Kings Cross Suburban

Pete 75C

Just a note to say that there aren't enough Deltics in that picture.

Yah..

Oh yah, absolutely. One can never have too many Deltics. I'll get Daddy to buy me more when he gets back from skiing with Wills and Harry at Klosters.

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 1

Mildly (or wildly) off topic, Deltics are now known as "those Greek things" round here, after the other half returned from York saying she'd seen a bunch of photographers in front of some old diesel on a special train with a headboard, something or other Greek. On questioning, she said "you know, one of those Greek or Roman things, Ionic, Doric..." . It took me until the following day to finally twig that she'd seen the "Trans-Pennine Deltic Lament" tour.

Back on topic, why not bite the bullet and call it King's Cross? When people point out that it's not strictly a carbon copy, just tell them that you know that, it's a model, it's closer than they think, and the real thing is far away. Or show them your artistic licence* - you can get them laminated, credit-card size, for a reasonable price.

Later edit:

*or modeller's licence, like McGomez's profile pic two posts further down, no.31.

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 3

Looking good Pete.

The wall colouring looks like a dirtyish London Yellow brick to me but then I am colour blind. :blind:

My two penneth regarding the name, St Pancross East.

You could then have the odd invasion of Peaks and not feel too bad about it.

Edited by McGomez
  • Like 1

But 23 would be too many

Not if you include DP1. :P

Of course, if you had a collection of all 22 production Deltics in Green, then Green/Yellow panels, then Pre-TOPS Blue, then TOPS Blue, then the Finsbury Park White Cabs and one-off liveries (e.g. Royal Scots Grey with silver fuel tanks), that'd be, erm... a LOT of Deltics!!! :jester:

G'Day Folks

The dividing wall behind platform 14, was never as dirty as the rest of Kings Cross, as it was open to the weather, the rain washed a lot of soot off.

On the other point, a Name.....you could call it 'Culcross' as Culcross buildings back onto the 'milk dock'

manna

• Like 2

You could then have the odd invasion of Peaks...

Of course, if you had a collection of all 22 production Deltics...

...which highlights a problem. I've never been a "collector", preferring to have just a handful of units/locos suitable for the layout's location and era. A southern region terminus in the early 80s is easy, but it strikes me that this layout will be a lot harder. Stretching the era from 1960 to 1980 means greens and blues. I like the BRCW Type 2 in green. I fancy a Brush Type 2 in golden ochre. And one in green. And 3 in blue. Then there's a Deltic with white window surrounds. Not forgetting DP2. The odd Peak and a Class 40 wouldn't go amiss. Oh dear. Maybe I should be building a loco depot...

The dividing wall behind platform 14, was never as dirty as the rest of Kings Cross, as it was open to the weather, the rain washed a lot of soot off.

I've only seen a couple of photos of the train shed wall that weren't in black and white and yes, I did get the impression that you could see the original colour of the brickwork in parts. Everything else just seems to be a uniform, dirty brown and whilst that might be correct, I think it would be a bit overpowering on a model. I think the layout deserves the odd splash of colour.

I've no idea how I'll eventually do the roof and will probably go for a trade-off between something that's not too hard to build but still looks believable. That's my fault for laying the track at an angle to the backscene. The roof will taper into low relief as it gets closer to the buffer stops. Dead straight platforms parallel to the baseboard edge are easy, but where's the fun in that?*

* I just know I'm gonna regret that later...

• Like 3

I fear you may need to call Mr Trice, and scale up his Kings Cross roof girders......

No, I've seen his work and it's terrifying. By that I mean frighteningly good and far beyond my abilities. As a lazy modeller, I will no doubt cheat and end up with something acceptable from certain angles...

Brush 2 in Golden Ochre? Nooo, D5578/79 (the pretty ones) were East Anglian locos. I seriously doubt they ever got to the Cross. Sorry, I like it too.

Yes, I know it's beyond unlikely. I think Rule 1 might have to get bent. Very bent. The model shouldn't be so pretty. I blame Hornby and Kernow...

post-17811-0-11715800-1524293965.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If thinking of the Bachmann MK1 suburban stock they respond well to fast and easy makeovers https://albionyard.wordpress.com/2013/10/16/mark-one-suburbia/

The trainshed walls were (1980’s - 90’s) a pretty uniform colour and relatively light on the tonal scale and variations. The main train shed had wartime damage and a section of the repaired wall can still be seen today, that might make an interesting feature. One of the ‘roof’ challenges you have is the non parallel alignment to the baseboard, what ever you I’d suggest not changing that, that’s one of the features that makes the design work.

