Bickersleigh Colliery in 00, a north western scene

Allegheny1600

Hi All,
May I introduce my club's (Leigh MRS) layout, Bickersleigh Colliery!?!
This layout was originally started as an EM gauge layout and was progressing nicely, several years ago.
The baseboards had been built and the track built and laid, ballasted even though that was not without its problems as at one point we discovered one section of track was shorting out. After numerous headaches and much testing, a happy accident found it was the ballast itself that was causing the short! There was much fettling of track and wiring when for various reasons (not these incidents!) certain members moved on leaving the society without any members actively modelling in that particular scale/gauge.
It was felt beyond the realms of possibility or reason for some or any of the members to convert from 00 gauge modelling so the decision was taken to rip up the EM gauge and relay everything with 00 using standard Peco components so that all the remaining members could get involved.
While this was going on, the opportunity was taken to extend the scope of the layout’s operation somewhat to make it more realistic in operation and more entertaining for the viewer.
Here are a couple of views;

Overall view of the layout
36538472766_bcc0772de4_c.jpg

Long view
35749587094_ebdb45f56b_c.jpg

Father & son team shunting
36538470146_96bd1869da_c.jpg

I shall return in due course with more on the story.
Cheers,
John.

• Like 7

Hi All,
A brief continuation of the story;

The layout has been exhibited in an unfinished state at our own exhibition a couple of times but after the last exhibition, we decided to enhance the appearance of the layout even further. By this time several members had made a return to the society and new members had appeared so the society was becoming much healthier than at it’s lowest point. So, with a number of members who knew little about the mining industry, a fact finding trip was undertaken to Caphouse Colliery, the National Mining Museum over in Yorkshire. This was a great day out, many photos were taken and we learned an awful lot about how a colliery was operated, the why’s and wherefores and also, the “feel” of the place.

Photos;
Caphouse Colliery
27734361456_1549771a39_c.jpg

The “Hornby” pithead, we decided to build our own!
27490170360_6bb6c5805f_c.jpg

This is better,
27694177041_d19b2ced91_c.jpg

We need (at least!) one of these,
27667965532_362d0139d9_c.jpg

We’re working on something similar to this,
27768458665_c32bd17564_c.jpg

These are a “must”
27694234091_689b0931da_c.jpg

If you wish, you may 'click' any of the above photos which should take you to my Flickr photo album for that day.
Until next time,
John.

• Like 3

Now to bring the story almost up to date,
One thing we did discover was that we needed a greater number of buildings of suitable style so some members set to and started scratch building these as well as modifying older models to suit.
The track plan was slightly modified to enhance operations, the fascia was improved by our new electrician, Craig to show the layout in an interesting light, Steve (our chairman) painted up a really nice new backscene, Roy and Darren have built some lovely miners cottages - most members have actively contributed something and that helps bind a club or society together.
The layout appeared at our annual exhibition on 2/3 September 2017 but it still needs additional features adding. These will feature some things that are rarely seen on a layout so we think you will find the layout has some changes of interest each time you see it.

Miners cottages coming along
35791587144_c1f1842600_c.jpg

A handy pub
35791586174_9c5962a2a7_c.jpg

Pithead coming along
35791588174_c225b8b7c0_c.jpg

Mine managers office (under construction!)
36488596711_2c73d5edfb_c.jpg

More soon!

Edited by Allegheny1600
  • Like 6

Hi All,

A brief continuation of the story;

The layout has been exhibited in an unfinished state at our own exhibition a couple of times but after the last exhibition, we decided to enhance the appearance of the layout even further. By this time several members had made a return to the society and new members had appeared so the society was becoming much healthier than at it’s lowest point. So, with a number of members who knew little about the mining industry, a fact finding trip was undertaken to Caphouse Colliery, the National Mining Museum over in Yorkshire. This was a great day out, many photos were taken and we learned an awful lot about how a colliery was operated, the why’s and wherefores and also, the “feel” of the place.

Photos;

Caphouse Colliery27734361456_1549771a39_c.jpg

The “Hornby” pithead, we decided to build our own!27490170360_6bb6c5805f_c.jpg

This is better,27694177041_d19b2ced91_c.jpg

We need (at least!) one of these,27667965532_362d0139d9_c.jpg

We’re working on something similar to this,27768458665_c32bd17564_c.jpg

These are a “must”27694234091_689b0931da_c.jpg

If you wish, you may 'click' any of the above photos which should take you to my Flickr photo album for that day.

Until next time,

John.

You are blessed in that Bickershaw is a very photographed colliery and will give a good feel for the Lancashire coalfield.

The loss of knowledge is a real problem. So pleased that a trip to God's own county proved helpful. Now, back to the "Hornby" pithead. How many people can describe and explain the structure in less than 50 words?

• Like 2

Without causing any neighborhood squabbles , that looks absolutely brilliant gents,

I am just about to make a start on a small colliery ( modellers licence invoked here) attached to my Wigan Wallgate layout  :O ,

I had a similar 'shorting' incident many years ago with ballast that I got for free, no wonder really  when it turned out to have a significant quantity of cast iron dust in it! I wondered why it had weathered itself almost overnight , it had gone rusty due to the traditional method of adhering it in place being involved.

