Kings Cross Suburban

Pete 75C

Going back a few posts, ambient background sound was mentioned. Thanks to a thread I spotted on RMWeb this morning, I discovered this...

http://bbcsfx.acropolis.org.uk/

...a vast collection of sounds and effects from the BBC archives, freely available for personal use. There are seven pages of railway related .WAV files including a couple of files specific to Kings Cross station including PA announcements etc. Just type "railway" into the search box.

There are location-specific files for London Bridge, Charing Cross, London Victoria, Birmingham New Street, Paddington, Liverpool Street, Euston etc as well as a whole host of more general railway sounds. I'm delighted to note that "carriage door slamming" is also there!

I'll certainly be trying to make up a few loops for playback. A cheap MP3 player and a speaker buried somewhere in the station concourse springs to mind.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

including a couple of files specific to Kings Cross station including PA announcements etc. 

There'll be about half a dozen pronunciations of St Neots on it,   either Saint Knee oats, Sunt Notes, Snotes or Sneeeeeots.  Sandy seemed relatively easy for them and Biggleswade was skipped over quickly.

• Like 1

G'Day Folks

I'm still trying to work out how you're going to get all that smoke to come out of the tunnel, even in Diesel days, we were 3 feet outside the tunnel before we could see anything !!!

manna

• Like 1

Nothing hugely exciting, but a quick update on the timber platform. In my head, short Wills brick piers, leftover 7mm timber sleepers and cross-members from 2mm x 4mm plastic strip sounded like a plan. Happily, it seems to have worked out ok on the model and, visually, it's a close match for how Platform 17 at the Cross actually looked. I'll stick with this and crack on with the rest of it. Platform 16 (Hotel Curve tunnel) was identical, but only the platform surface will be seen on the model, so I'll cheat a bit.

post-17811-0-90303400-1524821342.jpg

post-17811-0-68284900-1524821348.jpg

post-17811-0-24780600-1524821354.jpg

post-17811-0-22788800-1524821361.jpg

• Like 16

...everything is SO neat

Yes, I think I may have some issues. I start tidying away the dinner things before people have finished eating. My wife says it's really bloody annoying...

:dontknow:

• Like 1

Do you have teenage children yet? Only then will you learn the true art of weathering and delapidation.

Yes Mike, two. I've become accustomed to the eye-rolling, silences and occasional scowling. The birth of my youngest daughter (now 15) also signalled the onset of hair loss. Now that she'll be dating soon, I can expect to completely lose the plot any day now...

Anyhoo... I have a question for anyone that knows anything about the Eastern region in the 70s...

The Flickr photo (below) is a pretty decent colour reference for the canopy and the lamp standards to be found on Platforms 14/15.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/9003948@N05/26582051995/

Knowing sod all very little about such things, can anyone suggest a match or at least a close match for the cream canopy ends and the faded green lamp standards? I'm thinking Humbrol matt acrylic which is my usual choice. I guess the cream will be easy as it can be lightened, streaked and otherwise weathered but I've come up blank for the green. It's not lack of choice... in fact there's too much choice. The Humbrol colour chart is not lacking in shades of green! I don't even know if the shade of green in the photo is a typical Eastern region colour?

In other news, there isn't really any. Work continues on the train shed wall, the timber-framed Platforms 16 & 17 and more ballasting has been done. When it all comes together, it may be worthy of a picture or two, but not yet.

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 1

I may have missed the decision on naming, but as you're building only part of the station, what about 'King's Cross-Section'...?

I don't know what my problem is (I should just get over it) but I have a real issue with using "Kings Cross" in the layout name. Perhaps it's because I'm keenly aware that although the finished model will be a *bit* like the prototype, many shortcuts will have been taken and things "tweaked" to suit both myself and the space available. For that reason, I'm currently thinking of something like King Street. Knowing how often I change my mind, who knows...

• RMweb Premium

The Flickr photo (below) is a pretty decent colour reference for the canopy and the lamp standards to be found on Platforms 14/15.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/9003948@N05/26582051995/

Knowing sod all very little about such things, can anyone suggest a match or at least a close match for the cream canopy ends and the faded green lamp standards? I'm thinking Humbrol matt acrylic which is my usual choice. I guess the cream will be easy as it can be lightened, streaked and otherwise weathered but I've come up blank for the green.

For the Green, Mr Color 122 may be a good start or Tamiya XF5 over a white undercoat.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/41364610@N05/10834201954/in/photostream/ lighter green is MC122

Edited by PMP
  • Like 1

G'day Folks

I was always told that the 'Green'  on the lamps, was the original LNER  (loco) green, Kings Cross in the in the early 70's was still wearing LNER green, I think last painted in the 30's, many of the station's along the ECML were in the same colours

Here's a couple of pictures of Wood Green that I took in October 1970, I wasn't trying to take pictures of the the station, but got a bit in anyway. They're not that good, 127 camera's didn't take that good a picture.

manna

post-19471-0-94171000-1525384749.jpg

post-19471-0-83288200-1525384787.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I have used Doncaster Loco Green in the past on ER buildings and people have said I had got the colours right. The cream used on the buildings seems to subdue the green making appear less vibrant than on a A1 Pacific.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info re: colours. Taken from the link in Post #70, these look pretty much spot-on to me...

post-17811-0-12816000-1525412188.jpg

I can also well believe that they are the original LNER colours still to be seen in that Flickr photo. The main station may have been spruced up by the 70s, but the suburban side appeared to be stuck in a time warp and faded 40-yr-old paintwork suddenly makes sense. If I can get close to those two colours, I'll be happy. What little will be seen of the two platforms between the road bridge and train shed roof will have a more modern (for the 70s) feel with the concrete platform edging and more modern lamps (there's probably only room for one) but the remainder of the platforms will get the faded green and cream.

Platforms 16 & 17 are getting the prototypical planked surface and Platform 16 will feature the passenger ramp alongside the tunnel mouth but I will have to forego the canopies. They would be too much of a view blocker when the main feature of this layout (for me) will be seeing trains exit the tunnel and climb into Platform 16. I'll have to settle for just a dividing wall.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the info re: colours. Taken from the link in Post #70, these look pretty much spot-on to me...

attachicon.giflner_colours.jpg

I can also well believe that they are the original LNER colours still to be seen in that Flickr photo. The main station may have been spruced up by the 70s, but the suburban side appeared to be stuck in a time warp and faded 40-yr-old paintwork suddenly makes sense. If I can get close to those two colours, I'll be happy. What little will be seen of the two platforms between the road bridge and train shed roof will have a more modern (for the 70s) feel with the concrete platform edging and more modern lamps (there's probably only room for one) but the remainder of the platforms will get the faded green and cream.

Platforms 16 & 17 are getting the prototypical planked surface and Platform 16 will feature the passenger ramp alongside the tunnel mouth but I will have to forego the canopies. They would be too much of a view blocker when the main feature of this layout (for me) will be seeing trains exit the tunnel and climb into Platform 16. I'll have to settle for just a dividing wall.

The Eastern Region continued to use those colours. When the ex LMS lines in the Sheffield area became under ER control the MR signal boxes were painted LNER green and cream.