Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Railway Modelling Hall of Fame

Andy York.

I don't believe that 'putting up with lots of people' should be a qualification for consideration. It's no more commendable than sitting at a post office counter with all manner of bizarre requests each day. ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

. It's no more commendable than sitting at a post office counter with all manner of bizarre requests each day. ;)

Dealing with members of the general public day in day out, God , no thanks. ;) 

This is getting to look as if it might involve another US tradition: The Honorable Mention, for everyone who doesn’t make it into the final ten.

Goodness alone knows how we are going to vote!

I’m trying to devise a system using the rather limited “poll” facilities.

Edited by Nearholmer

Well it's been running for a few days and yet no mention of...

Dennis Allenden - introduced a generation to continental prototypes

Geoff Pember - amazing detailed models in O gauge

Colin ("Bodger") Binnie - a pioneer of production methods for amateurs

I would like to add a name that most people will never have heard of but who was actually responsible for inspiring many tens of thousands of railway modellers.

That man was John Anning. He was a Southern O gauge modeller, and for a good many years in the 1950s and 1960s, he was Chairman of the Model Railway Club and the prime mover behind the Club's annual five day Easter shows at the Central Hall, Westminster. He didn't do it all on his own, of course, he had a good, well motivated, team behind him, but he was unquestionably the man who made it all happen - and in his spare time too - his day job involved managing a factory

I certainly remember New Annington

Another name I don’t think I’ve seen mentioned, Paul Karau.

This is getting to look as if it might involve another US tradition: The Honorable Mention, for everyone who doesn’t make it into the final ten.

Goodness alone knows how we are going to vote!

I’m trying to devise a system using the rather limited “poll” facilities.

I think the first step is a "long list" of 20 names. The second stage is splitting that list of 20 into a Top Ten and Honourable Mention

Don't forget Jack Nelson. Probably best known for his superb museum style dioramas, but was also one of those who started in the 1940s to use space better, not a flat board with flat track and scenery, but suggesting ideas to move the eye around.

Not decrying some of the more recent superb modellers , but many built on the ideas already being developed, even the cameo idea has its routes in what Jack was doing.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Don't forget Jack Nelson. Probably best known for his superb museum style dioramas, but was also one of those who started in the 1940s to use space better, not a flat board with flat track and scenery, but suggesting ideas to move the eye around.

Not decrying some of the more recent superb modellers , but many built on the ideas already being developed, even the cameo idea has its routes in what Jack was doing.

Not forgetting his drawings of LNWR topics.

• RMweb Premium

I like ten, it concentrates the mind and allows little room for favouritism as it leaves room only for the true pioneers. I suppose Frank Hornby has to be one by making the hobby accessible to the masses. I'd also nominate John Ahern for kick starting the scenic model railway. I'd be prepared to argue the case for Sidney Pritchard for flexitrack and matching points across a whole range of gauges and scales. I'm also minded to point out that as yet no representative of the exhibition circuit has had a nomination so I'm going to shout up for Mike Cook whose forty nine year span organising the York Show saw it start from humble beginnings to the behemoth it is today. Actually I may only need five nominations as my final choice is Dennis Allenden for his writing on our hobby; I have never read anything that comes close to his articles on Ste Coilne des Champs, his fictional slice of France, it's beautiful, evocative, creative and so utterly natural.

Speaking of Frank Hornby, there is also the other one.

The one whose excellent photos (and from other photographers in his collection, such W.G. Boyden), who has graced the Railway Modeller for decades.

Could I add the recently-demised Richard Chown. He always thought big, in numerous layouts, especially for his almost entirely scratch-built Irish fantasy Castle Rackrent, which like Edward Beal's layouts is a complex system run to a a proper timetable.

He sits both in the lists of operators and scenic modellers.

Another real system, again properly operated to a timetable etc. is the Gainsborough group's model of the East Coast Main Line. But this is a real group enterprise: I don't know i there is one man to single ot for a plinth.

Ian

I

Mention's been made of Frank Hornby for introducing "affordable" 00 trains, but what about Richard Lines (one of the three Lines Bros who formed Tri-Ang)?

The Lines Bros carried on from where Frank left off by introducing models which were accessible to many of those who couldn't afford Hornby Dublo. And what's more, it was 2-rail right from the start! Yes, it was crude in many ways, but I think their contribution to the hobby was just as important as Frank's in making it the mass-participation pastime it became. And many of their products were still in the Hornby range right up to the switch to Chinese production, with some elements still being made even today.

Well it's been running for a few days and yet no mention of...

Dennis Allenden - introduced a generation to continental prototypes

Geoff Pember - amazing detailed models in O gauge

Colin ("Bodger") Binnie - a pioneer of production methods for amateurs

Colin Binnie occurred to me just after I made my previous post. He was responsible for some fascinating stuff. However I'm not sure just how influential he really was, as I don't recall seeing that many of his ideas and techniques adopted all that widely. Great guy though. Edited by PatB

• RMweb Premium

There are quite a few nominations for modellers, who were/are known for their NG models. Why is there such an attraction for narrow gauge? It wasn't overly common in the UK, mostly Welsh or industrial prototypes.

