Replacement motor for Hornby Duke of Gloucester

JayDee

I have a 3 year old Hornby Duke of Gloucester that needs a new motor.  It is a X6595  (motor with worm gear and flywheel).  Hornby have said it is no longer available and I cannot find any resellers with stock.

Can anyone suggest a suitable replacement?  I am prepared to do some mods to the D of G chassis and fit the worm gear and flywheel off the old motor,  but the motor needs to be pretty much the same size  i.e it still needs to fit inside the body of the loco.

The Flying Scotsman X6331 motor looks the same motor but with the flywheel and worm gear on the opposite ends of the shaft.  But same story here  "no longer in production and no stock available".    Pretty shameful really.

Ideally I'd like to find a better quality motor. 

Hi Mersey507003,,

Thank you so much for your informative reply.  It's really appreciated.!.  I have tracked down an X9108 motor and placed it on order with a supplier. 

I also had a look at the related You Tube links and it certainly looks like an improvement. Pity about no flywheel,  but seeing as I am using DCC I may look at using a Stay Alive or ESU Power pack to overcome slow speed "hiccups" over insulfrog points.  I have pretty much converted over to electrofrog but there are some legacy tight radius sections with turnouts where I can't really change them.

However,  one point to note is that even the X9108 is now also "discontinued - no longer in production - no longer available"  according to Hornby's web site.  Same as many other of their motors.  But they don't offer any alternate replacement. ........

Again,  hopefully I'm "sorted"  for at least this Hornby Loco.  Many thanks.

There is a opening here for an enterprising soul who can scour the service sheets then catalogue and rationalise the Hornby (and maybe others) range of can motors, then abridge the range, source replacements from a good reliable manufacturer and remarket them in UK telling of which original motor they replace.

I would suggest a max of 16 motor types would fill the need, Long and short, fat and slim, single and double ended shaft. I.e. 2 x squared - squared. Unless anyone can see a better categorisation of types.

One would then have to swap over the original worm/gear and/or flywheel to the new motor, requiring a suitable tool(s).

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

There is a opening here for an enterprising soul who can scour the service sheets then catalogue and rationalise the Hornby (and maybe others) range of can motors, then abridge the range, source replacements from a good reliable manufacturer and remarket them in UK telling of which original motor they replace.

I would suggest a max of 16 motor types would fill the need, Long and short, fat and slim, single and double ended shaft. I.e. 2 x squared - squared. Unless anyone can see a better categorisation of types....

Something like the Germans already do, with coreless replacements for almost anything.

Something like the Germans already do, with coreless replacements for almost anything.

Hornby motors conspicuous by their absence.

Rob

PS I am slowly trawling all Hornby service sheets to make a spreadsheet of motor types versus locos and then I may look toward identifying and sourcing a viable alternative and user serviceable motor.

Rob

• Like 1

Some Hornby types are on ebay  but not under Hornby .The Chinese sell them and some other motors from European trains .Try typing in "small 12 volt motor" and scour the listings .Others will doubtless be more precise than my general ramblings .

• 6 months later...