One thing that’ll affect the roof line massively is how the layout will be operated, displayed and lit (ODL). Getting that sorted, at least in the design, if not physically, will help with the vertical profiles across the layout. Cardboard is your friend, use it to mock up the big structures, bridges etc and the sight lines across the layout will appear. Importantly it’ll tell you what won’t work, which may well change, or form your ideas regarding the layouts ODL.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I know it's beyond unlikely. I think Rule 1 might have to get bent. Very bent. The model shouldn't be so pretty. I blame Hornby and Kernow...

attachicon.gifR3674.jpg

Are they doing this with yellow panels or just like this?

...and I want to see Pete model all those lovely Singles, G1's, N1's etc.

I have no idea what type of diesels they are. I shall have to do some research...

Are they doing this with yellow panels or just like this?

AFAIK, just as pictured. If you wanted a small yellow panel, it should be easy enough to mask off and spray.

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/58171/R3674-Hornby-Class-31-Diesel-Locomotive-number-D5579

Weren't the later small yellow panels on the golden ochre locos square-edged? I'll try and find a picture.

Edit: The yellow panels circa 1965 were square-edged, at least on D5579 in this photo at Ipswich.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/115646323@N04/30475996240/

Edited by Pete 75C

If thinking of the Bachmann MK1 suburban stock they respond well to fast and easy makeovers https://albionyard.wordpress.com/2013/10/16/mark-one-suburbia/

Thanks for that link. For me, it was always the glazing that let them down visually, but otherwise, I think they're still decent models and essential for this setting. I think there were two types of flush-glazing available? One looked distinctly rounded and prismatic at the edges, but the Shawplan glazing in the Albion Yard link looks superb.

.... Cardboard is your friend, use it to mock up the big structures, bridges etc and the sight lines across the layout will appear. ...

CAD = Cardboard-Aided Design, as featured on a bit of The Motorcycle Show I came across while channel-hopping the other night.

Are you doing sound? If so, the clunk of many Mk1 carriage doors being shut would be essential.

• Like 1

Are you doing sound? If so, the clunk of many Mk1 carriage doors being shut would be essential.

The Deltic in some of the photos is the new(ish) Bachmann release with factory-fitted sound. I haven't had a chance to play with it properly yet. I'm well aware that "better" Deltic sound is available but as a novice it will do me for now. I'm very much sitting on the fence with regard to DCC sound. Sometimes I think it's great, other times it annoys me a bit. I do rather like the idea of "ambient" background noise... muffled station announcements etc etc. The clunk of the carriage doors is rather appealing...

As this layout is for personal amusement only, I'll never run the risk of irritating folk with the noise. From other threads, I gather it's a love/hate thing.

• Like 2

In other news, the good weather has meant a fair bit of time has been wasted spent lounging about in the garden with a chilled bottle of San Miguel at hand. I have found the time in the evening (as an antidote to the wife's reality TV addiction) to crack on with the train shed wall which is being done as a form of batch process, 5 or 6 sections at a time. I've also made a start on Platform 17 which is a timber structure. This is the platform that will be right at the front edge of the baseboard so I need to make an attempt at getting this right. Known photos of this platform are few and far between but Mike Trice kindly posted some on the other thread. I won't just copy them here as that would be kinda rude, so here's a link to that thread. They're the 5th and 6th photos in Mike's post.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/127688-kings-cross-york-road-suburban-platforms/page-10&do=findComment&comment=2951967

Rather large timber bearers sit on stumpy brick bases. The brick bases are made up from shortened Wills brick piers and I have (don't ask why) a load of 7mm timber sleepers in the "bits" box. These might be a *tad* overscale but a dry run has shown they do look the part sitting on top of the brick bases. On top of the timber bearers are smaller-section timbers running at 90 degrees and then on top of all that sits the planking of the platform surface. The planks are around 9" wide, so 3.2mm Evergreen styrene strips will be spot-on. I have never tried to construct a platform like this, so don't expect any photos until I'm happy with it. That might take a while...

• Like 3