....

Ian.

• Like 2

At home about 20-30 minutes is enough for me (or as much as I can manage with other commitments). But I have a tiny layout and I've probably done everything in that time...

When I go to a modular meeting it can take up to an hour (occasionally longer) to run one train and switch all the locations it serves, after which I need a cup of tea - especially if I've been acting as the engineer (I personally find conductor less draining). I'll run 2 or 3 trains over the course of a day at those events.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm still working on a timetable for my layout but in truth I think the biggest thing is my back and how long that will cope before it gives up the ghost as an a 12*6 shed there is not a lot of movement during operating that will keep it loose. If that wasn't a factor then for me it will be around 1 1/2 to 2 hrs.

Ideally I will come out with a way of operating that has some natural stop points so it can easily be picked up next time.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think that there is a lot of difference between operating on one's own and doing it as part of a team.

On a large complex layout with a good team, I think four hours is reasonable. After that, I would want a break before starting again.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

On a complex and intensively worked and timetabled layout, the issue will be fatigue/breakdown of concentration. On a simple one, boredom is likely to set in first.

Either way, my preferred session is about three hours with a break for tea and cakes half way through, and ideally working a different panel for the second half.

Two 2-hour sessions similarly divided would be about my limit, especially if standing up. 

The mid-session break is useful for making any necessary stock changes, too. e.g. removing loads from arrived coal wagons, taking off the inbound sleeper or other "once-a day" stock that won't be needed for a couple of operating days and putting it back on when it's time is approaching once more.

I'd suggest carrying on until you start making errors, and setting future session length to about 20 minutes less...........

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3

When I am building a layout 2-3 hours a year will do me to check that it works. When it is complete I can run trains for up to 10 hours (with bathroom and food brakes).

The timetable for my current layout is based on a 24 Hr period but most movements start at about 0500 - 0530 and die down after 23:00 with more trains running at peak times. During the night there is just a couple of freight trains plus engineering trains that aren't on the timetable. It has been designed to have 1 - 5 operators with signalling, shunting and driving trains so that everybody can do something that they enjoy and can change jobs to stop boredom. With platform alterations thrown in it could take many hours to run through that 24 Hr period but at the end of the day it comes down to rule 2 - It is a hobby, it must remain fun. If a running session is boring it is too long.

Mark

• Like 2

If you consider how long you can model for, given the external time factors of other family orientated limitations, then operating has the same set of rules.

Probably, as far as the family is concerned, you're just 'playing trains' anyway - what you're actually doing is immaterial.

However, how long you can actually operate for is very much dependent on your own boredom threshold and /or the layout itself.

A 5-3-3 inglenook can't hold the same level of interest for the same amout of time as a large, complex layout would.

We built a 5-3-3 (Ultramarine Works) and people were shocked how long you can operate an inglenook for without getting board. Each sequence would last for 10-15 minuets. There are 40,320 different combinations possible with just one loco and eight wagons so it would take 10,080 hours to complete every combination presuming it took 10 minuets or 840 12 hour days.

I would practice with it at home for hours before exhibitions, drove the wife up the wall. I have been very sneaky as I have built on into our latest exhibition layout (Lowick). Most people can't see it. It allows me to just have the centre boards up at home but more importantly it allows the other operator to have a break as you can spend a good 30 minutes shunting. I think I have shunted the sidings for about 3 hours without a break. Ironically the more you shunt the easier it seams to get. 

I have a feeling that practice will be starting again shortly as we are at the Bristol show in 3 weeks and the NEC in November.

Marc 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

A usual session on Buckingham is around 2 and a half to three hours and when all is going well it flies by.

I have had visitors who have operated for around 6 hours with a meal break and tea breaks.

The more challenging and interesting the layout is to operate, the longer a session can be without boredom setting in.

A friend has a layout which is very complex and interesting to run and he had a sequence running to around 200 moves. Some trains ran several times. He found that nobody could maintain interest long enough to get more than one third through it so he now has a much more punchy sequence where each train runs once there and once back. It can be got through in around 4 hours and it's great fun.

Without a break, I would struggle to do more than the regular two and a half to three hours session.

