Bachmann J39

Tom F

I might be imagining this, but was a chassis upgrade announced several years ago for J39? I seem to remember a policy change that previously announced chassis only upgrades would now be fully upgraded body design too.

Happy to be corrected mind.

I may just look into building a chassis to fit under the older body if nothing new is on the horizon.

Edited by 9793

Announced but no progress observable since. I have wedged an unaltered J11 mechanism into the heavily whittled interior of a J39 body as a quick cheap and dirty fix to keep it operating once the split chassis had finally worn out beyond repair. The J11 wheelbase is a net inch out for the J39, unfortunately part of the mechanism intrudes into the underboiler airspace, but hey this is 'only temporary'. (A splasherectomy and the Bachmann 3F 0-6-0T mechanism looks much like a J38 for those fancying a lookee-likee conversion as an adjunct to the repower project.)

• Like 1

Announced but no progress observable since. I have wedged an unaltered J11 mechanism into the heavily whittled interior of a J39 body as a quick cheap and dirty fix to keep it operating once the split chassis had finally worn out beyond repair. The J11 wheelbase is a net inch out for the J39, unfortunately part of the mechanism intrudes into the underboiler airspace, but hey this is 'only temporary'. (A splasherectomy and the Bachmann 3F 0-6-0T mechanism looks much like a J38 for those fancying a lookee-likee conversion as an adjunct to the repower project.)

Cheers 34C

I'd probably go with comet chassis. I have a 3500 gallon LNER tender courtesy of Mike Megginson. I found an old thread of his and how he carved off the boiler bands off the body.....I must have a J39 kicking around somewhere!

My understanding was that it was the V2 chassis upgrade because they saw no point in just upgrading the chassis without an upgraded body.  The J39 I understand is still only going to have the chassis upgraded but as said there doesn't appear to be any date announced.  Basically the J39 body is considered pretty good so I have built two comet chassis to keep two of my three running.  As part of the rebuild I did cut away the upper  part part of the old split chassis that represented the lower boiler and glued it into the body.  Relatively easy build but getting the weight balanced was a bit tricky

• 2 weeks later...

Biting the bullet and I’ve ordered a Bradwell Chassis. Picked a Bachmann j39 up, will sell the chassis and I’ve a lovely plasticard 3500 gallon tender a friend built to go behind.