Best Rail colour

My friend thinks , that orange derived " rust " colours for rail are too stark  he sprays his basically with sleeper grime .  Has anyone any suggestion as the best colours to spray rail and chairs to represent the typical colours , but equally to ensure a " muted" effect 

thanks 

Dave 

• RMweb Premium

For established track with timber sleepers an overall brown/grey for rail, chairs/clips and sleepers is easy and can include the ballast. This is a combination of oil, brake dust and general grime.

The rails/sleepers outside my house are two distinct shades of brown for the up and down lines.

There is about 5 years between the dates at which they were relaid. Both lines were relaid with steel sleepers, and the rails/sleepers are noticeably different between the two lines

Cheers,

Micvk

Most of the rail I see is close to sleeper grime colour and a long way from rust colour. A small number of 1960s photos show rail as being quite a bright rust colour but of course that could just be the film.

In the diesel age pretty much all of the track, sleepers, ballast and rail is oily black in stations, especially where trains stop for a long period.

The best thing to do is take a look at your local railway line.

I don't think that there is a "best" colour.

On a large layout such as Tony Wright's Little Bytham an overall mid grey looks effective.

However on a shunting plank a far greater distinction between the colour used for rails, chairs and sleepers can be used and it can appear to look very natural.

Then of course the lighting used and the height of the layout are going to have an influence on how it looks.

Then as others have mentioned there is period and type of stock to take into account.

Bernard