Playing music at exhibitions - is it a good idea?

It seems to me that, if you have a layout set in a specific time period then maybe quietly playing music of the era in the background at an exhibition might add to the overall atmosphere of the layout. Just wondering what others think?

I think the music would need to be sufficiently quiet to not annoy neighbouring exhibits.

I think there would need to be a check that the venue has a licence for playing music; I know the NEC hasn't and it would be expensive for an exhibition to buy a licence. 

Is there anything else that needs to be considered?

Would there be no point because if the music is at a level that doesn't annoy other exhibitors would it be too quiet for visitors to notice?

Is this just a bad idea or might it work? What do exhibition visitors think?

One potential problem is that we would all like to hear the music we like but not the music we don't like.

Edited by Chris M

This has come up before.  My suggestion that operations on Clutton should be accompanied by Adge Cutler and the Wurzels was not received as warmly [or, in that part of the world, Warmley] as I had hoped.

Seriously (?) though, it depends on the music and the volume at which it is played.  The risk of upsetting the neighbours is very, very high.  Think for a moment how intrusive some sound effects are.  I have in mind a layout which goes 'bing bong' every few minutes and would lead to someone being strangled it were next to me.  That said, I sometimes think that a selection of contemporary music would help to define the era in which the layout is set.   How about "Johnny Remember Me" for 1961?

Chris

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Ian Futers used to play the piano at York shows, often accompanied by Mike Cook on his squeeze-box as well as various guitarists and vocalists of diverse ability. On one memorable occasion the ensemble was augmented by various bird calls including a duck and a nightingale.

However, I suspect that this is not quite what you had in mind...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It seems to me that, if you have a layout set in a specific time period then maybe quietly playing music of the era in the background at an exhibition might add to the overall atmosphere of the layout. Just wondering what others think?

I think the music would need to be sufficiently quiet to not annoy neighbouring exhibits.

I think there would need to be a check that the venue has a licence for playing music; I know the NEC hasn't and it would be expensive for an exhibition to buy a licence. 

Is there anything else that needs to be considered?

Would there be no point because if the music is at a level that doesn't annoy other exhibitors would it be too quiet for visitors to notice?

Is this just a bad idea or might it work? What do exhibition visitors think?

One potential problem is that we would all like to hear the music we like but not the music we don't like.

HI,

As an exhibitor then I say a big no and the reason is whilst as a member of the public stands there for say 10 - 15 mins whilst you have this music playing, the next door exhibitor(s) has to put up with it for 7/8 hours a day for two days with the same music playing as im sure nobody would take enough music to play for the whole day with out a repeat song.

I have done shows with music being played and the best thing I can liken it to is water torture. One show i was next to a circus themed layout and every 15mins the band use to start, followed by a whole array of animal noises so its put me right off.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I recall exhibiting a club layout at one of the last Imrex's some 30 years back, either adjacent to or opposite us was a German-outline layout playing 'Oompah' music (or should that be 'music'? xD )  fairly loudly. After 5 days, it was rather tiresome, to say the least. There were mutterings among my fellow operators about wielding the side cutters one morning...

I have considered modelling a music festival with lights and music in a corner of a layout, but the thought of painting 10000 figures put me off.

Music is such a subjective topic and the fact that you'd need to play it fairly loudly to overcome the general hubbub of an exhibition hall... that'll be a 'NO' from me, pet.

• Like 2

We don't have music but we do have sounds of weather, running water and bird song which is computer controlled so we can change the sounds over the day. I have some locos fitted with DDC sound and the overall effect gives it an other dimension. For our layout music would not really appropriate but if you have layout were music might be heard then why not.

Marc

• RMweb Premium

No!

As others have pointed out whats good for some is bad for others . I can vaguely remember a layout that used to do rounds in Scottish circuit that had a bandstand so they did piped band music .....extremely annoying ! I really don't see why people need to put music to everything.

So you spend a four figure sum on equipping your fleet with the latest all singing sound chips and.........

There I an opinion that some shows are already too noisy. Whilst each layout might try and keep their sound level sensible, the overall effect in a large hall is cacophony.

Shared venues create their own issues, anybody else remember Sunday morning dancercise at Wakefield?

A better idea would be one of those acoustic systems that plays a particular high pitched frequency that is aimed at loitering teenagers (described by the human-rights campaign group Liberty as a “sonic weapon")

Could someone develop one that could only be heard by those wearing overly huge rucksacks or with questionable hygiene routines?

