Kings Cross Suburban

Pete 75C

Disappointed you're not doing the rest of the train shed so you can get York Road in too from a loop round the back  :jester:  :jester:

Been wondering where the build of this was after the thread about this part of the station, it ticks all of the boxes for one of your layouts - short trains, platforms on more than one level.

• Like 2

Disappointed you're not doing the rest of the train shed so you can get York Road in too from a loop round the back  :jester:  :jester:

York Road might one day appear on another board to the left of this one. It would be rude not to join the dots...

• Like 2

You could do worse than Battle Bridge Road for the name.

Is it intended to be "Kings Cross but not really" or "definitely London but can't place my finger on it", or just generally urban? Might help pin down a name or rule some out.

With the angles, gradients and the Cravens in the shots above, it's already recognisable as a homage to KX. Your job is done!

May be something like "Queen's Place"?

Interesting way of doing the platforms.  What material have you used for the platform sides that are screwed down, or is it just wood that you have cut notches into?  If so, can i ask why?

Mike.

• Like 1

Have you incorporated facilities to allow vast clouds of diesel fumes to be pumped out of the layout all over the place, perhaps by connecting tubes to the exhaust of an old landrover engine placed below the layout?

I like the look of it a lot.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I like what you've done Pete, especially the way the gradient descends into the hotel curve.   I look forward to progress.   What era is it going to be set in.   You could always call it the "View from St Pancras".

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

• RMweb Gold

Liking that Pete, your not hanging about with it.

Incidentally I got a can of track dirt made a fast lane the other day as I am going to need quite a lot of it we have saved the mix

Another vote here for "KX Suburban". :yes:

If you don't want to use King's Cross, though, then either "King's {something}" or "{something} Cross".

"Queen's Cross" has been used (by Warley MRC, but they might not still have the layout) but I doubt it's Copywrited. ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looking good Pete.

Why not name it after one of those often spoken phrases from around the neighbourhood "Ullo ducky....ow about a thrupenny upright.."

Maybe not...people might think it's the Midland.

I've got a similar scheme in Templot for turn of the 19thC ....When I say it's in Templot ....I've actually opened Templot then drawn it on the screen in felt tip..

• RMweb Premium

Another vote for Battle Bridge Road, or Camley Street GN.

With so little work completed its fascinating to see how you've already captured the essence of the location clearly many of us are familiar with. Particularly like the use of the Hornby hydraulic buffer stops and the curves breaking up the linear appearance it'd be so easy to fall into. Very nice indeed.

• RMweb Premium

Looking very nice, with nice sweeping curves, and I like the drop into the tunnel as well.

As for names:

Down Cross (Its the down side after all),

King's Down,

Cross Out (its outbound..)

Dropping Down

Climbing Cross.

Andy G

Thanks for all the comments guys, very much appreciated! I wasn't entirely sure that I'd even start a layout topic for this, but I'd dropped a few hints on the other thread that I was thinking of something. Regarding the name, I'm not in any rush to make a decision, but I do have a nasty habit of looking at historic maps and choosing a nearby street name. A personal favourite (at the moment) is Cheney Road, see map below.

post-17811-0-72713300-1524030157.jpg

I worry that by the time it's finished, I'll have left so many bits out, added things that were never there (the road bridge scenic break is a huge departure from reality) etc etc that it will be nothing like the original. I can actually live with that, as long as it has a "nod" to KX. Platforms 14/15 never had hydraulic buffer stops, but I just liked the look of them and they seem to suit the location. Going back to the road bridge, the map below shows Battle Bridge Road crossing the station throat, so in my mind I can "kind of" justify that on the layout. A classic case of "purists look away now" but it was never going to be an accurate clone of the prototype...

post-17811-0-02874200-1524030543.jpg

Answers to some questions...

Mike K asked about the platforms. The platform edge timbers seen in the photos are 15mm x 15mm hardwood strips. I have a mitre saw that has a grooving facility. 4mm notches were added to these hardwood strips spaced at about 10mm. As the platforms have a slight curve, the notches relieve the tension on the strips and allow them to follow that curve smoothly. There are also notches on the underside of the Hotel Curve platform to allow the timber to follow the gradient as well as the curve.

Jamie asked about the era. I'm thinking mainly 1970s, but I'm happy to stretch back to 1960 to allow the occasional appearance of a BRCW Type 2 in green without yellow ends. Kernow are also releasing Brush Type 2 D5579 in golden ochre livery as a limited edition which looks to be a stunning model and deserves a place. I may push forward to the 1980s and assume the suburban side remained open. Signage will be pure 1970s corporate image and BR blue will be predominant.

Will asked about the track. Exactoscale concrete bases with Tillig Code 82 flatbottom rail on the stub tracks. The new Peco bullhead elsewhere. For 6 platforms, I guess I've gone pretty minimalist with only one point! I would like the aesthetics of a more complicated station throat, but I'm short on space. If the layout ever gets extended to the left, expect more pointwork.

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 6

Have you incorporated facilities to allow vast clouds of diesel fumes to be pumped out of the layout all over the place, perhaps by connecting tubes to the exhaust of an old landrover engine placed below the layout?

As this is being built in a VERY small room, if anyone expects to see it finished, it's probably best that I survive a little bit longer...

I've made a start cladding the train shed wall. The image below is Mk2. The first attempt was just too much grubby brown brick. I know "filth" and "grime" are essential keywords, but over 4 feet of it would have been overkill. I've imagined that the wall has been repaired at some point and a different brick has been used between the pillars, obviously looking a little cleaner too. This new brickwork sits on a concrete block base. I think it works, but it can be changed or weathered down some more. Need to see what it looks like when the whole length has been done. Only about another 12 sections to go...

post-17811-0-90619600-1524226126.jpg

I do recall saying that I wasn't in much of a rush to decide on a name, but I have been having a think. I'm less keen on Cheney Road. If I hadn't spent the last couple of months studying old maps of the station, I'd never have heard of it and it certainly wouldn't make me think "Kings Cross". As much as I like "Battle Bridge Road" or just "Battle Bridge", that suffers the same problem. Who's ever heard of it? Trying to keep a bit of "Kings Cross" in the name, leaves me with Kings Street or Kings Road. I like "Kings Road" but it's maybe a bit too Chelsea, ok, yah?

:jester:

Edit: Apologies for the brightness in the picture. It's a small room and every picture I take is towards the window. I thought of turning the layout around but there's a door in the way. I may have to requisition a bigger room...

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 10