Tornado fails on ECML

• RMweb Gold

Twenty year old castings are still twenty years old. Just by existing they are being effected by atmospheric conditions. As soon as it's made it's deteriorating.

Jason

Look out for 66s, 67s, 91s et al disintegrating somewhen soon then...

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Twenty year old castings are still twenty years old. Just by existing they are being effected by atmospheric conditions. As soon as it's made it's deteriorating.

Jason

No , some case harden with time.. and if you think 20 years is a long time look at some of the bridges in Britain, or any of Combat Vehicles (Tracked), or Warrior AFVs.

I am sure this will properly investigated and fixed by trained people who know what to look for and how to avoid it happening again.

Baz

Edited by Barry O

• RMweb Gold

I still am not sure why they don't use Sundays for these 'extra specials'.

I'd guess for the same reason I seldom go far by train on Sundays. Almost certain to be disrupted by engineering somewhere........ 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

I wasn't suggesting it had failed due to the age or standard of material. Just the fact that material deteriorates with age. Put it outside for a few years if you want to test it out. ;)

I was just pointing out the fact that it is mostly over twenty years old and not "new". In fact it's existed longer than all the Peppercorn A1s and A2s from start of construction until scrapping, apart from Blue Peter.

Started in 1994. That's actually less than ten years younger than all these "ancient" Pacers I keep hearing about....

Jason

• RMweb Premium

I wasn't suggesting it had failed due to the age or standard of material. Just the fact that material deteriorates with age. Put it outside for a few years if you want to test it out. ;)

I was just pointing out the fact that it is mostly over twenty years old and not "new". In fact it's existed longer than all the Peppercorn A1s and A2s from start of construction until scrapping, apart from Blue Peter.

Started in 1994. That's actually less than ten years younger than all these "ancient" Pacers I keep hearing about....

Jason

Jason, the A1 project may have 'started' in 1994, however it was gradual development of planning, funding and then construction of 'parts' as funding allowed and the actual loco didn't really get anywhere near completion until 2007/2008 with the birthday being late 2008 when it first moved under its' own steam.. 

Peppercorns loco's would have been built in monthsin the late 40s and so even the youngest would have been a teenager when scrapped. Tornado as a 'live loco' is just 9..  

Phil

Looks like if that had gone in other places like under the wheels could have caused utter devastation.

You would be surprised how well the wheels find the rails again after going airborne.

• Like 2

First, I would expect the RAIB to be involved, in which case we will not hear anything definitive for some time.

Second, I would be pretty certain that the bits that appear in the photograph are the consequence of the failure, not the cause. Were I to be investigating, and as an ex-Rolling Stock engineer I have done my fair share of failure investigation, I would be looking very closely at the part of the combination lever that is still attached to the engine and the associated parts of the motion.

Beyond that, the only people who are in a position to piece together what has happened are the few who have responsibility for conducting the investigations and who have access to the locomotive.

Jim

66106 was seen rushing south at Retford from Donny yesterday and speculation had it as a Thunderbird. 

Sorry but I CBA to go and see the 'remains' of the train Down in the p.m and Up in the late afternoon.

Quick thanks to roythebus for posting here rather than in Preservation. I have this thing about Tornado being talked about in 'preservation. It is a new locomotive not a preserved/restored item.

I suspected it might go to The NVR as it is so handy for Peterborough. I await the news as to how this happened and in a way I hope it was from an external source and not a stress failure of the loco part(s) involved especially if the part was 'mine'.

Such a huge shame as it could well, as mentioned, put the mockers on high speed running on the ECML.

I still am not sure why they don't use Sundays for these 'extra specials'.

Good luck A1ST 

Phil

Railway replacement buses can't do 90mph is the simple answer. :)

Of course the Deltics never suffered the equivalent failure of putting a rod out of the crank case did they? happens that sometimes shouldn't happen and no doubt steps will be taken to find out why.

My contact is a manager at my local steam railway and is one of the top bods with the A1 Trust, so quite a reliable source.

• Like 2

So not even genuine, but forgings? No wonder it failed!

Sir, do you know what you're talking about? A forging is inherently stronger than a casting. Any machining performed on the forging, as long as it was in accordance with good machining practices, would not intrinsically weaken the forging. The purpose of machining would be to bore/ drill holes for locating pins, etc.

Davey

• RMweb Gold

Sir, do you know what you're talking about? A forging is inherently stronger than a casting. Any machining performed on the forging, as long as it was in accordance with good machining practices, would not intrinsically weaken the forging. The purpose of machining would be to bore/ drill holes for locating pins, etc.

Davey

It's just possible that you might have missed the irony about the iron here...

• RMweb Premium

I can just see a journo from the the national press reading through the thread looking for background info.

Tomorrows headline will along the lines of 'Steam trains to be banned after Britain's newest loco breaks down due to fake parts'

Dave

As to old locomotives on our main lines a pair of fifty year old class 50's ran from Birmingham to Carlisle and back yesterday, 2 minutes early on the return run passing Boars Head Wigan. The train looked quite grand in BR Blue / Grey.

post-6884-0-33063100-1523728556_thumb.jp

I'm sure the Tornado incident will be quite thoroughly investigated and subsequent repairs duly made. She will be back on the main line (I hope) soon. Perhaps 75 MPH is fast enough. What speed are preserved diesels (as above) allowed to run at ?

Brit15

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

As to old locomotives on our main lines a pair of fifty year old class 50's ran from Birmingham to Carlisle and back yesterday, 2 minutes early on the return run passing Boars Head Wigan. The train looked quite grand in BR Blue / Grey.

post-6884-0-33063100-1523728556_thumb.jp

I'm sure the Tornado incident will be quite thoroughly investigated and subsequent repairs duly made. She will be back on the main line (I hope) soon. Perhaps 75 MPH is fast enough. What speed are preserved diesels (as above) allowed to run at ?

Brit15

Not sure if all preserved diesels run at design speed but I had the pleasure of driving Deltic 9 at 100mph last year

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

And if I were in their shoes that is what I would say too.

If it was speed related they would not say that as it would be found out later. Thetefore I believe them that it was not speed related. Edited by Colin_McLeod