FO tunnel motor locos on RhB

Talbotjohn

HI,

A friend tells me that the FO tunnel motor locos were loaned to the RhB. There are two pictures of the FO tunnel locos with green RhB coaches in the Bemo 1984 catalogue. As they were introduced in 1979 I conclude that the photos were taken between 1979 and 1984. Please can someone confirm the time period when these locos ran on the RhB as this will define the period of my new layout.

Thanks John.

They were built 1979 (for operating car trains in the furka base tunnel, hence no rack drive) but the base tunnel wasn't finished until 1982 so they were leased to the RhB between delivery and the tunnel opening.

Edit: they began service Feb 1980.

Edited by brack

They were built 1979 (for operating car trains in the furka base tunnel, hence no rack drive) but the base tunnel wasn't finished until 1982 so they were leased to the RhB between delivery and the tunnel opening.

Edit: they began service Feb 1980.

FO class Ge 4/4 III was leased to RhB from late 1979 until the opening of the Furka base tunnel in 1982. Both locos saw service on the Albula line before being transferred to "tunnel duty, hauling the car trains through the tunnel. No. 82 "Uri" was scrapped last November, leaving only No. 81 "Wallis" in service. 36 years is an unusual short service life on Swiss NG lines.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but it's reminded me of something I keep getting confused with; when did RhB mainline coaches start becoming red? And when did they stop being green?

An FO tunnel motor is the next thing I'm thinking of tackling in 1:22.5 once I've finished the middle entrance coaches (box on wheels, how hard can it be?!)

FO class Ge 4/4 III was leased to RhB from late 1979 until the opening of the Furka base tunnel in 1982. Both locos saw service on the Albula line before being transferred to "tunnel duty, hauling the car trains through the tunnel. No. 82 "Uri" was scrapped last November, leaving only No. 81 "Wallis" in service. 36 years is an unusual short service life on Swiss NG lines.

HI Brack and Sir Madog,

Many thanks for the confirmation. Looks like my layout will be set 1980 -1982 or thereabouts. I guess being a FO loco without rack gear limited their usefulness but that won't be the case on my layout. Here is photo of first section of my layout with FO tunnel motor used as test loco.

Regards

John.

post-34157-0-35233600-1524135630_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I don't want to hijack the thread, but it's reminded me of something I keep getting confused with; when did RhB mainline coaches start becoming red? And when did they stop being green?

An FO tunnel motor is the next thing I'm thinking of tackling in 1:22.5 once I've finished the middle entrance coaches (box on wheels, how hard can it be?!)

I'm not sure when the RhB started painting coaches red. It takes a long time to repaint an entire fleet so I suspect green coaches were around for quite some time after red was introduced. The Epoch info in the current Bemo catalogue suggests the red was introduced late 1960's or early 1970's. The prototype photos in the 1979 Bemo catalogue shows most coaches as green with a few red ones. The prototype photos in the 1984 Bemo catalogue show mixed trains of red or green for coaches and locos. There is one of a short passenger train containing a green coach, a FO coach in red and and a FO coach in white and red livery. Personally I think it is good to choose a period where livery was in transition as it adds variety to the stock - as long as the "rivet counters" don't spot the same number coach in two different liveries in the same train!

• Like 1

Back in 1980 on my first railway trip ti Europe we saw FO 81 on freight on the Ratbahn. Mention earlier of them working the Albula line but pic here is of it on the Disentis line at Reichenau.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for these excellent pictures. Here is my version,although it is early days on my layout build.

Cheers

John.

post-34157-0-69922500-1524848560_thumb.jpg

• Like 1