Great stuff,

Kevan

• RMweb Premium

Many years ago we used some shot blasting dust to ballast part of our club layout (Leeds Victoria - if anyone remembers it). We used it on the ashpit road, it took so much current out of the track that it glowed gently in the dark.

You will know where to come for the Hunslet 0-6-0DH.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Many years ago we used some shot blasting dust to ballast part of our club layout (Leeds Victoria - if anyone remembers it). We used it on the ashpit road, it took so much current out of the track that it glowed gently in the dark.

You will know where to come for the Hunslet 0-6-0DH.

Marvellous on a steelworks layout with slag loading sidings!!!

I'll get my coat!!!!

Chris.

I love this layout which is local to me, i've seen it a few times at the local shows. It takes me back to being a kid and messing about down Bolton House Rd. and Plank Ln. and in the fields beside the colliery lines at Bickershaw and watching those lovely filthy saddle tanks.   :)

• Like 1

This is the era and the area and the lads i messed about with and went to School with, we kept clear of these lads most of the time especially when they had the guns out,  :jester: I remember how funny it was when this was on TV that it needed subtitles to understand our local accent. :mosking: .The saddle tanks come in at about 13 mins' 

Thanks, Bob!

An intriguing film and lovely to see this area as it was then. I wonder where those guys are now?

I would have absolutely loved to have seen Bickershaw in its heyday, sadly at this time, I was a native of Derby and didn't emigrate north until the early part of the new century. I did see all the spoil tips and did a bit of mountain biking over them, plus I remember the old buildings around the 'swing bridge' - all so different now of course.

To my wife's shame(!), we live on a lane that indicates a woman of low morality but really is named after those waste tips! I'm sure the censor will object if I name it though!

Please feel free to drop into our clubrooms anytime you may feel like a visit!

Cheers,

John.

• Like 1

Thanks John i would love to see the club rooms one day, so it's Slag Ln. then......it must be Byrom Hall  :jester: Sorry tale about one of the lads who has since passed away, two are still going strong though, t'was a bit like the wild west around here if you got caught by the wrong gang on 'their' part of the fields. :jester: Was a totally different era/atmospere back then, not sure if the new 'Yuppy' flats and marina that's now on there is real progress, it do'snt help the room we now have on our local roads or in the Schools either, it's just more rent and taxes payable to Wigan MBC :threaten:

• Like 1

so it's Slag Ln. then......it must be Byrom Hall  :jester:

You're quite right. Blimey, I'm surprised it didn't come up as a load of ####

Byrom Hall - I wish! Ha, ha, ha! What a layout you could build in that place.

I pass those 'yuppie' flats on my way into Leigh to visit the club and the folk who drive in and out of there , . . . . well, I better say nowt. Suffice to say, speed limits to do apply to them!

• Like 1

Not sure if any Leigh club members remember around ten years back or so? when you held the annual show at Westleigh High School? I came along and asked and was then allowed by the club to put my code 3 repainted Leigh Corporation '00' scale buses and some old Leigh bus pics' on show in glass cases at the entrance to the show, :)  i also showed my small '00' collection of repainted saddle tanks, all were Hornby made and painted into the old Bickershaw liveries and names. All locos have since been sold off to pay the bills but i do still have the buses and the 'King Street bus station' layout i built to show them on, if you ever need it for a show just let me know.   :)

Some Bick' pics' 

post-31611-0-57881200-1525250668_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-15087100-1525250728_thumb.jpg

Not sure if any Leigh club members remember around ten years back or so? when you held the annual show at Westleigh High School? I came along and asked and was then allowed by the club to put my code 3 repainted Leigh Corporation '00' scale buses and some old Leigh bus pics' on show in glass cases at the entrance to the show, :)  i also showed my small '00' collection of repainted saddle tanks, all were Hornby made and painted into the old Bickershaw liveries and names. All locos have since been sold off to pay the bills but i do still have the buses and the 'King Street bus station' layout i built to show them on, if you ever need it for a show just let me know.   :)

Some Bick' pics' 

attachicon.gif1-3-2018_062.JPG

attachicon.gif1-3-2018_068.JPG

Great photo of He 3776 "resplendent" in it's BBC #7 livery for the 1978 "Hills of Heaven" movie. Much of this was shot around Bickershaw colliery.

Does anyone know why He 3168 aka S134 and later "Wheldale" was taken out of store, given an identical paint job and used to film some sequences on the stump of the Methley Joint at Newmarket?

The beeb must have had a huge budget for a long forgotten childrens tv programme, or, did the NCB pick up the tab as a PR exercise?

Continuity anoraks could have had a field day as "#7" gained and lost a kypor chimney!

3168 retained this livery through to its much photographed final fling at Wheldale in 1981/2.

This little story has fascinated me for years, can anyone shed a bit more light?

• Like 2