Kings Cross Suburban

Pete 75C

Morning folks. Quick opinion poll...

The rest of the DPM sections have arrived from Rails of Sheffield and I'm ready to start playing around with them to get the low relief backdrop to the concourse. 3 of the sections I want to use are almost totally glass-fronted and will be a fictitious interpretation of the Europa Buffet & Bar.

Is it worth standing these sections around 25mm forward of the backscene and trying to make a representation of the interior using photos shrunk to fit and perhaps a 3D table & chairs in each window bay? The alternative is to black-out the window sections and have them flat against the backscene, gaining around an inch of concourse. Bearing in mind the eventual overall roof, I wonder how much will actually be seen?

Opinions very welcome and if anyone's actually done something similar, I'd be delighted to hear about it and see your efforts.

post-17811-0-23285100-1531207513.jpg

• Like 5

G'day Folks

Give it an inch of space, then you can include the Kings Cross staff clothing stores above the buffet, the stairs came down at the concourse end of platform 14. There was always plenty of movement on the stairs as none of our uniforms fitted.   :jester:

manna

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I’d do something with the interior, the glasing will provide some reflection too which will throw light around and diffuse the internal view. I’d experiment with what goes behind the glass, a bar picture might work, or 2D decoupage, the decoupage could work well as the viewing angles are restricted. If you have tables etc in 3D view be careful that it doesn’t end up arranged looking like a shop display window. You can view block the frontage with a simple line or couple of gaggles of brutes that bred like rabbits on the suburban platforms. Add some staff and a passenger arguing about how close they were/weren’t to being run down by a train of brutes.

I like manna’s idea of the stairway too, that’ll add another signature feature, Walthers do HO fire escapes that may be adaptable, and there’s stairway components in the Plas-Struct range

Unless you are going to light the buffet to see the detail I wouldn't bother Pete.

Mike.

Agreed. I made up a Metcalfe signal box interior for my small station box. I carefully added table and straight chair, easy chair, carpet, lever frame and levers, block instruments and track diagram etc.; then I added the roof and hardly any of the interior is now visible through the windows from more than 3 inches away. 

Edited by jonny777

Morning folks. Quick opinion poll...

The rest of the DPM sections have arrived from Rails of Sheffield and I'm ready to start playing around with them to get the low relief backdrop to the concourse. 3 of the sections I want to use are almost totally glass-fronted and will be a fictitious interpretation of the Europa Buffet & Bar.

Is it worth standing these sections around 25mm forward of the backscene and trying to make a representation of the interior using photos shrunk to fit and perhaps a 3D table & chairs in each window bay? The alternative is to black-out the window sections and have them flat against the backscene, gaining around an inch of concourse. Bearing in mind the eventual overall roof, I wonder how much will actually be seen?

Opinions very welcome and if anyone's actually done something similar, I'd be delighted to hear about it and see your efforts.

attachicon.gifkx_0040.jpg

I used some (left over) reflective window film recently as a simple backing for a warehouse backdrop.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mirror-Reflective-One-Way-Privacy-Window-Film-Sticky-Back-Glass-Tint/152411213132?hash=item237c6a8d4c:m:mcScp-zjBgaK5GPnffbBKdA - go for the True One Way stuff - good value if you've got a lot to do.

• Like 3

Thanks guys. All much appreciated.

I wasn't convinced that there was much point trying to replicate an interior even before I asked the question, but I think I have a plan.

I'll make up a little card box about an inch deep, add a few Preiser cafe tables and chairs at the front edge and see how it looks. I think it'll look like a shop window display, as PMP says above. Worth a try though.

I also followed the link in Andy Y's post and have ordered a 99p sample of the one-way film to see how that looks. At that price for a sample, what's to lose? I'm betting on "no interior" to win.

Re: the staircase, I was vaguely aware that it existed, but photo evidence escapes me. The more I think about it, it would add a little character. Auhagen do something similar (below) and it's readily available, so I'll give that some thought.

Thanks again.

post-17811-0-46276600-1531289208.jpg

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Thanks guys. All much appreciated.

I wasn't convinced that there was much point trying to replicate an interior even before I asked the question, but I think I have a plan.

I'll make up a little card box about an inch deep, add a few Preiser cafe tables and chairs at the front edge and see how it looks. I think it'll look like a shop window display, as PMP says above. Worth a try though.

I also followed the link in Andy Y's post and have ordered a 99p sample of the one-way film to see how that looks. At that price for a sample, what's to lose? I'm betting on "no interior" to win.

Re: the staircase, I was vaguely aware that it existed, but photo evidence escapes me. The more I think about it, it would add a little character. Auhagen do something similar (below) and it's readily available, so I'll give that some thought.

Thanks again.

attachicon.gif80101.jpg

There is always an etch for the stairs by langleys  http://www.langleymodels.co.uk/shop/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2elangley-models%2eco%2euk%2f&WD=stair&PN=Online_Catalogue_OO_Scale_Accessories_F172_to_F219___NEW_Items__18%2ehtml%23aF174#aF174 fiddly but worth it 

http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p183446724/h49acd864

This pic shows some of the west facing wall that might help.

Thanks for that.

I had a look at some more photos of the suburban side at RailOnline and found a similar shot...

http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p183446724/h49acd864#h49acd812

...is it me, or is the buffet/bar in the far distance signed as "The Lounge"? I'd thought it was "The Europa Lounge" and was going to print signs out accordingly. I have tried to enlarge the image but could use a second opinion.

