Theft from Mid Hants Railway

TomE

• RMweb Gold

Quite a strange collection of items stolen.  

Who would be looking to steal assorted fittings?

A chancer who thought they'd earn a few quid from the scrap man perhaps?

In the main from the list these items are none ferrous and have a far greater value than iron and steel.

The scrap metal trader are supposed to check the validity of people taking in items but following on from other recent thefts some are still as straight as a £9 note.

It reminds me of the character from MASH who stole parts from the motor pool and posted them home so when he got home there was a compete Jeep there as a kit. When I told the wife about the theft her reaction was "that's been stolen to order!" 

Marc

• RMweb Premium

It's a mistake to trivialize this, theft of non ferrous loco parts from preservation sites is one of the most costly and destructive ways to delay or prevent locos being returned to service. It keeps happening, whether by 'stolen to order' parasites or opportunistic scrappers. The costs are always far higher than the scrap value obtained.

Better security is needed at preservation works to prevent this but determined parasites will get through.

Dava

It's a mistake to trivialize this, theft of non ferrous loco parts from preservation sites is one of the most costly and destructive ways to delay or prevent locos being returned to service. It keeps happening, whether by 'stolen to order' parasites or opportunistic scrappers. The costs are always far higher than the scrap value obtained.

Better security is needed at preservation works to prevent this but determined parasites will get through.

Dava

I am not trying to trivialise it, I would be more than happy to 'have a chat' with the burglars and come to a clear understanding.

• RMweb Premium

On the whole I'd advise against confronting thieves, for one thing unless you're very sure of your own fighting abilities it may be you who ends up on the receiving end, and for another if things turn nasty you could end up in all sorts of legal bother.