CPC Barclay.

post-17261-0-69339200-1523634201_thumb.jpgpost-17261-0-52329900-1523634341_thumb.jpg

Got the email off Hattons, my Corn Products Barclay is coming.

Have two shots from circa 1973 of the real beast.

Photo of photo again.

I've had a major battle getting stuff right on a gallery of mine with CPC shots on it.

Have a look and see if you can make the beggar work!!!!!I am going to get a scanner this weekend and get this stuff uploaded properly.

Anyway, hope these are of some use.

Main thing, the crew must have white boiler suits and wellies!!

Chris.

• Like 7

Oh and don't forget the plastic tub with sand in it on the footplate as well!!!

Spot the rebuilt north eastern 21t hopper. 

In fact the whole shot is a who's who of Parkside hopper kits!!!

Ah, and I was taking shots of steam!!!

Who amongst us has solid gold in the background of shots we took for another subject?

Chris.

• RMweb Premium

I'd wondered what CPC stood for until now, thanks. Any connection with the Kellogg's Cornflakes factory at Trafford Park or is that too obvious?

Dava

I'd wondered what CPC stood for until now, thanks. Any connection with the Kellogg's Cornflakes factory at Trafford Park or is that too obvious?

Dava

No. 

Corn Products made various things. Some of which were quite unpleasant. Acids etc.

That was the excuse used when permission was refused for a site visit.

Kellogg's was and is on the other side of the estate by Barton Dock road.

Ship Canal Railway locomotives shunted the Kellogg's yard.

Get a pair of Hornby MSC liveried Sentinels and some Bachmann VDA's and you've got the stock to play trains.

Oh yes, Kellogg's had a tractor, a Ford, I . think, with buffing beams, to move wagons around. Ironic, considering the Massey Ferguson tractor plant was next door!!!

I was in and out of Trafford Park often in the 80's but I can't remember seeing any stock etc. on the lines leading to Cerestar.  That shot is excellent, I've driven up and down that road quite often.

I was in and out of Trafford Park often in the 80's but I can't remember seeing any stock etc. on the lines leading to Cerestar.  That shot is excellent, I've driven up and down that road quite often.

That may be because there was a decline in traffic in the 80s, but then in the 1989 they improved/revised some of the trackwork to try and increase traffic which had some positive effect for a few years at least.

My Hattons CPC Barclay arrived today.

Nice!!

I'm going to have to weather it, too clean!!!

Crew in white boiler suits and that plastic container of sand on the footplate!!!

The other thing that is clear, what a beast the Kingdom Kits Barclay is!! She was painted in CPC livery by my mate Mike 25 odd years ago!!

I know, I know, totally the wrong model of Barclay!!! but the only game in town at that time!!!!

I can see Manchester Steel getting a really butch addition to its fleet !!

Repaint job!!!

By the way, the Hattons loco runs like a sewing machine!!

Chris.

I very nearly bought CPC in the early 90s when she was based at Foxfield. She was brought to the railway by Peter Froud who saved her when CPC disposed of her and, on his death, his widow was looking to dispose of the loco. I made an offer but couldn't quite raise the amount required. She wasn't in the best of health, badly worn valves and bent valve spindles meant she sounded like an asthmatic bulldog and was always short of steam. Now running as Spitfire on the Lincolnshire Wolds Railway.

• Like 1

I built that Kingdom Kits Barclay too, although it took 10-15 years to build up the courage to tackle it ! How far we have come......

Took me longer!  But it all worked out in the end.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106477-another-one-started-kingdom-kits-barclay-16/?hl=%2Bkingdom+%2Bkits+%2Bbarclay

And his DJH stablemate.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/119789-and-yet-another-barclay/?hl=%2Bkingdom+%2Bkits+%2Bbarclay&do=findComment&comment=2619327

Edited by 5050

I very nearly bought CPC in the early 90s when she was based at Foxfield. She was brought to the railway by Peter Froud who saved her when CPC disposed of her and, on his death, his widow was looking to dispose of the loco. I made an offer but couldn't quite raise the amount required. She wasn't in the best of health, badly worn valves and bent valve spindles meant she sounded like an asthmatic bulldog and was always short of steam. Now running as Spitfire on the Lincolnshire Wolds Railway.

Thanks for that information.

I knew she had been preserved, but didn't know where.

I had some damn good times on that locomotive, the crews were always great. I think they were chuffed somebody was taking an interest in their steed!!

Chris.