• RMweb Gold

I remember it as 'The Lounge' 

Waiting there one Sunday afternoon in the mid 70's for a train home, I remember my mum commenting that 'One wouldn't eat in a lounge so it was an incorrect name' I seem to remember 'The Grothole' being more suitable.

• Like 2

Enlarging http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p183446724/h49acd864#h49acd812, I can see two round symbols (teacup and wineglass), a word that could be "The" and then another word beginning with L, but seemingly not long enough to read "Lounge" in full. I could be wrong.

http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p183446724/h49acd864#h49acd864 has the key word obscured by the watermark.

Edited by eastwestdivide

• RMweb Premium

In the 80’s I’m pretty certain it was the Europa Lounge, I’ll ask some others who might have been less ‘wobbly’ in the vicinity. The Europa though thinking a bit harder was west side of the main train shed platform 8 and was a muddy mid green colour to the frontage. At the town end of the suburban platforms (80’s) I recall there being a Smiths and a coffee stall/shop which is what that background structure might have changed to.

Edited by PMP

Thanks for that.

I had a look at some more photos of the suburban side at RailOnline and found a similar shot...

http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p183446724/h49acd864#h49acd812

...is it me, or is the buffet/bar in the far distance signed as "The Lounge"? I'd thought it was "The Europa Lounge" and was going to print signs out accordingly. I have tried to enlarge the image but could use a second opinion.

The Europa Lounge was the buffet at the end of Platform 8, Euston Road end, with an entrance from the platform and the west side. I don't remember a buffet on the suburban at all, only a kiosk, so no help to you there I am afraid.

By the by, I came across this accidentally whilst browsing. It may have already been posted, so apols if so. I have not copied picture across in case of copyright. Do not be put off by the York Road description, go to the second pic down, which is taken on the platform you are modelling. May be good for the colours?

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/k/kings_cross_york_road/index1.shtml

• Like 1

The Europa Lounge was the buffet at the end of Platform 8, Euston Road end, with an entrance from the platform and the west side. I don't remember a buffet on the suburban at all, only a kiosk, so no help to you there I am afraid.

Thanks Mike. As with a lot of things on this layout which either never existed or existed elsewhere within the station complex, the buffet will find itself opposite Platforms 14/15. Only a very slight nod towards reality. Looking at that photo (linked above), it will be named "The Lounge". I have a whole host of buffet/bar/Travellers Fare graphics which need to be scaled down and printed. As always, the only problem is finding the time!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The Europa Lounge was the buffet at the end of Platform 8, Euston Road end, with an entrance from the platform and the west side. I don't remember a buffet on the suburban at all, only a kiosk, so no help to you there I am afraid

I wonder if the bar moved along platform 8 over the years? I can recall myself and mates meeting there for practice beers, before heading out on a KKK (Kings Kross Krawl) local pubs, or into town. I can’t recall access from the west side just platform 8, but there was also (80’s-90’s), an executive lounge next door, or very close by. The Europa had a green frontage something between Tamiya XF4 and XF49 and gold sign writing. Floor was natural wood, medium brown, and that describes the beer reasonably accurately too.

I wonder if the bar moved along platform 8 over the years? I can recall myself and mates meeting there for practice beers, before heading out on a KKK (Kings Kross Krawl) local pubs, or into town. I can’t recall access from the west side just platform 8, but there was also (80’s-90’s), an executive lounge next door, or very close by. The Europa had a green frontage something between Tamiya XF4 and XF49 and gold sign writing. Floor was natural wood, medium brown, and that describes the beer reasonably accurately too.

No, they were two different establishments. The one you are thinking of has had several names, York Tavern, York Bar (often confused with the Duke of York in York Way) and latterly Coopers, before it finally shut in 2008 (I think). It only had an entrance on P8, next to steps down to the lavs, and beyond that the BTP, and indeed the Executive (later First Class) Lounge on the other side.... I too spent many a miserable hour in there waiting to go home on occasion, until far better bars opened in St Pancras and in York Way! It was always grotty, despite several refurbs. but very popular simply because of where it was.

The Europa Lounge did not survive as long, as we needed the space in the 1990's when we started to reconfigure the train catering operations and many other things, due to the construction of Platform 0. It had not been competing well with the new Burger King and one or two others recently arrived at the front. It did have the original TF red frontage for many years, and I don't remember a green facade, but then I very rarely used it!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

No, they were two different establishments. The one you are thinking of has had several names, York Tavern, York Bar (often confused with the Duke of York in York Way) and latterly Coopers, before it finally shut in 2008 (I think). It only had an entrance on P8, next to steps down to the lavs, and beyond that the BTP, and indeed the Executive (later First Class) Lounge on the other side.... I too spent many a miserable hour in there waiting to go home on occasion, until far better bars opened in St Pancras and in York Way! It was always grotty, despite several refurbs. but very popular simply because of where it was.

The Europa Lounge did not survive as long, as we needed the space in the 1990's when we started to reconfigure the train catering operations and many other things, due to the construction of Platform 0. It had not been competing well with the new Burger King and one or two others recently arrived at the front. It did have the original TF red frontage for many years, and I don't remember a green facade, but then I very rarely used it!

I went through King's Cross almost daily in the 1990s as I worked up the road in King's House, and was trying to remember the names of the catering establishments on Platform 8 - thank you for clarifying things!

• 1 month later...

Thanks Rich, I'll take a look.

Timely, as it happens, because after a seasonal summer lack of interest, the modelling room is getting a spruce-up. I've finally bought a small desk, so I no longer have to cut plastic sheet knelt on the floor (my back will be pleased). The room really was in a right old state and I'm finally organising things. Modelling will resume shortly!

• Like 3