Surely one of the biggest changes in the last 50 years is in the standard of the actual models of locos and stock. If the RTR manufacturers now produce detailed accurate models it is because individual craftsmen raised the expected standard when the commercial stuff was still pretty crude and toy like. Who should get the main credit for that - Stanley Beeson, Guy Williams?

The other big change is the railway in an appropriate and convincing scenic setting - John Ahern and George Stokes have, rightly, been mentioned for this, I think, personally, that Barry Norman should have a mention for moving it on a stage further, with Petherick especially. Other models did show a good and expansive setting, like Chiltern Green and Chee Tor, but they were , I think, club rather than individual efforts.

There are quite a few nominations for modellers, who were/are known for their NG models. Why is there such an attraction for narrow gauge? It wasn't overly common in the UK, mostly Welsh or industrial prototypes.

Enforced scratchbuilding, more scope for creativity, individuality, originality, storytelling (see PD Hancock) and fitting a believable system into a room.

Of course if you took any of those things too far you ruin the effect, but a good narrow gauge model has more freedom and scope of expression than one based upon a standard gauge line, because a standard gauge one has to conform to the standards, design and stock of the company operating it. Light railways or an extra pre grouping company are the way around this for standard gauge (and there are a disproportionate number of light railway models too).

Please note that I'm not saying a BR 50s branch terminus model can't show all those qualities, just that there are more rules to abide by which could constrain the artist. Getting a prototype model 'right' is a tricky challenge (and I suspect many aspects of right are subjective).

Enforced scratchbuilding, more scope for creativity, individuality, originality, storytelling (see PD Hancock) and fitting a believable system into a room.

This, in a sentence, sums up both why I'm very much attracted to narrow gauge but, so far, have never actually tried it :)

PD Hancock's storytelling is one of the things that really drew me into "proper" modelling as a teenager. When I built my own first real model railway (as opposed to a train set), creating the back story was as important to me as the modelling. But that was standard gauge (and standard is where I've stayed), because I simply don't have the skills to scratchbuild reliable motive power. I can manage rolling stock kits, and I've dabbled in scratchbuilding wagons, but I could never get that to the level necessary to use anything other than RTR locomotives.

This may change, of course, now that RTR 009 is becoming a thing. I still have a hankering for a narrow gauge layout, and I keep promising myself that I'll build one. Maybe one day....

• RMweb Premium

Of course if you took any of those things too far you ruin the effect, but a good narrow gauge model has more freedom and scope of expression than one based upon a standard gauge line, because a standard gauge one has to conform to the standards, design and stock of the company operating it. Light railways or an extra pre grouping company are the way around this for standard gauge (and there are a disproportionate number of light railway models too).

Please note that I'm not saying a BR 50s branch terminus model can't show all those qualities, just that there are more rules to abide by which could constrain the artist. Getting a prototype model 'right' is a tricky challenge (and I suspect many aspects of right are subjective).

But is that not true of any freelance model railway (defined as one not based on a particular railway location), but can be based on general practice in the supposed general area/time scale?

Some modellers even letter their models, for a fictitious railway, even if using standard stock of a 'Big Four' member or BR. Think of how many standard gauge layouts that exist of a loco depot, or stabling sidings for departmental stock. Or an unusual prototype such as an oil terminal or a modern coal fired power station (OK, perhaps not so modern!).

I'm not suggesting that there is anything wrong with a narrow gauge layout, just that actual prototypes, weren't that common in the UK.

I don't model UK but how about The North London Group team responsible for Heckmondwike?... a bit of a mould breaker that one. But now I'm reminded of Geoff Williams.

Also as somebody has already mentioned.. Alan Wright.

And.. is there room for Ross Pochin, Tom Harland & Richard Chown?

• Like 2

I don't model UK but how about The North London Group team responsible for Heckmondwike?... a bit of a mould breaker that one. But now I'm reminded of Geoff Williams.

Also as somebody has already mentioned.. Alan Wright.

And.. is there room for Ross Pochin, Tom Harland & Richard Chown?

I think that to get into a Top 10 , or even a Top 20, you need to have made a sustained contribution across a considerable period, or in multiple areas

So I don't think Heckmondwyke cuts the mustard at this level. People like Peter Denny, PD Hancock and Cyril Freezer made big contributions repeatedly , over more than 30 years, in various different areas - and I think you have to limit yourself to people like that

So Heckmondwyke doesn't make it - but Bob Essery might qualify....

For the same reason Alex Jackson wouldn't qualify - sadly he didn't live long enough to contribute much more than the coupling

• Like 1