I have operated some layouts which do not have enough happening to keep me occupied or interested and on those, half an hour is enough.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

There are a lot of factors at play here.  My layout is permanently erected and the trains are stored on it ready to go, so I can start or finish at a moment's notice at any time I want; it is within the living area of my home and environmental factors such as temperature and humidity do not have to be considered, and the room is relatively dust free, so more or less no preparation is needed for a running session and I can just pick up the controller and go.

My layout is a small but intensively worked BLT designed for single handed working, based loosely on Abergwynfi in South Wales.  Larger more complex layouts may need several operators to be fully exploited for operating potential, and unless some degree of automation is used are too much for a solitary operator; the logistics of this will restrict opportunities to operate.  

I can only speak for myself, of course, but the instant availability of the layout means that I can use several different methods of operating.  I run to a sequence based on a version of Abergwynfi's 1960 WTT adapted to my needs and extended to include pickup and parcels as well as the workmen's, passenger, and coal traffic.  By sequence I mean running around or shunting to time, but condensing the 'dead' periods between activity; a day takes about 3 hours and shunting the pickup between passenger services can be a challenge, particularly if loco hauled stock that has to be run around is involved.  I have been doing this for about a year now and am nowhere near being bored with it, and doubt I ever will be; there is starting to be a nice feeling of normality to it now, and I can alway throw in a hot axlebox or failed auto gear necessitating a run around, or the pick up loco needing to top it's tanks in the platform, to upset things at will.

But I rarely operate a full session at once; it is more likely to be an hour or so at a time.  I have a partner whose needs must be taken into account, and while this is my main hobby it is not my only one!  On top of that, life has to be catered for, shopping, household chores, tv, and so on.  And I like to go out for a beer now and then as well.  Operating tends to occur in bursts of about an hour, interspersed with cups of tea and the above mentioned duties and pleasures (and I occasionally need to cook and eat as well), but I have been known to spend an evening watching tv and doing the next movement on the layout during the adverts...

Actual modelling, sometimes with operating sessions in between short bursts of it, is another thing; about 40 minutes of close work is as much as eyes, hands, and neck can cope with nowadays, feeble old curmudgeon that I am.  Satisfying though it usually is unless I mess something up, it is something I find tough going, and cannot do it for long periods.  The 40 minutes must be followed by a minimum of an hour before I go back to it.

I have learned the hard way to put a strict curfew on operating and especially on modelling.  11pm and I will call it a day no matter how I am feeling; I feel the benefit the following day!  Things tend to get a bit obsessive if I carry on later than this.

• Like 4

In my case not as long, or as often, as I thought I would before I had a layout.

A winter Sunday afternoon is the most likely time, the longest operating session would probably be 90 minutes,

but more likely to be 30-40 minutes on my glorified shunting plank,

cheers 

• Like 1

On Southwark Bridge we have two sessions of 2½ - 3 hours with a 1½ pub lunch in the middle. There is room for 16 people (plus the box dog) in the shed. There are 10 positions so some doubling up and swapsies goes on. But "A" box arrivals and Crows Nest are both pretty full on.

Bill

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

As long as it's

a: Interesting

b: Not tiring

c: you're having fun (and this is usually fulfilled by the first two)

d: You're not harming small innocent animals

Who cares?

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 4

On a one man layout, I'm not sure I'd want to go much more than 90 minutes without any break - because you're doing everything, all the time, and talking to the punters on top.

In principle a large multi-operator layout should be easier, because there are natural pauses while someone else is doing something, so 2-3 hours without a formal break might be possible

The boxfile takes 50-60 minutes to work through the shunting puzzle. You don't want to do it twice on the trot. When Blacklade has been to shows we've worked one hour on /one hour off

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

On a one man layout, I'm not sure I'd want to go much more than 90 minutes without any break - because you're doing everything, all the time, and talking to the punters on top.

In principle a large multi-operator layout should be easier, because there are natural pauses while someone else is doing something, so 2-3 hours without a formal break might be possible

The boxfile takes 50-60 minutes to work through the shunting puzzle. You don't want to do it twice on the trot. When Blacklade has been to shows we've worked one hour on /one hour off

No need to talk the punters - the OP specifically asks about non-exhibition layouts.

We once did a through the night "playing trains". Just because we could. With allowances for PNBs of course.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2