I think I also have to fit into the 'no' camp.  As an adjacent exhibitor, I'm sure that I would get tired of your choice of songs over a weekend, as my preference, 1980s onwards (preferably rock or metal) would not fit with a steam era layout.  I model the post privatisation period and these tend to be the layouts that I gravitate towards as a spectator, but that doesn't mean I want to hear relatively contemporary music.  Whilst there is some contemporary music I like, there is some I definitely don't.

I can also be attracted to the craftsmanship of a 1930s LNER branch line that portrays an era long before I was born, but if it was blaring out 1930s big band music, I can't see me wanting to watch the operator shunt the yard for very long.  I'd have to say that music would detract from what may be an otherwise nice layout to watch.

Edited by Dungrange

• RMweb Premium

If you had a snow themed layout next to you, could you tolerate Bing Crosby's 'White Christmas' being played?

Consider how you you would feel. 

Perhaps it would be acceptable if you played music, perhaps for 5 minutes per hour.

• RMweb Premium

I recall exhibiting a club layout at one of the last Imrex's some 30 years back, either adjacent to or opposite us was a German-outline layout playing 'Oompah' music (or should that be 'music'? xD )  fairly loudly. After 5 days, it was rather tiresome, to say the least. There were mutterings among my fellow operators about wielding the side cutters one morning...

I have considered modelling a music festival with lights and music in a corner of a layout, but the thought of painting 10000 figures put me off.

Music is such a subjective topic and the fact that you'd need to play it fairly loudly to overcome the general hubbub of an exhibition hall... that'll be a 'NO' from me, pet.

I recall setting up Hanging Hill and Paul W put on some Goth music while we were working. We couldn't put up the layout for one Cloggydog and Mrs Dagworth dancing where the layout was supposed to go. And I couldn't complain to the exhibition manager, because it was him who turned my spot in the hall to a disco.

I did consider making a set of CDs of sixties music as Hanging Hill was set in the sixties. Realising that there would need to be a couple of hours of songs as not to be too much of a nuisance, repeated music is a real pain. The plan was vetoed by Paul when I said we would have to be dressed in 1960's Mod suits and learn how to dance.

Seriously music is great if it is of a style you like but very annoying if not something you like.  So I will keep my music at home not not share it.......well only one tune...a nice one to sing along to....

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 4

I am in the "No" camp.

Please remember that commercial recordings are copyrighted - if you use one it constitutes a public performance which requires various licences to avoid landing yourself with heavy fines.

It is possible to buy copyright free recordings.

Dave

• Agree 1

On one of the layouts I help with at shows has a Mr Softee ice cream van. The layout owner has an MP3 of the relevant 'tune'. I find even that grates after a few listens.

My choice of music definitely wouldn't suit everyone, although I can enjoy a lot of different stuff. There's also some makes me quite unpleasant for personal reasons, so an absolute no from me

Edit, I've just walked past a shop playing their stock in trade music through speakers outside the doors, only a few seconds but makes me want to rip the damned things down, then smash them to shreds. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry:-)

Edited by great central
  • Like 1

On one of the layouts I help with at shows has a Mr Softee ice cream van... I find even that grates after a few listens.

The real problem with that is that is the pavlov reaction, and when you catch up with the van a 4mm scale '99' really isn't that filling. 

If the sound is the same for 3 days I think I would want to kill someone. I have sat next to a DDC diesel TMD for 2 days, I wanted get a hammer out. It was part of the reason we added sound that people might want to listen to, but it needs to be in keeping with the surroundings of the location. Our layout is set in Marshland with a river and reed beds. We I have access to a sound program which has allowed us to record background sound tracks from a similar location. If we were modelling a urban location I would have recorded the background noise from there. If you have a bandstand on you layout I would hope that you would go and record a brass band's full concert as "Land of Hope and Glory" for the 5th time in any day might get on anyone's wick. Also if another exhibitor found it a little annoying then I would switch it off. 

Marc

I am in the "No" camp.

Please remember that commercial recordings are copyrighted - if you use one it constitutes a public performance which requires various licences to avoid landing yourself with heavy fines.

It is possible to buy copyright free recordings.

Dave

Yes. I don't know where from though. In my shop we get sent a new one about every three months. Then there is the "made up Christmas song" one.

Next time you are in a shop and they play a song that "sounds like" something else, but isn't quite right, it's more likely a copyright free song rather than an obscure song by a big name artist that you've never heard before. I've played the guess who it's supposed to be game a few times.

Jason